Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 08-09-2019, 03:53 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,350 Posts
Default When A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Yesterday I was at the library here in downtown Ft. Worth and I saw something that made me think of each of you. There's a photo on display in one of the corridors/halls of a woman sitting with a little boy. They're both in separate chairs. She looks to be in the twilight years and he looks to be...hmm....I don't know....no more that 7 or 8 maybe.....maybe younger. The lady, Hazel Vaughn Leigh (July 27, 1897 – April 27, 1995), a philanthropist, was the founder of the Boys Club here in Ft Worth.
I'll be 59 in October and it's a mystery to me how a photo or a picture can say so much about then, now and can be a way of defining or shedding light on something deep within that for the most part remains hidden. I actually teared up when I stood there looking at this photo.....AND I THOUGHT OF EACH OF YOU.
And you're not just a mother to someone in prison. You're a mother to someone who lost their mother while they were in prison. You are never alone in your suffering and the nights when you cannot sleep. I'm right there with you in thought and spirit. I feel your pain. One day at a time you'll live through this. The world is a better place because women like you care enough to bear a burden that only a mother can endure. There's more to be said for the strength and the forbearance of human being in the hard times than the happy, joyous and free moments we all miss or long for. Yes.....we all want to be happy and experience sadness when there's too little of it. And who do we come home to when no one else understands or knows how heal those wounds or confusion or suffering that only you can heal, Mom. You are not alone.
Itshardtowait (08-09-2019), jeannbean64 (08-17-2019), LifeTraveler (08-09-2019), lizlizzie2 (08-14-2019), sass4221 (08-09-2019), She'sMyAngel (08-20-2019), trauma4us (08-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Thanked 2,487 Times in 869 Posts

Hi Firebrand, I wanted to acknowledge and thank you for sharing your insight! Your post speaks volumes to the love you have for your mother and with no doubt I know she loved you through it all and forever!
I hope you're doing better with your health and doors are opening for you!!!!!
God Bless!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (08-19-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 02:16 PM

Thanked 1,786 Times in 713 Posts

It's wonderful to read your words. My son was incarcerated & is now home for a bit over a year. Our children are still in our heart & we love them even when they do things that test our strength. So nice to see that love is valued & matters. It's what keeps us going. Bless you for reminding us of that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-14-2019), Firebrand (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 02:32 PM

Beautiful! Thank you for this. I love my son beyond words. I will always love him no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
Yesterday I was at the library here in downtown Ft. Worth and I saw something that made me think of each of you. There's a photo on display in one of the corridors/halls of a woman sitting with a little boy. They're both in separate chairs. She looks to be in the twilight years and he looks to be...hmm....I don't know....no more that 7 or 8 maybe.....maybe younger. The lady, Hazel Vaughn Leigh (July 27, 1897 – April 27, 1995), a philanthropist, was the founder of the Boys Club here in Ft Worth.
I'll be 59 in October and it's a mystery to me how a photo or a picture can say so much about then, now and can be a way of defining or shedding light on something deep within that for the most part remains hidden. I actually teared up when I stood there looking at this photo.....AND I THOUGHT OF EACH OF YOU.
And you're not just a mother to someone in prison. You're a mother to someone who lost their mother while they were in prison. You are never alone in your suffering and the nights when you cannot sleep. I'm right there with you in thought and spirit. I feel your pain. One day at a time you'll live through this. The world is a better place because women like you care enough to bear a burden that only a mother can endure. There's more to be said for the strength and the forbearance of human being in the hard times than the happy, joyous and free moments we all miss or long for. Yes.....we all want to be happy and experience sadness when there's too little of it. And who do we come home to when no one else understands or knows how heal those wounds or confusion or suffering that only you can heal, Mom. You are not alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADmom For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 07:58 PM

Thanked 1,027 Times in 458 Posts

Thank you so much.

My son was quite rude and nasty to me when he was a teen, in his 20's we were civil and got along but we led separate lives as he was an adult. He was arrested at 28 and he is now 34 and truly has changed - I hope the change is permanent because even though I love my son so much, I know in my heart I can't go thru this again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
choclgs (08-20-2019), fbopnomore (08-19-2019), Firebrand (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:07 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordbew/us View Post
Hi Firebrand, I wanted to acknowledge and thank you for sharing your insight! Your post speaks volumes to the love you have for your mother and with no doubt I know she loved you through it all and forever!
I hope you're doing better with your health and doors are opening for you!!!!!
God Bless!
Every time I see your avatar I think of that old song that asks "Who's....that...doggie.....in.....window?"

I hope you're doing well, dear. You're a fine person and a good mom. PTO is blessed to have you, here.
Lordbew/us (Today)
Old 08-20-2019, 06:08 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
It's wonderful to read your words. My son was incarcerated & is now home for a bit over a year. Our children are still in our heart & we love them even when they do things that test our strength. So nice to see that love is valued & matters. It's what keeps us going. Bless you for reminding us of that.
Thank you for the kind thoughts and words, hon. Yes, family means so much. I'm glad that things are going well for you all. Hope your loved one stays out and never returns.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:10 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADmom View Post
Beautiful! Thank you for this. I love my son beyond words. I will always love him no matter what.
Moms such as you are the greatest of virtues in this life and without you its a lonely world. Thank you for the kind thoughts and words
Old 08-20-2019, 06:12 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
Thank you so much.

My son was quite rude and nasty to me when he was a teen, in his 20's we were civil and got along but we led separate lives as he was an adult. He was arrested at 28 and he is now 34 and truly has changed - I hope the change is permanent because even though I love my son so much, I know in my heart I can't go thru this again.
Time has a way of changing things and especially when you're doing that time in prison. It sounds like your son has grown up a bit and that's a good thing. I hope the future for all of you is a bright one with hope and happiness. Thank you for the kind words.