Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Wives & Girlfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wives & Girlfriends in Prison For everyone who has a wife, girlfriend, or female partner incarcerated.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataride View Post
We are down to 40 days left now and she got her extension to stay in the dorm until the day before she is released so that was great news and relieved alot of anxiety for her since she wont have to be back in GP.
That is excellent news. 40 days slips by pretty quickly (at least my last 40 days with Dee did....where for a while during the last 6 months time stood still all of a sudden time was passing too quickly and I felt like I was scrambling to get ready for her) and being out of GP will reduce her chances of having problems with any of the girls....and that's important because some girls who know somene's going home will try to take her date.
Admittedly, Dee got in a big fight on her way out the door (about two weeks left)....girl came up on her and threw a punch and Dee smiled and said "I'm maxing out anyway and my boyfriend already knows when and where to pick me up so I'm good, let's go." The staff at the disciplinary hearing for the incident (which they held about 3 days before scheduled release) actually laughed and said "she didn't know there were no more days to take, huh? She's lucky you just put her on the floor and walked away." She said "nope, not very smart, was she?" And they said "well, we're taking 90 days from her and reminding her that she should be extra embarassed since she took nothing from you and got whooped, so hopefully that'll teach her not to mess with someone who's maxed out." They also took 90 days from her and had a chuckle and said "but it's basically ceremonial because we don't have time to take and all this lost time disappears as soon as you walk out the door." Didn't take visits or phone privileges or anything like that (since she was being released on a Saturday she didn't need any more visits, and they didn't want her denied a phone call to make sure that I was coming for sure the night before.) No point in it.

Unless she is also maxed out, her best bet is to just chill out, lay low, and not draw attention to herself. The usual desired behavior, really.

She will be home soon. Excited for you! Keep us posted.

-E
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 09:58 AM

I am new to this with my lovely wife in prison. I am learning to take care of myself and I been finding out I am not always that good at taking care of me. I was great at taking care of my wife when I could at home. Thank you for making this place to post. ( I feel like I am lost alot of my time, since she has been gone).
The Following User Says Thank You to amanmissingwife For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,847 Times in 6,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanmissingwife View Post
I am new to this with my lovely wife in prison. I am learning to take care of myself and I been finding out I am not always that good at taking care of me. I was great at taking care of my wife when I could at home. Thank you for making this place to post. ( I feel like I am lost alot of my time, since she has been gone).
Welcome to PTO!

Self-care in the absence of our partner is important and sometimes really challenging. The good news is you're here and connecting with others who understand that challenge is good self-care, so you're doing it right!
Old 12-19-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
Working on the west coast for a few weeks so no visits, but making sure my best friend is getting a lot of cool pictures from my travels and no shortage of mail. Next weekend her kids get to spend pretty much all Saturday with her, playing, eating good food, and just hanging out. It's a one Saturday a month program through the chaplaincy and it has enabled my LO to have the strongest possible bond to her little ones. The other thing that helps is making sure there is always money for her to call and talk to the kids every night before they go to bed.
An all day visit with kids is great! That system understands how important a close relationship with their mom is to kids! It's a shame that all the systems haven't figured it out.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of us here in the same boat. Lean when you need to. Vent when you want to. Nobody's going to get on your case about anything.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:50 AM

holiday season. emotionally toughest time of the year. not having a good go of things and neither is my LO. I'm trying to be supportive but hell, I need some emotional support too as she's all I have in my life right now. But she's bitter towards me because I'm on the outside and I "have freedoms and choices". That's true, but I chose solitude to be in solidarity. She didn't think it was sweet; more like foolish. She's probably right
The Following User Says Thank You to moonhanger For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (12-22-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 07:34 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
It is all an adapting process and it takes time. Frankly, I don't think we ever fully "adapt" to the idea of our loved ones being away, but we make due. Dee being away broke my heart. But someone had to be strong.....and it wasn't going to be her. I could see that from the first time I went to the County Jail to visit her. So...what's the saying? I tightened up my bootstraps and got to work? Something like that?

