Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Remembering Those That Passed While In Prison This forum is for all those - family, friends, spouses, wives, husbands, significant others, brothers, sisters, parents, and children - who lost a loved one or friend while incarcerated.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:33 PM

Default Will they notify girlfriend of inmate if inmate dies

Hi I am having trouble locating my boyfriend. I knew where he was and he wrote Mr and told me to come visit and it was 2hours away which it was set up by a counselor which was the day after I talked to the counselor. When I got there and checked in they informed me that he wasnt there and wasnt sure where he was said that he might of been transferred I waoted a few days and didn't hear from him. I check the website and its still saying he's still in the same prison I called the automated messaging and its saying hes not there. I called the counselor he said hes in the system and doesnt know where hes at. Its been over a week and still haven't heard anything. Not receiving any calls back from the prison or emails. Talked to his family they haven't heard anything. I know he has epilepsy and just wanna make sure hes ok. If he did pass away will I be notified ? Has anyone ever had a similar experience ?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 10:41 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,977 Times in 1,742 Posts

Sorry you are going through this. They should notify whoever is his emergency contact. Maybe have one of his parents call?
His_Queen13 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:06 PM
She's Home! Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,884 Times in 1,919 Posts

Chances are that if he has died they would have notified his emergency contact which I would assume would be you or his parents. They canít disclose medical information because of privacy laws, but be assured, if he is alive and has not been incapacitated to the point where next of kin would need to be alerted to his condition, then he is fine.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-10-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 11:28 PM

His mom doesn't live in the same place or the same number. I'm just confused because the website and counselor both say he's in the system but the automated call system says hes not there and I can't make a video visitation visit either.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:44 PM

Thanked 1,140 Times in 572 Posts

Could he be in the SHU? In the Federal system it would still show the person is at the same facility if they are in the SHU, but not list that they're in the SHU. In that case, they can't get visitors and lose all their phone and email privileges. Maybe you can call back and ask if that's where he is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-10-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,501 Times in 2,624 Posts

From personal experience:

1. If he's died, and you're registered on VINE, you will get a call saying he's left the prison.

2. If he dies, unless you were his emergency contact, they cannot give you any information, however, he will no longer appear in the system.

3. He may be "out on medical" (in the hospital). This would end up with the results you're finding. They can't give out information due to privacy laws, he will appear to still be in custody, but he won't appear as being at any particular institution. In Oregon, the system will list him as in the hospital, but if you aren't the emergency contact, they can't tell you that, they can only say he's not in an institution but is still in the system.

In your position, I would call his Mom and have her contact the prison. If he is in the hospital, she (assuming she's his emergency contact) will be the only person who can get that information.

Another option is to mail letters to any other inmate whose name you can remember who knew him - word travels fast and I found that inmates are very quick to tell family members what they "know". Just be careful because what they "know" is all second hand information. If you do find out anything via this route, make sure to write back and let the person who told you what was going on know that you appreciated his help and here's what you've found out...

I'm sorry he seems to have gotten "lost". I hope you find him soon and that it's nothing more than a paperwork error.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
candy (02-20-2018), choclgs (02-10-2018), fbopnomore (02-09-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018), missingdee (02-09-2018), nimuay (02-09-2018), Sarianna (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Thanked 1,005 Times in 568 Posts

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'm sure if he had died he would no longer be on the system. Perhaps try calling the chaplain at the facility but he might not be able to tell you anything either.
The Following User Says Thank You to judiwoo For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 AM

Thanked 5,862 Times in 3,056 Posts

From personal experience he's probably at an outside hospital. Even if you are his emergency contact they won't notify you of this and can't tell you. I'm so sorry your going thru this I have and it sucks. I registered with vine link but my husband had hippa releases for me and his mother. Plus we had a trusted friend in with him that had me and his mother on his phone list and he would call us if something happened, like my husband going to hospital. That was always our quickest source of information!!!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 PM

Thanks for all the responses. His mother or any of his family doesn't care about him. I know he has been in the hole for the last few months and still was able to write and have visits. I have a 12 yr old son with him so I'm extremely worried because he does have epilepsy. I contacted his mom but she won't call. He is still in the system through vinelink. Just when I call the actual jail they said they hsve no one there with that name or birth date. I'm just Still really confused.thought about maybe he doesn't want contact with me anymore that's why I wasn't hearing from him. But that doesn't explain why hes not in the prison
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kristimarie1004 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-10-2018), fbopnomore (02-09-2018), Sarianna (02-10-2018), xolady (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:18 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,154 Times in 11,765 Posts

You may get some tips on how to find more information by asking the folks at the Pennsylvania Prison Society in Philadelphia.
http://www.prisonsociety.org/
Old 02-10-2018, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,501 Times in 2,624 Posts

I'm really sorry you're going through this. Have you tried mailing him something? And if so, is your mail being returned?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-10-2018), Sarianna (02-10-2018), sidewalker (02-10-2018), xolady (02-10-2018)