Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Mental Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mental Health Pleae use this forum for all mental health related issues dealing with the prison system.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Default How long can one stay in a state of Psychosis?

How long can a person stay in. A state of physcoisis. And how long does it last I’ve been on google all day and don’t really find much
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2018, 11:29 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,261 Times in 7,457 Posts

I think you mean psychosis. Psychosis is a state of mind where you've lost touch with reality. It is characterized by two elements, either or both may be present:

1. Delusions - these are beliefs that are patently false, but the person experiencing them cannot convince himself that they are anything but true. They believe them with varying degrees of belief that range from suspecting something is true to knowing deep down that the belief is true. So, if a guy firmly believes there's a government conspiracy involving transmitters implanted in the brains of people while they sleep so that thoughts can be monitored, or that they are in fact Jesus Christ, or that the guy down the street is a pedophile with 16 kids locked in his basement - he's delusional (unless that last one is in fact true). Conspiracy theories are a good way of understanding delusions as they are a common belief about a usually government cover-up, like that Sandy Hook was a false flag operation and no child was harmed. Or the second shooter theory in the assasination of JFK. While the JFK one might be fun to play with mentally, the vast majority of us won't entertain the idea that children didn't die at Sandy Hook, and that the shooting never happened. But some people are delusional and actually believe this sort of thing. I mean really believe it. Believe it like they believe the sun will rise in the morning.

2. Hallucinations. Hallucinations are experiences of touch, taste, smell, but usually sight or hearing that just don't occur. So, a guy who hears god talking to him is usually hallucinating the voice of god, especially if that voice is telling him to do something such as kill his mother. This is a command hallucination. People can see devils, they can see aliens. They can experience the world as a very strange and scary place because the walls breathe or somebody's hair is actually made of snakes that are hissing at him. Voices can be soft and at the edge of hearing, or they can run the gamut all the way up to voices constantly screaming at a person. When those voices tell you how inadequate you are, how stupid, how impotent, how nobody likes you, how you'd be better off dead - that can be quite disturbing.

When hallucinations act in concert with delusions, it can get even scarier.

psychosis is generally not a diagnosis so much as a symptom of some other mental illness. depression, when deep enough, can result in psychosis. For example, Andrea Yates was suffering from postpartum depression so severe that she was psychotic when she drown her children in Texas. Psychosis that is a part of depression usually resolves in a matter of months or shorter with appropriate treatment. It may never recur.

Psychosis can be a part of schizophrenia. It's actually a hallmark of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a mental illness that is a life long condition where the goal is to control the symptoms. A good example of schizophrenia is the Colorado movie theater shooter - he had delusions and thought that he was the Joker to some extent. This led down a twisted path wherein he believed that shooting up the movie theater was a logical thing to do. Or, there are the Slender Man girls in Wisconsin, who thought that they had to murder a classmate and join the fictional character Slender Man in order to save the lives of their family.

Dementia can also have a psychotic component, though it's not worth worrying about in somebody who isn't late middle age or older.

Anxiety, and other mental conditions when not treated, and where the person is pushed or feels pushed beyond their mental limits can lead to psychosis - where the mind just snaps and finds that the walls are breathing, voices are telling them to do things they never would under normal circumstances, and they have a strange belief that just cannot be true.

How long does psychosis last? Dunno. A simple incident that responds to treatment can resolve fairly quickly - a few weeks or so. It may take longer to deal with the consequences, psychologically and legally, of being psychotic. Schizophrenia, as noted, is a lifelong condition where the goal is to control psychotic symptoms, usually through medication and talk therapy. This can take a month or so, depending on how deeply entrenched a delusion happened to be, how long a person has been seeing or hearing things that aren't there, and how much stress the person is under as stress can trigger the psychotic symptoms of the disease.

