Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 PM
HisLove

Default Records request

My husband wrote to me that he needs his discovery and some other paper. His lawyer didn't ever get them to him even tho he was asked plenty of time's and now he's sentenced so his lawyer won't answer the phone (not that i expected him to) where can I get these papers for him or atleast records showing what he was charged with?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 02:03 PM
She's Home! Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,884 Times in 1,919 Posts

Id start by getting documents from the courthouse in terms of showing his arraignment and his sentencing minutes. Id also go to the police department or sheriffs station where he was booked and ask for copies of reports. Then Id go from there....not sure that will get you everything but that is a good place to start to get that information.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Mels5 (01-16-2018), Sarianna (01-17-2018), sidewalker (01-17-2018), xolady (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 03:34 PM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Id start by getting documents from the courthouse in terms of showing his arraignment and his sentencing minutes. Id also go to the police department or sheriffs station where he was booked and ask for copies of reports. Then Id go from there....not sure that will get you everything but that is a good place to start to get that information.
What about going to the ciunty clerks/ records office . Do you think the papers that say what he was charged with is enough
Old 01-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,049 Times in 6,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels5 View Post
What about going to the ciunty clerks/ records office . Do you think the papers that say what he was charged with is enough
What are the papers being used for?
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 04:23 PM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
What are the papers being used for?
Im assuming to show what he's in for.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:03 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
My husband wrote to me that he needs his discovery and some other paper. His lawyer didn't ever get them to him even tho he was asked plenty of time's and now he's sentenced so his lawyer won't answer the phone (not that i expected him to) where can I get these papers for him or atleast records showing what he was charged with?
If you are trying to get the Abstract of Judgment (minute order) You or anyone else can obtain that from the courts. On the matter of Discovery. What is trying to obtain through discovery? If he is trying to obtain police reports, or court transcripts .He will need to request these in writing to his attorney.
You can not just go and buy a copies of a police report from the police when it is a criminal matter . You can request copies from the D.A This would be filling out the discovery form . Then the DA will only provide limited discovery to a unrepresented party of a settled criminal matter. Back to square one He must go through his counsel and get what he needs as far as Police reports, investigators reports. If he is looking for names of people that talked a majority the reports do not contain that information . That is kept in a confidential file(section of the file ) which is only available to prosecutors, defense attorney and Judges
Fridyrr.Likn (01-17-2018), Jersey Joe (01-17-2018), Mels5 (01-16-2018), Sarianna (01-17-2018), sidewalker (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:15 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,049 Times in 6,852 Posts

Quote:
Im assuming to show what he's in for.
Is this for a "show your papers" thing? Meaning inmates ask other inmates what they're in for and to prove it based on paperwork.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (01-17-2018), Mels5 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:24 PM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Is this for a "show your papers" thing? Meaning inmates ask other inmates what they're in for and to prove it based on paperwork.
Yes it is
Old 01-16-2018, 05:25 PM
HisLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
If you are trying to get the Abstract of Judgment (minute order) You or anyone else can obtain that from the courts. On the matter of Discovery. What is trying to obtain through discovery? If he is trying to obtain police reports, or court transcripts .He will need to request these in writing to his attorney.
You can not just go and buy a copies of a police report from the police when it is a criminal matter . You can request copies from the D.A This would be filling out the discovery form . Then the DA will only provide limited discovery to a unrepresented party of a settled criminal matter. Back to square one He must go through his counsel and get what he needs as far as Police reports, investigators reports. If he is looking for names of people that talked a majority the reports do not contain that information . That is kept in a confidential file(section of the file ) which is only available to prosecutors, defense attorney and Judges
Thank u i guess ill just have to continue trying to get a hold of his lawyer.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:48 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Thank u i guess ill just have to continue trying to get a hold of his lawyer.
If you are just trying to get the paper work that details what he is in prison for you can do this yourself. You may be able to order the Abstract of judgment , on line if you know the county in which sent him to prison, Have a case number, I know for sure you can personally purchases such item. Do a party search , Or even by date if you should know any one or more of these items. bigger counties have different area in which court is held. Doing a criminal case look up would not be that hard to do. If you want court transcripts they can also be obtained by contacting the sentencing court. Any other detailed information reports would have to come from his attorney.
Fridyrr.Likn (01-17-2018), gvalliant (01-17-2018), Mels5 (01-16-2018), missingdee (01-16-2018), Sarianna (01-17-2018), sidewalker (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,326 Times in 14,294 Posts

The abstract of judgement should be enough.
But you would likely have to go to the county court office to get them.
Its a nominal fee for each page they print out.

At least that is what I did for my hub when he needed his paperwork (although it didnt say what he wanted it to say re: parole term)

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 PM
She's Home! Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,884 Times in 1,919 Posts

We figured it out for Los Angeles County (which is where he was tried.)

As long as you have the case number, you can go through the Superior Court website and get information as far as charges that were initially filed, dates of court appearances, any bail information that was available, and if the case has been decided, the disposition as far as what charges were convicted on and any sentence in terms of time to serve and fines/restitution. It's not as good as some county websites (San Bernardino is decent, it used to be AMAZING in terms of the information given) but it has improved from a few years ago where you had to look up by name and pay like $5 per spin. And definitely helps by saving a trip to the courthouse if all you need is basic information (of course, if that's not enough info then you can go to the courthouse and request specific minutes, abstract of judgment, etc.)

Note that this information is in regards to Los Angeles County ONLY. It helps in Mel's situation but may not in others.

-E
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (01-17-2018), Sarianna (01-18-2018), sidewalker (01-18-2018), xolady (01-17-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:

My son's attorney did the same; as in not providing him the documents he wanted. One attorney gave him what he wanted, but it was so redacted that it was of no use. My son's discovery was confiscated in the search of his property; it was HIS evidence to prove his innocence. No one knows where it is, we can't even get a copy of the arrest warrant; believe me we have tried. It is not in his case file at the courthouse. When I asked the at the DA's office they hooked me up on the phone with someone who told me that his last attorney should have a copy. the last attorney will not reply. When I gave this DA the info about this attorney she said she would get back to; she did not and has not responded to any of phone messages, this was over 6 months ago. I cant figure out what the big deal is to get a copy of the warrant.