Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics General discussion forum for the UK. Come in and discuss issues in the British justice/prison system as well as your own personal issues.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 12:48 PM

HI LAURA FROM (TEXAS!) I AM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MAN BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE FOR MY MAN TO MAKE HEADLINES FOR 11 STRAIGHT DAYS . FIRST OF ALL YOU ARE WELCOME ON PTO JUST AS EVERYONE ELSE IS, AND I AM VERY GLAD TO BE TALKING TO AN ENGLISH PERSON OR PERSONS I WOULD LOVE TO TRAVEL TO ENGLAND AND GO TO THE MUSEUMS AND CASTLES SO PLEASE KEEP POSTING WE AMERICANS ARE ALSO VERY NICE PEOPLE.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Closed

I apologise for getting your name wrong, I'm reading this on a grainy screen on a puter with a dead graphics card and the two look similar to me.

I didnt say you were demanding a change, that was an example I was giving. Of course everyone can make suggestions, especially when Fed-X agrees, I just think when you are new somewhere it is polite to go with the flow for a while at least, before asking for change.

On the Texas forum, there are people who live in Tx AND people who have loved ones incarcerated there. From what I've seen, that's how all the regional forums work. The UK is part of Europe, but its also smaller than most of the US states. All you need to do is put a thread asking for fellow Brits to contact you, and you'll get replies. You dont need a separate forum just to be in touch for people who live in the UK with loved ones in UK prisons. There would prolly be no more than a handful of regular users.

Strangely enough, I've always felt there was a European atmosphere in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English'n'alone
Silva, one more thing, did I actually walk in and demand to change things???? No, read the post and you'll see I only asked who would be interested in a UK forum. You could do with some lessons in manners yourself, does the fact you have been on PTO longer than me mean I'm not allowed to post suggestions, get a grip love! The only people who have been unfriendly here have been the Brits.

Rose, I can see why no Brits stick around, (unless they have inmates in the USA that is). I wouldn't expect them to with the atmosphere in here.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Banned

Lorna, There was no offence intended. You asked a question. I answered it from my point of view. You know that us Brits are outright and direct mostly, when asked a question.
No I don't think the Americans complained when different forums were set up, but you have to remember that most of the UK would fit into Texas! There are many many more Americans than there could ever be British people on this site.

Last edited by jude; 07-23-2005 at 08:40 AM..
Old 07-29-2005, 06:36 AM
love & peace

FOR GOODNESS SAKE ! THIS IS LIKE A LOT OF HIGH SCHOOL KIDS!!!!!
WHY NOT TRY

PEACE , LOVE & UNITY

SURELY THE THING THAT BONDS US , NAMELY HAVING A LOVED ONE IN PRISON SHOULD BE THE THING THAT SERVES TO BOND US NOT DIVIDE US............
Old 07-30-2005, 04:53 PM

I'm new here and I'd like the idea of a UK forum.

Why? Because there is nothing like PTO for the UK...NOTHING. Nowhere where you can hear other people's experiences, get some idea of how things are going on, what the set up is. This place is one of a kind. I'm desperate to find out as much information about the set up where my boyfriend is now and I'm not getting very far. If there were a UK forum, it would help distinguish between the set up in the USA and the set up over here. Visitation, phones, treatment, regimes - all these things are experiences that people could share with someone like me, sinking in quicksand.

However, I can perfectly understand the reasons behind not setting up. Maybe sometime in the future when the UK presence is a bit more established and warrants a forum of its own.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:19 AM
Frenchy Member

Wow, I come back from holidays and almost find a catfight in the usually so peaceful Europe forum !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.taylor
there is nothing like PTO for the UK...NOTHING. Nowhere where you can hear other people's experiences, get some idea of how things are going on, what the set up is. This place is one of a kind. I'm desperate to find out as much information about the set up where my boyfriend is now and I'm not getting very far. If there were a UK forum, it would help distinguish between the set up in the USA and the set up over here. Visitation, phones, treatment, regimes - all these things are experiences that people could share with someone like me, sinking in quicksand.
You don't "need" a UK forum for that. At the beginning of PTO, we didn't have all those forums, and at the beginning of PTO we didn't have all those informations. Who made PTO grow up the size it is today ?? His members.

