Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 10-03-2004, 06:44 PM

Thumbs up Smoking in prison & info on Southern State Correctional Facility Vs South Woods State

Bad enough he's locked up for the first time in his 45 years, bad enough that they took him off his anti-depressants, but he can't smoke!! Once he's out of CRAF, do they allow the inmates to smoke?? Can I send him cigs or does he have to buy them in com.? He had quit 20+ years ago, and then with all of this he picked up the nasty little habit again. Wish I could, but can't afford it
Any info on Southern State vs. South Woods would be appreciated. With a 7 year sentence @85%, probably the two he'll be classified for.
Thanks for helping. Great place to go since there's noone/nowhere else to go for assistance!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Taking a break

Hey Suzanne...
They can smoke at prison & yes they have to buy them through the comesary...it's cheeper to buy the "roll your own cigs" then the "name brand packs". The roll your own aka Buglers (sp?) cost like $2.45 or so a pack and you're supposed to be able to get like 40 cigs from a pack and I heard from hubby that a pack of Malboros are like 6 something a pack.
No idea about Southern State vs South Woods.

HUGS...Keiko

...even if things look hopeless, you have to try. I wish people would realize that. Sometimes you have to try.
-J.Hylton
Old 10-03-2004, 08:01 PM

My nephew is in South Woods.
I was very surprised that they are able to smoke in their cells in SW. Plus he was allowed a TV and a hot pot. He says its not so bad at SW and 100% better than CRAF. The first time I sent money I was allowed to send up to $500. He needed sneakers, shaving cream, razors, guess he needed everything so they allowed me to send $500(and lets not forget the TV he needed) lol. Now I send $50 plus stamps every week, his mom also sends $50 a week.

His lawyer said South Woods was the best and thats what they asked for. At first we were told he was going to southern state, than the new lawyer asked for SW.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Taking a break

I think it depends on what CO is on duty, cause they "aren't" allowed to smoke in their "cells", cause Tony got caught once and got a "ticket" and almost had 30 days loss of rec, 30 days loss of comp time and 15 days in the hole. He was able to apeal and only got 5 days loss of rec, which meant: confined to his cell for the 5 days, but was still able to go to work, have visits and go to programs/classes. You just have to be carefull, cause not all the CO's are the same about sticking to the rules.

...even if things look hopeless, you have to try. I wish people would realize that. Sometimes you have to try.
-J.Hylton