Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics General discussion forum for the UK. Come in and discuss issues in the British justice/prison system as well as your own personal issues.

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:41 AM
Lovin my hub

Default Do you want a United Kingdom forum???

Hi, I am trying to find out out many United Kingdom users are on this site and if they would be interested in a UK forum, please post your support below so we can see if there is enough people to set this up, thankyou, Lorna.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Donation Award 

As we're part of Europe I don't see the need for a UK Forum.

Rose
Old 07-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Lovin my hub

Hi Rose,

I understand that, but Europe is very big and there are language barriers. I would like to get to know the English community on PTO, funny enough there are also language barriers with our American friends, like things we find funny they might not understand or certain words and phrases. In the chat room the other night I felt quite ridiculed for saying a word like "Whinging", gave all the others a great laugh and I don't mind that at all, but sometimes I don't understand what they are talking about either??. Maybe it is their slang or something, needed an interpreteur at one point! Although I love to chat with our people abroad and hear their stories, I would also like to chat with someone closer to home, I just don't know where to find them in PTO 50,000 members!
Maybe its possible that there are PTO members in my area that I could meet and share my troubles with, I have no one around me that understands what going through a huge trial is like, or the worry that your husband will be locked up for the next 30 years. I hope you can see my point,

With kind regards Lorna x
Old 07-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Missing my Lemon Kurd!

I would be very interested, but if it doesn't go ahead, I think we should definately try and utilize this forum. The only thing is I always find posts moved on this board very quickly and unless we are talking about something specifically to do with the British/European prison system, it will get moved

2005 Club Member #22
Old 07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Donation Award 

This is, as I see it, basically a site for those of us with people in prison in the US. Now, of course it's open to others but wanting to start a forum just for those in the UK, in my opinion, is being just a bit too secular.

There's nothing to stop us from talking to each other via the Europe forum, be it for general view or by PM and then email. Yes, I can see your point in wanting to talk to others in the same position as you within the UK but I still don't see the need for a seperate forum. Personally, I have more in common with others on PTO because Tony is in Illinois, and he was on Death Row, not a situation that occurs here!!

The fact that posts get moved is probably because they don't apply to Europe in general and are covered by other forums.

If you want to talk to people nearer home then use the Europe forum. Once they answer then it's up to you all to keep in touch, but I still feel there's no need for a UK forum.

Rose
Old 07-11-2005, 04:35 PM
Frenchy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceWonderland
I would be very interested, but if it doesn't go ahead, I think we should definately try and utilize this forum. The only thing is I always find posts moved on this board very quickly and unless we are talking about something specifically to do with the British/European prison system, it will get moved
Alice,

Are you referring to something in particular??? Since I'm the mod of this foru, I'm mainly the one moving the posts out, and I don't recall ever moving a post out of the Europe forum.

I also think there is no need for a UK subforum. What you could do if you do wanna talk with other British citizens, is start a thread in this forum with a title like "UK PTOers check in" or something similar.

Phil
Old 07-11-2005, 04:44 PM

i dont feel there is any need for a UK forum language barriers can be got around it just takes a lil help from everyone good luck with the trial if you ever want to chat just pm me
Old 07-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Missing my Lemon Kurd!

No, nothing in this forum, and I don't mean it to be a harsh criticism. I just find this board so big with soooooo many different forums that sometimes I've posted stuff in the 'boyfriends and husbands in prison' forum because I wish to discuss it with people who have boyfriends and husbands in prison and it's been moved to like the visits forum, or what have you. I just find it pretty hard to know what to post lol. That's just a general observation.

2005 Club Member #22
Old 07-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Frenchy Member

Actually I didn't take it as a criticism, I was just wondering.

The problem with the H/B forum, is that a lot of stuff is being posted there, and doesn't always belong there.

