Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Raising Children with Parents in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Raising Children with Parents in Prison For the Parent left behind with children AND for the Children that have a parent inside. Discussion of unique challenges facing this group!

Old 09-16-2019, 11:54 AM

I’m a single mom of 3 and my youngest sons dad is in prison. My baby boy was only nine months. I just got approved to see him and my sons not going to be able to go for the 1st time bcuz he was told that if our son came, we’d have to visit in non contact and we wouldn’t be able to stay the whole time. He’s saying he’s not sure why and wants me to call his counselor. My sons now 2 yrs and 8 months and all he hears is his dads voice. I’m afraid he’s not going to know his dad wen he’s able to see him if he gets a chance.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 PM
HisLove

I have a 2 year old. My husband got locked up when i was only about a month pregnant. My son honestly doesn't know him very well as its hard to go visit with a toddler and he cant handle being in a car very long. When he calls my son just stays quiet. I like to believe he knows his dad is talking to him but idk...
Old 09-16-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeb78 View Post
Hes saying hes not sure why and wants me to call his counselor. My sons now 2 yrs and 8 months and all he hears is his dads voice. Im afraid hes not going to know his dad wen hes able to see him if he gets a chance.
I would deff try to contact someone about visits. I'm not in CA but that seems odd that a child couldn't be allowed at contact visits..
Old 09-16-2019, 01:43 PM

My daughter was 2 months old when he went in. We saw him again after months and she still seemed to recognize his voice. We got visits taken away at 6 months old. I made my screen saver his face so when he was on the phone she would see his face. She still reacted to his voice. About 3 months of no phone calls.. seems like she forgot his voice but I'd play videos of him for her so it wasn't totally absent. When we are on the phone now at 1yr 3 months shes quite while on the phone but will pick up the phone after and say "dada!" She points at his pictures and says dada. He thinks shes forgotten him but I believe you just have to keep showing them who there dad is.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:47 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,266 Times in 15,611 Posts

Sheeb........it could be that he's in reception (if he's in a CA prison) and all reception visits are behind glass (non contact) so it may be best to go alone until he's mainlined.

After that he should be allowed contact visits (unless his crime prevents them)
The other children if they are not his children biologically or if he adopted them......would need bio parents permission. See the CA forums for more info on that.
(you will need the birth certificate, one with state seal on it for his bio kid. the others would need birth certificates too, plus notarized letter from bio parent with permission to visit a prison)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 09-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
the others would need birth certificates too, plus notarized letter from bio parent with permission to visit a prison
Do my children from another man need a notarized letter?