Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Information relating to the Colorado Department of Corrections. This includes info about Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:00 PM

Default Tablets/ letter to Dean Williams

Hi,
My loved one is Limon. They/we are trying to get a movement going to reinstate tablets again. It is an extremely difficult time now especially with this pandemic.

We are hoping that with enough letters to Dean Williams the Director of DOC that they will revisit the tablets to make communication with our incarcerated loved ones a little bit easier.

If you have some time could you express your feelings about the communication hardships and the hopes of possibly reinstating tablets ... with enough people supporting this issue and expressing their concerns with Mr Williams it is possible to have the tablets reinstated and be-able to communicate with our loved ones.

Here is a letter that was composed for all to use if you like but feel free to write your own. Letters need to be sent to Dean Williams Dean.Williams@STATE.CO.US

Dear Sir,
Your efforts in mitigation of Covid exposure in the department of corrections is to be commended. Though appreciated the unpredictable communication with a loved one incarcerated in DOC is stressful. Not knowing if they are locked down for quarantine is the source of the stress. It is important to know that our loved one is as safe as possible during this most difficult time.
Understanding you have taken measures to keep families and loved ones connected by implementing “video visits” and providing more access to the telephones; it is believed that some factors were not completely considered a short list might be:

A) Not everyone is able to spend $4.00 for a 10 minute video in this declining economy
B) Not all are on an active visiting list.
C) Not all offenders are eligible for video visits.
D) Not all offenders can afford to pay $2.40 for a 20 minute phone call.
E) with modified operations in the DOC there are more offenders accessing a limited number of phones. This creates stress due to waiting in line just to contact a family member.

None of these reasons should preclude families or offenders from communication with each other’s yet they do.

Would you please seriously consider reinstating the GTL media tablets with the messaging and telephone apps to every offender. Or one that is comparable to the GTL tablet. The program was a positive outlet for communication before its suspension in June 2018 for security reasons. It is assumed that GTL has resolved their issues as other states in the country are using GTL tablets. Also consider that with today’s technology that USPS is antiquated when important information needs to be communicated. 3 to 5 days of high stress wondering if a loved one is sick or on quarantine would be torture while waiting for a letter. A more rapid way to receive that information would be a factor in alleviating some of that stress and start the healing process.
When a facility is on lockdown it doesn’t just effect the offender population or the DOC staff. It effects everyone associated with the DOC; families and friends of both the population and staff.

Lastly consider the offenders that do not contact their loved ones on a regular basis. For the loved ones to have an option to contact the offender and possibly receive a same-day reply would would/does greatly reduce worry and stress.

Sir, your mantra is normalization. Rapid communication is today’s norm. Thank you for your consideration in this matter. Your efforts to provide a safe and forward thinking environment in the DOC is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Thanked 12,179 Times in 5,094 Posts

Thank you I have sent an email to Dean Williams. My husband is on phase 3 lockdown and we havent spoken in a month. I got 5 letters from him today all dated differently all posted at the same time. They took 3 weeks to get here. Its inhumane and GTL provide tablets in several states why is Colorado still denying inmates access to fast communication it makes me so mad. Thank you for the letter template.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:38 AM

This was the response I got: Its very disappointing they were saying the same thing back in 2018 with no action whatsoever. I mean how can you claim to be pro family when you treat families this way.

Good morning,
Your email to Executive Director Williams was referred to me for response. Colorado Department of Corrections is working with GTL to develop a plan to pilot new tablets at Arkansas Valley Correctional Facility in the near future for a six month trial. If the implementation at that facility goes according to plan, the department will be able to move forward with preparing for implementation at other facilities. We do not currently have information as to when the new tablets will be ready for department-wide distribution; more information will be forthcoming in the future regarding the implementation, availability, and functionality.
Kind regards,
Lisa Wiley

Lisa M. Wiley
Constituent Services Coordinator

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:40 PM

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but unfortunately any emails to Dean Williams will get forwarded immediately to Lisa Sanchez at constituent services. He has an administrative assistant that opens and reads his emails. He has a second email that is not available for public use. My husband was incarcerated for over 20 years and I had the opportunity to sit down with Dean Williams when he came on board. I truly believe he has good intentions but DOC is such a corrupt organization he does not stand a chance. I seriously doubt tablets will come back anytime soon. from what mr. Williams told me they would eventually like to have them back at lower level facilities however Limon is not one of them. I know the tablets sure would be beneficial during this time of pandemic. They were nice while they lasted!

The Following User Says Thank You to nancyginnm For This Useful Post:
gallega1211 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 PM

Thank you for your input. However we can,t just give up change will never happen if we do? For me it’s better to try and fail than not even try in the first place.