For instance let's take your example about visitation. PTO is a support site, but it's also a site for information, whether for us the members, or the "guests" people who are reading PTO but are not registered. Well, when anyone wants to get information about a visit, he will likely check the visitation forum where he will find quite a lot of valuable information about visitation. That's why your thread was moved to this forum, because even though you don't really know it, your thread might help someone else.

Phil
Old 07-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Lovin my hub

Default Hi Rose

[quote=Rostonhall]This is, as I see it, basically a site for those of us with >people in prison in the US. Now, of course it's open to others but wanting >to start a forum just for those in the UK, in my opinion, is being just a bit >too secular.

Hmm, okay if you wish to see it that way that is entirely up to you, its a shame and a wee bit narrow minded, in that because you feel it would not benefit you, you have to object to what would benefit others. In the UK we have nothing online like PTO, would of been nice to feel a bit more welcome, I didnt realise this was a site just for people with prison in the US?

>There's nothing to stop us from talking to each other via the Europe forum, >be it for general view or by PM and then email. Yes, I can see your point in >wanting to talk to others in the same position as you within the UK but I >still don't see the need for a seperate forum. Personally, I have more in >common with others on PTO because Tony is in Illinois, and he was on >Death Row, not a situation that occurs here!!

I understand you have more in common with people on PTO and I am sorry to hear Tony was on death row, but does that mean British people shouldnt join PTO? I feel a bit discriminated against!

A situation that DOES occur here Rose is that familys of inmates are struggling to find people who understand and support them, I would of thought that was not just a US thing? Arn't we all in the same boat, what ever county we live in.

I am sorry you and others feel it is not necessary, and it probably won't happen but there was no harm in asking was there?

Kind regards

Lorna
Old 07-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Banned

On the site for Europeans there are people posting from all over Europe, of which we are now a part of. We can get to know people on here and chat pm if we need to. If we then have a site just for UK, it may break it all up because, what comes next is then a site for Germany and France and Holland etc etc.????
Jude

Last edited by jude; 07-12-2005 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 07-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Donation Award 

Well put, jude. That's exactly what I meant.

I'm sorry if what I said caused offence, it wasn't meant to but this site was started in the USA, by an American, basically for the USA and those of us outside who've found it have been very lucky indeed, Lorna, because, as you say there's nothing like it in Britain. I think you'll find most of the European people on here do, in fact have loved ones or friends within the system in the US, and PTO has helped us immensely. You'll see that from the posts in all sections. To start a forum up exclusively for the UK would be, in my opinion, a waste.

I do appreciate, more than you obviously think, that we all need the support of others when we have a loved one in prison, but that's what the whole of PTO gives, it's support and information and it doesn't matter where you are in the world or where your loved one is. The support and understanding is here without having a UK forum.

Rose
Old 07-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,245 Posts

OK, here's the official PTO Administration statement on any need for a UK forum at this time.

At the present time PTO really still has only a handful of extremely active members outside of the U.S. or Canada. A quick glance at our current registrations of all members shows there are probably less than 1% of PTO's membership at present is outside of the U.S. and Canada.

As PTO continues to grow the number of global participants outside of North America will probably continue to grow.

As far as the forum itself is concerned, almost all of the non-U.S. forums (except for Canada and Australia/NZ) are either brand new or fairly new and they need time to grow and get more active members before we even think of dividing any of the current non-U.S. forums up. With PTO's registration outside the U.S. and Canada being less than 1% of our membership, that's still a ways off in the future.

As it is, the U.K. is part of Europe and we need members in the U.K.'s help (as well as members in Germany, France, and all other European countries) to be active in the Europe forum and add information about the prison systems in their countries so others in those countries will be able to come here and find what they need. As time goes on the forum will grow and may one day be large and active enough to start dividing into countries - but not yet.

All of the communities in Europe should be able to congregate here and get to know each other, both as individual countries and all of Europe together, and co-exist with few problems as this forum is just not that large and active at this time - and that's what it needs to become before we will ever consider giving the individual countries in Europe their own forum.

