Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 PM

Question Intro--JaeRae218 from Indiana

I am concerned about my ex who is incarcerated at Cross City Correctional in Florida. He is classified as a habitual offender but more difficult is his sexual offender status. His crime was committed against an adult he knew. While serving his sentence for this offense the registry laws were put into effect. His past offenses presented challenges but this blanket offender status has made it impossible to find a secure place to live or from securing permanent employment. I have been trying to find a transitional program either in Florida or in Indiana with no success. It has prevented him from regaining his dignity or pursuing gainful employment without lying about his past. It has made it impossible to put down roots and has cemented him in a criminal cycle to survive. He is educated and skilled. Any insight or referral information would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,948 Times in 11,662 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm sorry that you are both having difficulty in planning his release.

I left Florida because it is one of the absolutely worst places for registered SOs. Their distance restrictions, which also include phantom "virtual- proposed" school bus stops and daycare centers, forced every registrant in Dade County to live for years in a tent under a Miami freeway bridge.

If he is released on parole or probation (even though Florida also did away with parole) where he is allowed to reside in FL will have to be approved by his PO.

I don't know about the rules in Indiana as compared to Florida. If he relocates to any new State, he will first have to be approved for a move (before he leaves) by the Interstate Compact office for adult offenders.
https://www.interstatecompact.org/st...le-of-contents

It's not easy, but there are definitely softer landing locations for released SOs than Florida. Research the SO registry rules for any location you are considering, but there may still be surprises, like Texas, that doesn't allow SOs to drive past any Church or school, even if they are driving on an interstate freeway.