You are just a small amount of UK members with loved ones incarcerated in UK prisons, and I can understand you feel lonely. However, how many threads have you started to share your experience of the UK prisons ?? None. How can people from the UK find us if there's nothing from the UK posted on PTO ?? Also, when you go visiting your loved ones, how often do you mention PTO to other visitors and ask them to join ??? That's the way PTO started, someone told someone who told someone etc.....

Phil
Old 08-01-2005, 06:30 AM
love & peace

WHAT ABOUT A U.K FORUM THAT NOT ONLY PERTAINS TO BRITISH PEOPLE WITH LOVED ONES IN U.K PRISONS AND ALL THAT IT ENTAILS ETC
BUT I FEEL MAYBE MORE TO THE POINT THERE SHOULD BE ONE FOR BRITISH PEOPLE WHO HAVE A LOVED ONE IN THE AMERICAN PRISON SYSTEM
Old 08-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Donation Award 

We have one, it's called the Europe Prison Forum!!!

Rose
Old 08-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Lovin my hub

Ok guys lol chill but can I point out that I didnt ask who "doesnt" want a uk forum.. thats all
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Paris
Wow, I come back from holidays and almost find a catfight in the usually so peaceful Europe forum !!!

You don't "need" a UK forum for that. At the beginning of PTO, we didn't have all those forums, and at the beginning of PTO we didn't have all those informations. Who made PTO grow up the size it is today ?? His members.

You are just a small amount of UK members with loved ones incarcerated in UK prisons, and I can understand you feel lonely. However, how many threads have you started to share your experience of the UK prisons ?? NONE. How can people from the UK find us if there's nothing from the UK posted on PTO ?? Also, when you go visiting your loved ones, how often do you mention PTO to other visitors and ask them to join ??? That's the way PTO started, someone told someone who told someone etc.....

Phil
lol..no catfight, just putting in my pov.

As regards the threads I've started about my experiences being none - well my boyfriend was only sentenced last Thursday so I haven't actually HAD any experiences yet...apart from red eyes. The same goes for visiting.

Right now I just want to find out as much as I can because all I'm getting is mixed messages...if there was a UK site dedicated to helping prisoners friends and families I would be getting somewhere via people who had actually experienced this rather than the official website which tells you what they want you to know. Sadly, there is not yet a UK equivalent of PTO. A UK forum ON PTO would have been useful to me as an alternative, that's all I'm saying.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:22 PM
Frenchy Member

a taylor,

I was not pointing at you specifically, I was using your post in general for the UK people having a loved one in the UK system.

You say:

Quote:
A UK forum ON PTO would have been useful to me as an alternative, that's all I'm saying.
I agree with you, but someone has to put informations in this forum. Before PTO, there was no informations to share between family members and friends of US incarcerated people. WE, the members made this information available, and we keep on doing it.

What I'm trying to say is that we have a subforum in the Europe forum, and this subforum should be the place where to post information about the prison system either in the UK or France or Germany or the Netherlands etc...

Of course you still don't have anything to share due to your boyfriend's recent sentence, but I hope you will do it later. Also, I do hope that you will speak of PTO to other people when visiting your boyfriend. That would be a start to post information about the UK system and maybe later on having a whole subforum dedicated to the UK system.

Phil
Old 08-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Closed

Quote:
Ok guys lol chill but can I point out that I didnt ask who "doesnt" want a uk forum.. thats all
At the risk of being moderated here, you asked a question that could be answered with a 'yes' or a 'no', so you should have expected a few 'no's along with the 'yes's.

I think it would make an interesting topic of study to find out WHY there isnt a UK equivalent of PTO. I would suggest that having a loved one in prison in the UK does not carry the same social stigma that it obviously does in the US.
But thats a whole 'nother thread....
Old 08-05-2005, 04:02 AM
Lovin my hub

Wink Silva

Please show some peace, Im not interested anymore, I have 4 major UK prison charities supporting me setting up a UK site, stacks of volunteers and offers of free advertising,thats just after 2 weeks! Now does that make an interesting study for you? prisoners families are suffering the same social stigma worldwide. Please stop bickering because everytime you leave a dig here I have to reply. I'm quite a busy lady.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Frenchy Member

Quote:
Please stop bickering because everytime you leave a dig here I have to reply. I'm quite a busy lady.
I think that when one starts a thread asking questions, it's normal that one has to reply to people taking the time to post to answer this thread.

I'm now closing this thread as it has run its course and is going nowhere...

Phil
Closed Thread