Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:27 PM

Question South Woods State Prison

My fiance was told to ask for the drug program at South Woods..Does anyone know anything about it? I believe its called New Way..He believes he will be sent to reception on Thursday so any info I can pass on would be great..Thanks

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://webapps.nerdsonsite.com/utility/countdown.cgi?year=2005&month=09&day=16&offset=+12 "></script> days until you come home
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz0823
My fiance was told to ask for the drug program at South Woods..Does anyone know anything about it? I believe its called New Way..He believes he will be sent to reception on Thursday so any info I can pass on would be great..Thanks

Based on what my husband has shared with me. As soon as your husband is transferred he should request enrollment into the program. It is tough and don't tolerate much. Your finance must be serious about his recovery. God Bless You.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:39 PM

He plans on requesting it while at Craf. Thanks for the info.

<script language="JavaScript" src="http://webapps.nerdsonsite.com/utility/countdown.cgi?year=2005&month=09&day=16&offset=+12 "></script> days until you come home
Old 04-27-2004, 05:52 AM
Taking a break

The final phase of the Nu Way Therapeutic Community Program in-patient drug treatment program opened on January 19 at South Woods State Prison. The opening brought the total number of treatment beds available to inmates in the New Jersey corrections system to 1,259 statewide.
Nu Way and other drug abuse treatment program are the result of a gubernatorial and Department of Corrections initiative to increase the number of programs available to addicted offenders. Nu Way is part of NJDOC’s "continuum of care" treatment policy which places addicted inmates in institutional therapeutic communities. Those who successfully complete this phase of the program are placed in residential community release programs including the Mutual Agreement Program (MAP).
The Nu Way program was developed by the NJDOC Office of Drug Program Operations and is funded through a grant from the United States Department of Justice. Annual funding for Nu Way totals $1.3 million.
"I am strongly committed to not only eliminating the use and distribution of drugs in our facilities but also to the rehabilitation of inmates with substance abuse problems," said Corrections Commissioner Jack Terhune upon the opening of Nu Way’s final phase. "I have great expectations for the Nu Way Program and am hopeful that it will be successful in improving the life of the addicted offender."
The first phase of the Nu Way Program opened on December 15, 1997. Nu Way consists of four separate treatment programs, each independent of the others, housed at Facility 1 at South Woods. The January opening of the program’s fourth phase brought the total number of inmates enrolled in the program to 488 with a staff of 28.
Nu Way inmates are kept separate from the general prison population. They are initially assigned to an Orientation phase of 90 days, during which they program the entire day. Inmates are paid and receive work credits during the Orientation phase. Following Orientation, inmates enter Main Treatment, where academic and vocational education opportunities are offered. More than 200 inmates who have completed the Orientation phase of the program are currently assigned to educational classes at South Woods. In the final Re-Entry phase, inmates continue in treatment but take on additional responsibilities and participate in institutional work assignments in preparation for transfer to community-based MAP programs.
Inmates participate in Nu Way for nine to twelve months. The program is the first component of New Jersey’s "continuum of care" providing treatment for recovering inmates in prison. Upon completion of Nu Way, inmates undergo an additional seven to ten months of community-based residential treatment and are finally released to specially-trained parole officers who pay close attention to issues of early relapse identification and intervention.

...even if things look hopeless, you have to try. I wish people would realize that. Sometimes you have to try.
-J.Hylton