Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:35 AM

Default American Felon Husband Moving to Australia

Hello,

Forgive me if this is the wrong spot but just a question:

My fiancé lives in America and we would like to have him move here to Australia if at all possible. If I were to go to USA and we marry would he be able to come into Australia as my husband and stay or is there just no hope whatsoever regardless if married or not?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,029 Times in 7,143 Posts

Fact Sheet 79 - The Character Requirement
Quote:
Everyone who wishes to enter or stay in Australia must satisfy the character requirement as set out in Section 501 of the Migration Act 1958 (the Act). This includes all non-citizens, sponsors of visa applicants and non-migrating family members seeking to enter or stay in Australia.
There is broad discretion allowed, so it is *possible* but I would not depend on it.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
MyssDemeanor (01-09-2015)
Old 11-19-2014, 06:50 PM

Thanked 11,111 Times in 6,008 Posts

Cannot speak to felons...the acquaintance I have that moved from the States to Australia had to demonstrate the financial means to support herself, which included having a pretty sizable bank account at the time of the initial move. Seems to me she was there for about two years before the request for citizenship was approved.

Your best bet is to check with whichever agency handles immigration-related matters. The US Consulate there MIGHT also be able to offer some advice, but my guess is they refer you to the local government entity...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
MyssDemeanor (01-09-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,295 Posts

Hi, I had a bit of a search for you, and given that he is a felon, he may not pass the "character test". Here is a link to the Australian Immigration site, that gives you information about criminal convictions and staying in Oz. Hope it helps.

http://www.immi.gov.au/About/Pages/m...-sheet-79.aspx
Old 03-10-2020, 09:30 PM

hu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssDemeanor View Post
Hello,

Forgive me if this is the wrong spot but just a question:

My fiancé lives in America and we would like to have him move here to Australia if at all possible. If I were to go to USA and we marry would he be able to come into Australia as my husband and stay or is there just no hope whatsoever regardless if married or not?
No...he will not be able to visit Australia with a felony. He can apply, but expect a long wait and most likely a denial.