Phil will probably comment more on this later (he is having computer problems) but at this time we need the U.K. members to make their presence active in the Europe forum and help it to grow and become larger and more active - and especially filled with information about U.K. prisons other U.K. folks that come here need to know, as well as people in all of the European countries need about all the prison systems in Europe - just as we need members from all other European countries to make their presence active as well and participate the same...

Lysbeth
PTO Administrator
Old 07-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Lovin my hub

Hello Jude, do you think the Americans complained when this site started to grow and was made into state forums, do you think the Americans complained of being broken up, or maybe it flourished because different areas were more easily accessible.
Hello Lysbeth, thankyou for your input I appreciate that you gave this information without prejudice just stating fact, which I totally understand and agree with.
Hello Rose, Yes you did cause offence and in fact you are the first person to do so since i joined the PTO. The reason I dug my heels in here (which I normally never do) is that Fed-Ex invited people to ask for the forums they would like to see, and when I approached him he agreed and said post a new thread asking how many people are interested. This I did thinking it would be a good way to get to know people. Unfortunately I've obviously upset people that have been here longer and are more comfortable with the surroundings. My main point is this: I would not object to the suggestion of a forum and leave negative views just because it was not what I needed. The PTO lets us in and welcomes us, but people like you who say it is just for people with family in the US frankly lower the tone. Hardly encourages newbies to post, facts as Lysbeth gave them were sufficient with out the "you dont belong here" spiel Maybe you could think before you are rude, at the moment my husband is all over the BBC news and tabloids and this is the only place I could find support.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Donation Award 

I really didn't mean to be rude, I know I often come across that way but I've been brought up much better than to be rude to people I don't know. You did ask for comments and that's what you got. If I sounded as though I was saying 'you don't belong' then I apologise, but I was tryting to get over to you that this site means an awful lot to a lot of people, and not many of them from the UK.

Rose
Old 07-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Lovin my hub

Apology accepted Rose, is it safe for me to come back in now? lol
Old 07-13-2005, 06:33 AM
love & peace

PERSONALLY , I THINK A U.K FORUM IS A GOOD IDEA.
maybe there are people who are travelling to the same location in America and like me (due to reduced finacial circumstances etc ) may benefit from not only sharing experiences but from a practical viewpoint , also sharing expenses to lighten the load . also for reasons of safety when travelling it is useful to tie in with another person in the same situation ,
making contacts with people in a U.K forum would also enable living in the U.K to call each other regularly on the telephone, as the U.K many cheap service providers who offer free (or very cheap ) calls during weekends and evenings. whereas calling PTO pals in Europe or America is often out of the question , due to cost ....... just food for thought...........
Old 07-13-2005, 06:49 AM
Donation Award 

Glad the British sense of humour is coming through, Lorna!! I'll PM you with my email address and phone number so you can contact me. I'm a very good listener even if I might not always be able to help.

Sahar, I'm with BT and I have that service, plus I get all US and Australian calls at a cost of just 5p/minute. A 10 minute phone call costs less than a stamp so I call friends in both places.

Rose
Old 07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Lovin my hub

Thankyou Sahar
Old 07-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Missing my Lemon Kurd!

OK, for those of you who would like a UK forum, I've made a free one here

(edited per PTO policy - please see PTO Policies forum on "Promoting other communities on PTO")

PTO is an excellent site as is demonstrated by the thousands of posters who spend so much time here, it's a fantastic forum and has helped loads of people. I just thought if there's call for a UK forum then I might as well take the 5 seconds it will take to make a free one. Hope some UK members join!

2005 Club Member #22
Old 07-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,245 Posts

Sahar, I appreciate your input but, again, the Europe forum is relatively new to PTO and is going to have to grow a great deal more and have a great deal more active members from individual countries before it will be divided out into separate countries. This forum is just too small and with too few currently and consistently active participants to get divided just yet.

