Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

United Kingdom Prison & Criminal Justice Topics General discussion forum for the UK. Come in and discuss issues in the British justice/prison system as well as your own personal issues.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Donation Award 

Default Have a question ( not prison related)(about Brttish candy bar)

My daughter went to a store that sells things from the UK and she bought a candy bar, It is called Yorkie made by nestle. On the wrapper is gives the Nutrition Infromation. What does it mean by Energy? And what kind of candy bar is this. Do any of you know?!! I will not let her eat until I find out something. The wrapper says NOt For Girls!!!!

thank you so much
Amy
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Frenchy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis'sgirl
The wrapper says NOt For Girls!!!!
Probably the reason why your daughter bought it !!! Anyway, Nestlé is a very serious and worldwide known Swiss company, so your daughter can eat her bar nothing will happen to her !!!

This is what I found on the net about the Yorkie bar:

#
What marmalade is to Oxford, shoes to Northampton,hosiery to Leicester. mustard to Norwich, chocolate is to the lovely medieval city of York, in the “Broad Acres”. Unlike many other towns and cities in Yorkshire, York did not seek to make its living from textiles during the so called Industrial Revolution. It went along its own sweet path and two famous sons of the city,Joseph Rowntree and Joseph Terry,were founders of the two very famous connfectionery companies that bear their names. Today Rowntree is part of the giant multinational Nestle group while Terry’s is under the ownership of Kraft Suchard Jacobs.

Nestle Yorkie is more than a tad different from some of its rival chocolate bars,although it is still one of the best things to have happened to mankind since early man came out from the caves.

It’s undoubtedly one of the chunkiest milk chocolate bars around and is Hmmmm, nicely packaged and presented as befits a product from a truly beautiful city like York.

I am not sure,however, whether the parent company’s TV advertising campaign is the smartest ever devised and certainly it is not gender neutral,as most of the ladies on this site will know.

It is advertised as being a Macho snack...".....It'’ not for girls..."screams the advert on the TV screen. A nice way to alienate the fairer sex in Britain,if you ask me ! After all don’t they know that Britain’s ladies,or many of them,are probably the greatest devotees of yummy chocolates anywhere on the planet.

Yorkie is one of the best selling and most advertised chocolate bars in Britain and also finds its way to many other countries around the world.

Other big sellers include Cadbury’s Dairy Milk, Gallaxy from Mars, Aero and Milky Bar. Basically I would describe Nestle Yorkie as an inch thick slab of chunky milk chocolate. It was initially popularised by a lorr y driver who habitually gobbled down loads of choccy ...Nestle Yorkie of course. So if you your chunks big this is the bar for you. The Yorkie logo is amblazened boldly across the wrapper. Judging by its wide availability in grocers ,sweet shops, chocolatiers, supermarkets and chocolate havens at duty free emporiums at international airports and its huge sales,it isn”t just gobbled down by hairy,macho, British males.

I regard my self as a chocolate bar entusiast - glutton might be a better word- and I do enjoy Yorkie, although it is not my No I chocolate bar.

I like it for its differences as much as for its similarities to other choccy bars on the market. Although I am not a lorry driver I do happen to be very partial to chunky,yummy,milk chocolate that is smooth and which quickly liquefies in my mouth. These are characteristics that I certainly associate with this delectable.mouth watering offering from the city of York. Despite being on the chunky side,it hasa nice texture,is chewy and really the taste is so yummy. The Anglo-Swiss.it mus be said, are clever with chocolate.

As an obvious favourite of mine you will not be too surprised that it gets a strong recommendation from this old chocaholic. As indicated earlier,it is not my all time favourite for I am a devoted fan of Galaxy, Mars and Cadbury’s as well By now you might just be wondering whether there is actually any chocolate bar I don’t like- the short answer is no. There is no such thing as bad chocolate ,only some brands are a wee bit better than others.

So there you have it- a review of a chunky bit of heavenly chocolate from York and to all the ladies on this web site, just don’t take any notice of that silly advert, Nestle Yorkie is for all genders in my book. I am pretty well sure that the cunning people at Nestle know that anyway.So rest assured it's not just for "beefy" lorry drivers !

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/archive-tv/y...s-quot/381903/

Phil
Old 10-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you so much Phil she is eating it now!!!!!! And yes she thought it was sexist so she bought it. and she also bought some bottons. We have Nestles here but nothing called eitheir one of those!!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Donation Award 

Oh! Dear, the ads are very tongue in cheek and not really supposed to be sexist. If anything they appear to me to actually be taking a satirical look at the advertising media, after all, women have been used to sell cars for a long, long time. I'm with you, Phil, I prefer some of the other chocolate that's available, especially Cadbury's, but not the stuff made under licence by Hershey's that I can get in Illinois, it's an insult to Cadbury's!! And I just love the Belgium chocolate we can get so much of.

As for the Nutritional Information, this has to appear, by law, on every single food item in the UK, and I assume the rest of Europe. The Energy value is just how many calories that particular item contains.

Rose
Old 10-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Closed

Yorkies are yummy, and anyway, I can eat them cos I'm not a girl, I'm a LADY!!!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Donation Award 

You all are to sweet. She said that it is the best candy bar she has never ate. She says that she is not eating American Chocolate again she wants you all have. I did taste it and noticed that it melts in your mouth. I was worried that the energy in the candy was one of those ENERGY Bars. I know that all of you would have the answers. Thank you again!!!