You will find your place and purpose while she is locked up and learn how to make due. But it will take some time.

Welcome to PTO. I hope you will find the support you are looking for here with us.

-E
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhanger View Post
holiday season. emotionally toughest time of the year. not having a good go of things and neither is my LO. I'm trying to be supportive but hell, I need some emotional support too as she's all I have in my life right now. But she's bitter towards me because I'm on the outside and I "have freedoms and choices". That's true, but I chose solitude to be in solidarity. She didn't think it was sweet; more like foolish. She's probably right
First off, Happy Holidays, whichever you celebrate. As I celebrate Christmas, a Merry Christmas as well.

Man, let me tell you, you CAN'T choose absolute solidarity with her by being solitary. That's going to set you up for depression and general unhappiness. You have to find things that keep you occupied. Visit friends. Go to the gym. Start some projects. Go to social events and such that you enjoy. Get out of the house!!! It's not that solitary behavior in and of itself is foolish, but it rarely does good. And it sounds like she WANTS you to get out and have some fun. You got the green light....go see what's going on in the world!

Human connection is ALWAYS an important thing. If I stayed shut-in all the time when Dee was locked up, I wouldn't have made it. And it wouldn't have been good for her upon her return.

Keep your head up and get movin' man! It'll be good for you in the short run and good for her in the long run. After all, if you don't have new experiences, what can you show her about places you found and things you did? What new life experiences will you have to talk about? What restaurants are you going to take her to that she's never been t before?

Get out a little more, it'll do you some good. I promise. Solitude isn't going to get her home any faster.

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhanger View Post
They can't help lashing out at us sometimes, especially if they need us like crazy in every way but obviously can't have us. I don't take it personally when my wife expresses anger and/or frustration. She has needs and feelings she can't talk about with her mom or daughter or anyone inside. That leaves me in the line of fire.

Listen to her and comfort your LO when she's angry. That's what she needs.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
First off, Happy Holidays, whichever you celebrate. As I celebrate Christmas, a Merry Christmas as well.

Man, let me tell you, you CAN'T choose absolute solidarity with her by being solitary. That's going to set you up for depression and general unhappiness. You have to find things that keep you occupied. Visit friends. Go to the gym. Start some projects. Go to social events and such that you enjoy. Get out of the house!!! It's not that solitary behavior in and of itself is foolish, but it rarely does good. And it sounds like she WANTS you to get out and have some fun. You got the green light....go see what's going on in the world!

Human connection is ALWAYS an important thing. If I stayed shut-in all the time when Dee was locked up, I wouldn't have made it. And it wouldn't have been good for her upon her return.

Keep your head up and get movin' man! It'll be good for you in the short run and good for her in the long run. After all, if you don't have new experiences, what can you show her about places you found and things you did? What new life experiences will you have to talk about? What restaurants are you going to take her to that she's never been t before?

Get out a little more, it'll do you some good. I promise. Solitude isn't going to get her home any faster.
You always give good advice. Our LOs don't really have lives inside. They exist more or less like characters in the movie Groundhog Day. Like Tammy says, "Every day is every day". They live vicariously through Free World people important to them. You can't pour anything from an empty glass. We can't ease their thirst for life if we have nothing. Understanding what they need from us and giving them as much of it as we can is good for them as well as us.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
missingdee (12-22-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 PM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Hope that everyone has had a good holiday season, no matter what you celebrate, whether it be Christmas, Hannukah, Festivus, Kwanzaa, or some other holiday that might or might not be mainstream that I missed.

Any visits over the holidays? Wilkes, how was your family get-together with Tammy?

The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
WaitingWilkes (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Hope that everyone has had a good holiday season, no matter what you celebrate, whether it be Christmas, Hannukah, Festivus, Kwanzaa, or some other holiday that might or might not be mainstream that I missed.

