Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news & information Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in Georgia, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Default First COVID-19 Case in GA DOC

I guess it was only a matter of time before the Coronavirus hit the GA DOC.

First case reported at a GA prison involves an employee that last reported for work on March 12th. No idea when they first began exhibiting symptoms but hopefully more details will be in the news soon.

Info on GA DOC page at http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/NewsRoom/PressReleases/georgia-department-corrections-coronavirus-covid-19
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2020, 07:35 PM

Thanked 2,362 Times in 928 Posts

It was only a matter of time for sure. Now the scary part is that a prison full of people with limited medical care & cleanliness that is not the best is a perfect place for the virus to take off. There's nowhere to escape it.

Here is a link to the DOC corona virus policy. http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/NewsRoom...id-19-response
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-19-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:37 PM

Fulton County Jail is starting to release non-violent, pre-trial detainees.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...1Lgkb9Qn7WCXN/

The ACLU is calling for a commutation of sentences that will end in the next 12 months or inmates that are vulnerable (by age and pre-existing health conditions). This makes sense given that the DOC will need to have a manageable population to maintain the necessary distancing as well as account for staff reductions that may happen due to the virus.

Last edited by newnormal; 03-20-2020 at 04:45 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newnormal For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-21-2020), Lordbew/us (03-20-2020), patchouli (03-20-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:50 AM

Lee State Prison in Leesburg is reporting three confirmed cases of COVID-19 and three other inmates exhibiting symptoms. The confirmed cases are being treated in hospital and the other three have been isolated form the general population.

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/NewsRoom...ovid-19-update

No matter what precautions the DOC puts in the place the close quarters will undoubtedly result in significant community spread in both the inmate and staff populations. Also, given the woeful state of the DOC medical capability, I fear that the in-facility treatment won't do much to help those that will suffer from this disease.

We can only hope that the DOC and the Dept of Pardons and Parole institutes policies for early release of some soon-to-be-released offenders and at-risk inmates. Thinning out the inmate population will be the only way to manage the rampant spread of COVID-19 within this vulnerable group.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to newnormal For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-22-2020), Lordbew/us (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 03:52 PM

My son is now an advocate in Ga after his release. He said the DOC issued the press release after 10pm last night so it would hit after most news broadcasts. He also said it is reported in the AJC newspaper & on Channel 11 website. Makes me wonder how many other cases will pop up at other facilities. They aren't equipped to handle any illnesses especially ones that spread like this. I'm glad my son is no longer in a facility but I am worried about the others that have nowhere safe to be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-22-2020), newnormal (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:00 PM

Thanked 2,519 Times in 880 Posts

Dang!
Those inmates that have done most of their time and are close to getting out need to be released NOW!
Newnormal know's first hand the medical care in the prison system is well below par!!!!!!! I'm praying God's protection over all the inmates and staff....especially your son newnormal!!!! You know I'm praying right along with you for an early release!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
newnormal (03-22-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:49 PM

More cases at Lees SP as reported by GA DOC in a Monday, Mar 23rd news release.

Three (3) offenders remain at the hospital after being confirmed positive for COVID-19 (one admitted March 15 and two admitted March 16)
One offender admitted on March 22 for observation and flu-like symptoms; not yet tested
Ten (10) offenders isolated in quarantine at Lee SP for observation for exhibiting flu-like symptoms; of those, four (4) have been tested for COVID-19 and results are pending.
Read the full news release here

We checked with our son at Wilcox and he hasn't seen or heard of any cases there and there haven't been (so far) any reports, anecdotal or confirmed, of other facilities seeing any cases but I think with the case spread we're reading out in the news its only a matter of time. I hope I'm wrong.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to newnormal For This Useful Post:
GaReform (03-26-2020), GingerM (03-27-2020), Lordbew/us (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 07:19 PM

Advocacy groups in Georgia are urging people to contact elected officials to share their concerns for their loved ones. The ACLU of Georgia has written the governor urging him to take action to help the people incarcerated. Here is an article that details what they're doing & what some of the situations are. https://www.acluga.org/en/news/no-ex...ready-covid-19

The National Incarceration Association is one of the advocacy groups taking action & has some suggestions on their site. https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=4c36f533d4

Last edited by GaReform; 03-26-2020 at 07:22 PM..
GingerM (03-27-2020), newnormal (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:19 AM

The GA DOC has reported the first death of an inmate. The 49 yr old was one of the first inmates at Lee SP to contract the virus and died on Mar 26th at a local hospital.

Also, there is a new confirmed case at Philips SP in Buford, GA and four staff members at unknown facilities (why GA DOC won't share their locations is beyond me) have also tested positive.

More details here.

Stay safe everyone.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnormal View Post
The GA DOC has reported the first death of an inmate. The 49 yr old was one of the first inmates at Lee SP to contract the virus and died on Mar 26th at a local hospital.