Alice, I'm sorry and I would have removed the above post but since it's been on the board for almost 24 hours already I am just going to address why I edited it here so there'll be no question about why it disappeared. Please refer to this thread in the PTO Policies forum on "Promoting Other Communities on PTO":

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3092

... as well as this section on "Directing Contact Outside of the PTO Community" in the main PTO policy thread:

"Directing members to contact you for more information at your Website, via Email or PM is not allowed, unless the information is sensitive or of a personal nature. One of the purposes of PTO is to provide our members with information on a variety of topics relating to Prison, Prisoner Support, etc. Promoting discussion outside of the forums will prevent this information from helping others in the future.

I hope you can understand our point. It's nice that you wanted to make a forum, but by doing so whatever good information might be for those interested in the UK in the future will not be here for them on PTO, and that is why we have that policy. Again, I'm sorry I had to edit the post but as you can see it violates several sections of PTO policy including another section of PTO's main policy I haven't included here.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation,

Lys
Old 07-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,759 Times in 1,586 Posts

Sorry I am late here... (What's new)

I'd like to add a few comments regarding this subject. I wish I had seen it sooner but I have not been around much since I had the PM conversation and mentioned that if enough people wanted a UK forum we would add one.

First, PTO is for everyone in every country around the world. At this time the vast majority of our members and conversations revolve around the prison & criminal justice systems in the United States HOWEVER I hope one day this ratio will drastically change and that PTO becomes home to for prison related forums for each County.

We have always tried to take our time when opening up new forums because a "dead" or unused forum is a big turn off. There is no set policy on exactly what dictates the opening of a new forum though a key indicator in that is how many active members do we have that a. live there ; b. have someone in prison there; or c. have a serious interest in that region / area.

If we have a substantial number of Brits active in the European forums that want their own dedicated forum for the United Kingdowm, we would look into ways to accommodate.

One of the other reasons to have sub-forums that are specific to a country or area is because the prison systems are not the same, obviously. Prisons in France are not the same as Prisons in the U.K. or Germany. (I'm guessing here because I have not been in any of them ) If we get some busy bees that want to compile UK Prison specific information (a lot of it) then it will be much easier for them to find what they need in a dedicated forum for it.

All that being said it comes back down to activity. Eventually, we will have forums even for China and I suspect once these areas grow their own languages will be utilized, at least in some areas. (That is an entirely different issue - because we have to have mods that speak the language before that will happen)

Thanks,
David
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Closed

Laura, when it comes to rudeness, I think its a bit harsh of you to accuse Rose, when you yourself have only just arrived on PTO and have made relatively few posts ! I'm a Brit but I really dont see the need for a separate UK forum - I think Phil would agree that there are long periods here when things are very quiet, between flurries of activity. I pop in here occasionally but I spend around 80% of my time on PTO with the Texas crew because that's where my fiance is incarcerated. That doesnt mean I can share any less you sense of isolation at facing the next 40 years under the gaze of TDC and having friends that dont really understand what I'm going through.

No one is saying you dont belong here. But would you walk into a pub for the first time and start demanding that they change the decor or get rid of the Juke box ? PTO works well for the 3 - 4000 regular users, and you will find us Brits using a lot of the other forums like H&Bs, Long-term Offenders, Spiritual Connection etc. We're pretty visible if you care to look.

Oh, and welcome to PTO.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Lovin my hub

Hi Silva, Firstly its Lorna not Laura, honestly I'm not bothered there really isnt a place here for people with people in prison in the UK, that is obvious from the response I got. Not a problem I am working on setting up a site in the UK. So you people with inmates in the USA can do your thing, thanks for the welcome.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Lovin my hub

Silva, one more thing, did I actually walk in and demand to change things???? No, read the post and you'll see I only asked who would be interested in a UK forum. You could do with some lessons in manners yourself, does the fact you have been on PTO longer than me mean I'm not allowed to post suggestions, get a grip love! The only people who have been unfriendly here have been the Brits.

Rose, I can see why no Brits stick around, (unless they have inmates in the USA that is). I wouldn't expect them to with the atmosphere in here.