Any visits over the holidays? Wilkes, how was your family get-together with Tammy?
It was good. Her mom, sister and I visited on Christmas. This was her first Christmas without her dad visiting in about 20 years so she was kind of sad at times. Family holidays are always both happy and sad. I think it's that way for everyone. How was your Christmas?
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
K6770 (12-29-2017)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:59 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

We are all so quiet.

Anyone going to visiting this weekend? Any new news to report?

Old 02-24-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Been kind of a quiet week on this forum. Thought I would check in with you guys and see how everything's doing.

Dee has this stupid "Juju on that Beat" song stuck in my head. The six weeks that she's been home have been a bit of a whirlwind. The transition is going well, not always smoothly, but well. We've had our beach trips, our meals out, our watching movies, our time to ourselves.....and of course, the moment she gets in the car, the bluetooth is set to her phone and the radio's on her presets.

Ugh. Anyone got a solution to get the "Juju on that Beat" song out of my head?

Anyway.....how's everyone else doing? Who's going to visit this weekend? Anyone with a wife/girlfriend back at home have any updates or news to share?

-E
Thanks gives me hope and the ability to dream about my wife getting out maybe in November or praying earlier. What I do for a bad beat in my head is play rock n roll. Got the better half a tablet and she is enjoying music. Prison gets expensive..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amanmissingwife For This Useful Post:
K6770 (02-25-2018), missingdee (02-25-2018), xolady (02-25-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
We are all so quiet.

Anyone going to visiting this weekend? Any new news to report?
I'll visit this weekend. Awful weather but too much rain beats even a little snow. No news at our end, which I guess is good news. Nothing out of the ordinary routine is ever good on Planet Prison.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
K6770 (02-25-2018), missingdee (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:19 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Thanks gives me hope and the ability to dream about my wife getting out maybe in November or praying earlier. What I do for a bad beat in my head is play rock n roll. Got the better half a tablet and she is enjoying music. Prison gets expensive..
Indeed, prison does get expensive.

Though in hindsight, I'm spending more money now that she's out....but at least we're spending it together.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
K6770 (02-25-2018), WaitingWilkes (02-25-2018), xolady (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Indeed, prison does get expensive.

Though in hindsight, I'm spending more money now that she's out....but at least we're spending it together.
Supporting a LO in prison's pretty inexpensive in terms of money but very expensive psychologically. My wife can only have $200 on her book. That's a drop in the bucket. She might spend that much on a pair of shoes if she were out here and I wouldn't mind paying for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitingWilkes For This Useful Post:
K6770 (02-25-2018), missingdee (02-25-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:58 PM

Default How does one cope with being away from your girlfriend

I honestly donít know how you guys cope with being separated from your girlfriend itís been super hard for me I honestly donít know what to do with myself Iíve spent everyday ffornthe last 4 years w my girl and up until last year we cut every one out of lives because you really have no true friends in the criminal life we are both addicts and when we both went to jail I was released within a few days I had just gotten out from doing 18 months and terminated my probation and going back to jail honesty sucked so once I got out I tried to get my life together I went to a rehab which didnít last long but I stayed sober for my girl because I told her letís start over but having no friends and no one really to talk to put me in a depression I guess I havenít started using again but man would I really love too itís just how Iíve dealt w my issues but now that Iím trying to better myself I really donít know what to do or how to act so I guess thatís why I am here to find comfort in telling my story I havenít heard from my girl in about 36 days bc sheís in reception but she paroles in may so itís not that far away I just have to try and keep my sanity until then
The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovejellybean For This Useful Post:
xolady (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 05:56 AM