Also, there is a new confirmed case at Philips SP in Buford, GA and four staff members at unknown facilities (why GA DOC won't share their locations is beyond me) have also tested positive.

More details here.

Stay safe everyone.

Advocacy groups are sending letters to all officials urging them to:
limit pre-trial detention for non-violent offenses,
expedite release of people at high risk of virus & low risk of reoffending,
order medical furloughs & compassionate release,
release of people in pre-trial detention or within 6 months of release.

Hopefully they will enact some of these (or all) & help our loved ones be as safe as possible. This will also help protect those people working in the system so they stay healthy & stop further spread in the communities where they live.
GingerM (03-28-2020), newnormal (03-28-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 03:50 PM

There was an article about the death of Anthony Cheek from Lee SP in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newpaper today. A lot of points made about advocacy efforts to help thin out the prison population to reduce the level of infection but based on the paragraph below from the article that doesn't seem likely to happen any time soon:

"Gov. Brian Kemp has declined to support for any such releases. The Georgia Board of Pardons and Parole has said it is still making release decisions based on public safety and not changing because of coronavirus."

Unfortunately, as a society we're much more action-oriented when after the crisis (in this case community spread and deaths) occurs rather than take the preventative steps to avoid or mitigate the impact in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to newnormal For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-28-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 09:51 PM

According to this article there is supposed to be a "sanitation officer" at each prison to oversee cleaning efforts. https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...Cbmr6h8tLrsGO/
I saw there is a quarantine in a dorm at the Gwinnett County work release facility. They have a case there. The infected person was released to go home to be treated from what I read. https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/gwi...tests-positive

GingerM (03-28-2020), newnormal (03-28-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 02:51 PM

I heard that someone at Wheeler has tested positive for corona. They were only being quarantined & not taken to the hospital. The only report I heard said someone tested positive in Wheeler County but didn't mention that it was actually at the Wheeler facility. Since it's a private prison they definitely don't want their stockholders worried.
GingerM (03-30-2020), newnormal (03-29-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 02:50 PM

Latest news release from GA DOC shows that as of March 30, 2020, the GDC has eleven (11) reported positive COVID-19 cases and one (1) death in the offender population, and eleven (11) reported positive COVID-19 cases among staff. At least now they are showing the staff locations when they previously would not report in detail due to "HIPAA restrictions". The HIPAA rules are specific to the personal information of the person and not to the business or location of their employment.

They have set up a case tracker showing the reported cases for inmates and staff at http://www.gdc.ga.gov/content/cases. I wish they had also listed the suspected cases awaiting test results but this is progress.

Stay safe everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to newnormal For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:35 PM

Yes it looks like the T.C. residents at Phillip's that are going out to work will be furloughed FINALLY! I'm not sure if I should be mad at the company or the prison system!

I'm sure the prison system is hating to put out numbers to the public when they are so use to being able to keep all their business hush, hush to the public! Wink, wink!

My son's employer has Phillips T.C. guys working at the company and I have been wondering all month when this was going to stop!!!! Prayers for all of the staffers and inmates that this doesn't spread further! I surely hope that this doesn't get out of hand!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
GingerM (03-31-2020), newnormal (03-31-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordbew/us View Post
Yes it looks like the T.C. residents at Phillip's that are going out to work will be furloughed FINALLY! I'm not sure if I should be mad at the company or the prison system!

I'm sure the prison system is hating to put out numbers to the public when they are so use to being able to keep all their business hush, hush to the public! Wink, wink!

My son's employer has Phillips T.C. guys working at the company and I have been wondering all month when this was going to stop!!!! Prayers for all of the staffers and inmates that this doesn't spread further! I surely hope that this doesn't get out of hand!!!!

It makes you crazy! Is your son working at the chicken plant? My son was there when he was at the TC. Some other guys worked at a landscaping company. It is going to be rough to have everyone confined indefinitely. Sure hope they all stay healthy.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
It makes you crazy! Is your son working at the chicken plant? My son was there when he was at the TC. Some other guys worked at a landscaping company. It is going to be rough to have every
one confined indefinitely. Sure hope they all stay healthy.
No thank GOD! My son works at a company that makes a/c ventilation systems. He's continued to work there since leaving T/C and coming home. His supervisor seems to be a great caring guy!!!!
It's very worrisome because we all know*** the for SHIT** care these guys get while they are in the system. Philips T/C is despicable and ought to be condemned and torn down! I had to bite my tongue the entire time my son was in that pig sty, slum hole! Those in charge including the warden/superintendent ought to be ashamed of themselves!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and some of these cocky officers that work in these prisons....they ought to be the one's behind bars!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
GaReform (03-31-2020)