Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:06 AM

Default Release from Coleman Low after 15 yrs; will BOP let him move out of state?

I met my s/o while in federal custody. We have been together for 2 1/2 years now. I met him through one of my close friends as she is his cousin. He was convicted of drug charges back in 2004. When the first step act was approved, we were anxious to see if he would be eligible. Well I called the federal defenders office in the state where he was convicted and spoke with an attorney who told me someone would call me back and to give them a week or so. Iím thinking yeah okay! Well 30 mins later another attorney called and told me that he met al the criteria he was looking for and would love for my s/o case to be his first successful release. Said with him serving 15 of the 22 years and under the new sentencing, he would ask for time served! We are to excited but now presents my next worry. He is originally from Illinois, he is in Florida and Iím in Atlanta. He put in a change of address a couple months ago to my address when we saw this bill could actually pass. But his counselor told him she changed it but no guarantee if they would let him come here. Can anyone tell me what the process is for release and what are the chances of the bop letting him come to Atlanta with me? They said he wonít have to go to a HWH. We applied to get married a year ago and of course Coleman hasnít been the easiest to get anything approved. But we arenít married yet.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Steele View Post
I met my s/o while in federal custody. We have been together for 2 1/2 years now. I met him through one of my close friends as she is his cousin. He was convicted of drug charges back in 2004. When the first step act was approved, we were anxious to see if he would be eligible. Well I called the federal defenders office in the state where he was convicted and spoke with an attorney who told me someone would call me back and to give them a week or so. Iím thinking yeah okay! Well 30 mins later another attorney called and told me that he met al the criteria he was looking for and would love for my s/o case to be his first successful release. Said with him serving 15 of the 22 years and under the new sentencing, he would ask for time served! We are to excited but now presents my next worry. He is originally from Illinois, he is in Florida and Iím in Atlanta. He put in a change of address a couple months ago to my address when we saw this bill could actually pass. But his counselor told him she changed it but no guarantee if they would let him come here. Can anyone tell me what the process is for release and what are the chances of the bop letting him come to Atlanta with me? They said he wonít have to go to a HWH. We applied to get married a year ago and of course Coleman hasnít been the easiest to get anything approved. But we arenít married yet.
The only thing I can tell you is that you won't be able to be the one to pick him up alone. Even if he's completed all of his time, a family member has to be the one to pick him up. I don't fully understand it, but it's the case.
My s/o is in Alderson FPC and I'm going with her mom to pick her up on February 5th for the same reason. Even though we are engaged, I'm not considered family and can't pick her up on my own.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,951 Times in 12,167 Posts

His unit team case manager has to file a "change of release location" for him. The bop case manager will prepare, and file the request, so he should discuss it to learn his chances.

Without an approved change of release location,, he will be released to the federal judicial district where he was originally sentenced. The application will be sent to US Probation at the new location, and if approved, he will be released there to serve his supervised release sentence. They will be looking for valid reasons why the transfer will give him a better chance of reintegrating into society. (Things like family, housing, job opportunities, etc.) They will need time to review the request, so file it early. If you have a residence where he wants to live, a PO will probably do an on-site check of the property.

If he is going to be sent to a half way house first, it will be to the one closest to where he is going to be released, new or the original one.
My probation officer told me it is easier to have a change approved from prison than it is if he is already set up on supervision at a different probation office.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:38 PM

He requested a relocation package but because his release date isnít u til 2023 they wonít give it to him. We have a hearing coming up under the first step act and the attorneys are 99% sure he will be released. But they said once the judge files the motion, the BOP will have to release him within a week and I donít think thatís enough time for him to get the packet and have it filled out before they let him out. I have no problem with them doing a site check at my home. Iím just worried if they send him to Illinois how hard it will be to have him transferred here. He donít want to go back to Illinois because he donít want to be in the same environment that got him in trouble. He wants a new start which is why I didnít move there.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fentastic0076 View Post
The only thing I can tell you is that you won't be able to be the one to pick him up alone. Even if he's completed all of his time, a family member has to be the one to pick him up. I don't fully understand it, but it's the case.
My s/o is in Alderson FPC and I'm going with her mom to pick her up on February 5th for the same reason. Even though we are engaged, I'm not considered family and can't pick her up on my own.

Wow! I hate that. His mom is medically fragile and canít travel to get him. He will probably have to ride the bus then bc his family canít puck him up =(
The Following User Says Thank You to All4Steele For This Useful Post:
fentastic0076 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,951 Times in 12,167 Posts

If he is judicially released, his lawyer may be able to have the judge specify where. If that doesn't happen, and he ends up in the wrong city, that US District Court will be in charge of his release/supervised release (US Probation is overseen by the courts, not by the US Dept. of Justice) and transfers of supervision happen all the time.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,035 Times in 1,358 Posts

He can petition for a different district than the one he was sentenced in. Unfortunately, you have no legal or familial connection to him and you will not be a factor in his initial release location.

If he could demonstrate that he has strong ties to the community, his chances increase. If he is involved with a church or other group offering support, has a job waiting, owns a home there, is enrolled in an education program or other indicators of community ties, his chances are better.

Basically, districts don't want to increase their case load if they don't have to. I don't think he will be eligible to transfer until at least one year has passed. Personally, if his relationship with the cousins is good, if they have visited and maintained contact and are willing to offer support, this would be the best place to initially relocate.

I think he will have to get permission to get married while on Supervised Release. However, this will change the dynamic of the decision making and make a quick transfer more feasible.

Last edited by bellisq; 01-11-2019 at 09:32 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to bellisq For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-11-2019)