Thanked 5,797 Times in 3,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejellybean View Post
I honestly donít know how you guys cope with being separated from your girlfriend itís been super hard for me I honestly donít know what to do with myself Iíve spent everyday ffornthe last 4 years w my girl and up until last year we cut every one out of lives because you really have no true friends in the criminal life we are both addicts and when we both went to jail I was released within a few days I had just gotten out from doing 18 months and terminated my probation and going back to jail honesty sucked so once I got out I tried to get my life together I went to a rehab which didnít last long but I stayed sober for my girl because I told her letís start over but having no friends and no one really to talk to put me in a depression I guess I havenít started using again but man would I really love too itís just how Iíve dealt w my issues but now that Iím trying to better myself I really donít know what to do or how to act so I guess thatís why I am here to find comfort in telling my story I havenít heard from my girl in about 36 days bc sheís in reception but she paroles in may so itís not that far away I just have to try and keep my sanity until then
You and she need to get into some kind of support for your addictions. I'm glad you have stayed sober and want to stay that way!! I know just how hard it is my husband and I were both addicts, makes for a very tough road, but you can be successful but you have to want it for you. Good luck and get some help.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,082 Times in 14,192 Posts

Im also glad you have stayed sober.
What about attending an NA meeting? (if you have not already)
Get a sponsor.
You might meet some folks there to become friends. And hopefully non using friends.
Do you have family?

And you are right, May isnt that far off. Drop in the bucket.
I hope you and she are successful staying sober.
One day at a time, dude. Hang in there.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM

I do have a strong support system my family and especially my older who is a recovering addict he got his life back and now he manages a menís sober living home he tries to do anything he can to help we go to meetings weekly and honestly heís the one whoís kept me sober I feel great physically but emotionally Iím just a wreck and that may just be bc of my drug use I only have have 36 days sober
sidewalker (03-17-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 PM
Donation Award 

As with all things, addiction recovery, , , too waiting for our loved ones to get out and come home, it has to be one day at a time.. It is the basis of AA, NA, and keeping sane when we are holding our loved one down. The future can be enormous and overwhelming, but if deal with just today, it becomes manageable. You've probably heard it before, but it is the only way to go. You've had 36 days when you've chosen not to use..then 37 days, then 38 days, each day a triumph. Hang in there for today...
Old 03-15-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobberp54 View Post
As with all things, addiction recovery, , , too waiting for our loved ones to get out and come home, it has to be one day at a time.. It is the basis of AA, NA, and keeping sane when we are holding our loved one down. The future can be enormous and overwhelming, but if deal with just today, it becomes manageable. You've probably heard it before, but it is the only way to go. You've had 36 days when you've chosen not to use..then 37 days, then 38 days, each day a triumph. Hang in there for today...
Hey thanks a lot I appreciate your words of encouragement Iím just really trying to be happy and stay positive Iíve learned to be grateful for the little things and if this addiction has taught me anything is to appreciate what you have and not take it for granted ...my life can be worse most of the people o used to run around with are in prison and homeless.. honestly this site has helped me in a way Iíve reading a lot and it makes me realize that things could be worse but they are what you make of it.. I was scared to admit I was an addict on this post bc I donít want to be judged but it actually the opposite and it felt good to vent so I would just like to thank you Guys for being welcoming
sidewalker (03-17-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:28 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,082 Times in 14,192 Posts

Taking walks (I see your in so cal) getting outside. Seeing things begin to pop (flowers on trees) or even feeling raindrops can be a good way to enjoy the little things.
If you have a hobby (music, art, crafts) or learning something new are all good things to check out.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
missingdee (03-20-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 03:05 PM

Hi all, didn't read all the posts. GF is in jail in Oakland County, MI. She was dodging her PBTs by drinking at night and they surprised her with an ETG one day. She was doing so well recovering from heroin addiction but the drinking was turning into a more frequent clutch.

She'll be away from me for 6 months. We're talking on the phone a lot. I've always loved her but we both know that it's the price of addiction. I'm hoping to work a side job to save up and leave Michigan. We both need a fresh start. By the time she is out she will almost have an entire year drug free. It sounds weak but she is a better more caring and understanding person each month.

She signed an exparte guardianship with her grandmom and she's afraid it will turn to full guardianship. She also wants to take care of other warrants.

I'll be reading the rest of you guys's posts. It sucks going to a cold bed.