Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in California facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 PM

Default Visiting time cut due to STG issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
Hello everyone,

I am currently a CO working in a prison in the United States. Does anyone have any questions that they would want answered from "my" point of view? About life inside the walls, games inmates play, why COs do certain things etc.
good evening ,how are you?
I have a question about visiting.
what options do we have if our prison is not giving adequate visits.
we have gang issue at the prison my husband is in. so the prison decided to separate visiting between the warring gangs. the split is as follows...
gang A has 25 members on my husbands yard(the husband is not affiliated with any of the gangs) this 25 members get one day of the weekend visiting..
gang b and all other general population(about 400 +) gets the next day.
so the GP day is literally one termanation afrer another.
people driving 7 hours for 1 hour vsist.
what can be done about this ?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogi2376 View Post
good evening ,how are you?
I have a question about visiting.
what options do we have if our prison is not giving adequate visits.
we have gang issue at the prison my husband is in. so the prison decided to separate visiting between the warring gangs. the split is as follows...
gang A has 25 members on my husbands yard(the husband is not affiliated with any of the gangs) this 25 members get one day of the weekend visiting..
gang b and all other general population(about 400 +) gets the next day.
so the GP day is literally one termanation afrer another.
people driving 7 hours for 1 hour vsist.
what can be done about this ?
Can i ask what facility he is in?

I do know that some of the prisons have an advocacy position on visiting that can be joined. I saw it posted at Wasco. Maybe you can join it?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,244 Times in 7,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo527 View Post
Can i ask what facility he is in?

I do know that some of the prisons have an advocacy position on visiting that can be joined. I saw it posted at Wasco. Maybe you can join it?
It's called the Inmate Family Council. They can be very effective, but the majority of that comes from admin's willingness to work with the IFC.

Unfortunately, there is zero regulation that requires them to allow visiting as it's viewed as a privilege. So in this case, the fact that they're splitting visiting under the heading of safety risk, that's them bending over backward.

It's still worth contacting your IFC if it's active and requesting that they address the issue. You can also write to the visiting sgt. and the warden but I wouldn't hold my breath on that getting you very far.

I understand your frustration and I imagine many inmates have stopped receiving visits because of this. It seems like a better solution would be to split visiting weekends-- STG A gets the third weekend, GP gets weekends 1,2 and 4. I know facilities have done that when one yard shared SNY and THU who couldn't mix.

Last edited by miamac; 01-16-2019 at 09:15 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,244 Times in 7,247 Posts
Default Visiting time cut due to STG issues

I've moved your question to the Cali forum so we might be able to help you get more specific answers.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
It's called the Inmate Family Council. They can be very effective, but the majority of that comes from admin's willingness to work with the IFC.

Unfortunately, there is zero regulation that requires them to allow visiting as it's viewed as a privilege. So in this case, the fact that they're splitting visiting under the heading of safety risk, that's them bending over backward.

It's still worth contacting your IFC if it's active and requesting that they address the issue. You can also write to the visiting sgt. and the warden but I wouldn't hold my breath on that getting you very far.

I understand your frustration and I imagine many inmates have stopped receiving visits because of this. It seems like a better solution would be to split visiting weekends-- STG A gets the third weekend, GP gets weekends 1,2 and 4. I know facilities have done that when one yard shared SNY and THU who couldn't mix.
what a great idea!
The Following User Says Thank You to hogi2376 For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Thanked 1,363 Times in 569 Posts

I completely agree, IFC, see what they can do or suggest or help. I want to encourage you to write the Warden also. It affects you. Explain to the Warden how it affects you and ask for a solution or a better arrangement that doesn't limit your visits so much.

Warden will respond.

Everything you can, do it. This is worth pushing for some change.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (01-16-2019)