And there is a small percentage of people who are called, "treatment resistant". These are people for whom drugs don't work. The best case scenario is that the very first antipsychotic drug tried will result in the psychosis going away quickly. Sometimes that is the case. Sometimes another drug has to be tried. Sometimes they have to use combinations of drugs. It can be maddening to find a cocktail of meds that actually work. But, usually, with persistence and a good therapeutic relationship between patient and doctor, the psychosis will be resolved. But a very few people have bodies that don't respond to any drug or drug combination. They will have some level of psychosis for the rest of their lives and will have the goal of learning how to deal with it so it is not as debilitating as it could be. They learn how to do some reality testing, how to ask loved ones and other trusted individuals if something is true or not, or happened or didn't happen. They will learn how to communicate with the voices in their heads and negotiate with them so that they aren't constantly yelling, and stuff like that. But it can be a life long challenge for those few individuals who get no relief from meds.

Paranoia can be a specific type of delusion - it's where you believe that somebody or some people are out to get you. What becomes a challenge for loved ones and practitioners is when the paranoia results in a person unwilling to take meds or get involved in the therapeutic processes available. So, if they believe that the doctors are trying to poison them - it can be difficult to convince them to try a med.

If a person is not a danger to himself or others because of psychosis, that person can refuse treatment. Such a refusal can be to meds, to hospitalization, or to the combination of meds, hospital, and therapy. There is nothing the law can do about it. A person who has been hospitalized because of a mental illness, whether it involves psychosis or not, still can choose to take meds or not. To override that person's expressed wish to not take drugs, you need a court order, and those are hard to get.

So, the long and short of it is that psychosis can last a very long time up to the rest of a person's life. The quickest way to resolve a psychosis is to engage in medication, therapy, be in a stress free environment, and have a body biology that responds to the first drug given to the patient.

Even then, it's still going to take weeks, and coming out of a psychosis is a gradual process.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-07-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (03-07-2018), Iárnvidia (07-23-2018), maytayah (03-07-2018), miamac (03-07-2018), Sarianna (03-08-2018), Scott (03-08-2018), xolady (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 02:47 AM

Thanks ;( my husband co3 said he is under physcoisis and I can’t talk to him or anything until he is back to reality and it’s killlng me it’s been a little over a week and I’m ready for him to snap of it .... it’s 1 stressing me out because idk if he’s ok and how to help him and 2 kids keep asking to talk to him but I don’t know what to tell him. Then on when
Old 03-07-2018, 09:24 AM
attorney

Write to him. It can really help both you and him.

Yes, he's not going to be allowed to talk with you right now because he's not all there. He's probably got some crazy stuff coming out of his mouth and may not even see you as you - as somebody he knows, loves, and trusts. People who are in a psychotic state can do a ton of damage to relationships when they are in a psychosis.

And the kids really don't need to speak to him when he's like this.

But they can write, too. Tell them that daddy's sick and can't make calls because he's sick. And we aren't talking sick along the lines of not feeling week with chills and just wanting to camp out on the couch with some soup and a few movies. We are talking about sick head in the toilet puking your guts out sick. The first kind of sick, talking can actually help. The second kind of sick, he's not talking. Well, psychosis is that second kind of sick. They can write and let them know that they miss him and hope he gets better.

You can pour some of your stress about the situation into writing him.

You also need to realize this is not going to be a quick thing. There is no snap out of it with psychosis. You are ready for him to come back to you, but he's not able. Psychosis is in control.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-07-2018), Iárnvidia (07-23-2018), Sarianna (03-08-2018), Scott (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 AM

yea its all new to me so I was hoping one day he would wake up and be like im fine or hoping it was a phase because he was so depressed I will continue to write and hopless check the mail and hope one day I have a letter
Old 03-07-2018, 08:26 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdlady545 View Post
yea its all new to me so I was hoping one day he would wake up and be like im fine or hoping it was a phase because he was so depressed I will continue to write and hopless check the mail and hope one day I have a letter
One day you will have a letter. He's still in there, somewhere. Just a bit lost at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Scott (03-08-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 09:38 PM

I’m thinking he’s doing a little better maybe they took him out of a mental health unit and put him in dention so maybe that’s the next step to going back to the yard idk
Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 PM

Thanked 5,797 Times in 3,030 Posts

Does the facility have an obudsman that you can call and get someone to intervene with staff so you can get some answers? Have you called the Chaplain that's another avenue you can explore.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-08-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 07:51 AM

ive never thought about calling the chaplin ill look into that option today
The Following User Says Thank You to byrdlady545 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-08-2018)