Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

View Poll Results: How many current members are affected by the Federal Prison System
Affected in some way by the Federal Prison System 2,064 97.87%
Not affected by the Federal Prison System 45 2.13%
Voters: 2109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissher3 View Post
Hi everyone, My name is Kristie & my fiancť is in FCI Elkton. I have not heard from him in 4 days now. He never goes more than 12 hours with out phone or email. Does anyone know if they are on lockdown or should I be thinking he maybe in the hole. Thank you
Kristie,

I wouldn't worry too much. Quite a number of things can happen in the course of a day "inside", none of which is physically threatening to a prisoner. I spent over 4 years at FCI Loretto and knew guys that had been through or come from Elkton. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying. He'll call when he can. I don't know about Elkton at the moment.

I wish you and him the best.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2018, 06:33 AM

Thank you for your response. He has done a lot of time. I know he gets busy. I’m glad you are out and home you never have to go back. He has about a year and 1/2 left after being in for 10 yrs. hey please
Old 01-13-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertainfuture View Post
Going soon to federal. Never been in trouble. Scared. My family is scared.
I am in the same position.. Do you have any updated information
Old 01-13-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseDG View Post
I am in the same position.. Do you have any updated information
Hi DeniseDG, yes I do... my man was quarantined. They did not allow him to let me know but was allowed to fill out a paper so that if I had called they could tell me... he just got back to his cubby & called me... I didnít call, I really donít have an excuse for why I didnít... I just didnít want to add to the situation if he was in trouble... thank god he wasnít....
I am sorry that you are in the same position... I would call there or I capsule ask my man to ask around & see whatís up.... let me know, Iím always willing to help... I donít like the not knowing feeling.... keep your head up & I hope it all works out...
Old 03-10-2018, 07:08 PM

So...hi. I'm new here, sort of. Had a son in Oregon state for a few years, but that was 10 years ago. Never, never thought I'd be here again, and esp. not with boy # 2, and federal on top of that. He was given 10 years, they took him from the county jail yesterday to go to Oklahoma? Would anyone here mind giving me an idea of what's next, how long before we might hear from him and any suggestions on how best to help meet his needs? Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 10:50 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,314 Times in 11,356 Posts

If Oklahoma City will be his first federal prison, he may be there for some time. He will have to be designated to his home prison by the unit in Grand Prairie, TX.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/grand_prairie/

I had already been designated, and was on my way there when I landed in OK City. I stayed there for 6 weeks, but others moved more quickly. He will not have commissary access there. Because we couldn't purchase mailing supplies, we were allowed to send up to 3 "indigent" letters per week.

I have read on PTO that the phone policy has changed there. When I was there, all calls had to be made collect. I think they have switched to the bop inmate telephone system, so he will have to provide a list of all phone numbers he will be allowed to call to his counselor. After they are approved and entered into the computer, and he has received his 9 digit phone pin # in the mail, he can call the numbers collect if those phones can accept collect calls. He can also use the phone and his pin # to transfer money from his inmate/commissary account to his ITS phone account to purchase prepaid phone minutes. Local calls cost him 6 cents/min and long distance calls cost 21 cents/min. He gets 300 phone minutes per month with no carryover of unused minutes.

The only commissary that was available when I was there was to purchase a very few snack items, but only with the money earned in OK City. It took 2 weeks to be assigned a job, and we were paid on one day of the month. I earned a total of about $4.00.

If he will be paying for either telephone or possibly even email, he will need money on his inmate account. Any money in the account will follow him to every bop owned prison. Here's how to send him money:
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 AM

Iím affected by the Federal Prison system for the 2nd time now...my son is back in and for a little longer sentence this time (87 months). Will he ever learn?? Only time will tell I suppose....I continue to hope and pray this is the last time any of us have to go through this. As a mother itís heartbreaking.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:00 PM

Default Hate this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommatrip View Post
So...hi. I'm new here, sort of. Had a son in Oregon state for a few years, but that was 10 years ago. Never, never thought I'd be here again, and esp. not with boy # 2, and federal on top of that. He was given 10 years, they took him from the county jail yesterday to go to Oklahoma? Would anyone here mind giving me an idea of what's next, how long before we might hear from him and any suggestions on how best to help meet his needs? Thanks
My son has been in Federal for 4 yrs now. Oklahoma City was a processing center. We live on the Gulf coast and he was sent to Atlanta. Heís been moved 4 times, some his fault and the system. I believe he stayed 6 weeks in Oklahoma before they sent him. They TRY to put them within 500 miles of home, but that doesnít always work. We funded his account and while in Oklahoma he was able to buy hygiene stuff. I think we sent another inmate that had been there and could make canteen some money and he let my son buy food from him. When he gets to a place heíll be at you need to call Pacific telephone and get a local number for that area. I pay 25.00 a month and I get 2 numbers, it doesnít change your number for your use, but itís a lot cheaper. The other number is for his girlfriend.
Good luck and I wish all well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taylor459 For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (05-28-2018), mommatrip (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 08:10 PM

KC63, I am sorry to hear your son is back in the system, hopefully he WILL learn, I understand your heart as a mom, it's not easy having your heart out there & locked up with your child. I have 2 boys, sadly I can say they have both taken me around this mountain in their own time & way. The older one is out & has been doing well for 10 years. Broke my heart to have the younger one in federal custody, but those are THEIR choices & mistakes. Not ours. Ours is to love them as best we can & no one can say what THAT entails. Love you, mom - praying you find a little joy today this Easter weekend.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC63 View Post
Iím affected by the Federal Prison system for the 2nd time now...my son is back in and for a little longer sentence this time (87 months). Will he ever learn?? Only time will tell I suppose....I continue to hope and pray this is the last time any of us have to go through this. As a mother itís heartbreaking.
As a son who disappointed both his older parents and is now done with my sentence and out for about a year, I feel for you. I pray that you will find comfort where and when you can. I hope his time is spent wisely and productively during this time away from you. I can tell you that it pains me to this day and will till the day I die the disappointment I brought to my family. Only by focusing on God and allowing his changing power to come into my life daily can I avoid any future disappointing choice. I pray your son will come to the same. May the Lord bless you and all other mothers and fathers here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
mommatrip (04-06-2018), MrsDeeKay (03-31-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Alaskachic

Default Ex bf Jesse father of our daughter just got there from Alaska

Ex bf. Jesse father of our daughter just got to FCI la tuna from Alaska. How is the prison?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Obviously, because the Federal affects my loved one, it affects me!
It's so frustrating, the little things...like, laundry was taken down last Tuesday. It wasn't ready yet on pick-up day. The next day the facility's electric was turned off for fence maintenance. Enter the holiday weekend. Finally ready and picked up this past Tuesday. One whole week without clean clothes??
Oh...and did I mention that although 6 pairs of socks and boxers went to laundry, only TWO pairs of socks came back with 3 pair of boxers. Apparently "somehow"...the "ring closure must have come open and items were lost."
Really??!!
I know this likely sounds petty to some...but this is just the latest in a string of events in this system...
Old 04-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Alaskachic

My ex bf the father of our daughter just got there from Alaska. What is the prison like there?
Old 04-09-2018, 08:22 AM

It's an older facility with various housing units based on population similarities. Each unit is 2-3 floors. They wear a khaki uniform but can purchase sweats, shorts, tshirts, etc if they wish. Guards are the typical: you learn which are helpful and which to avoid. Food is so-so and sometimes certain items run out before everyone is fed. Visitation hours are posted on their website. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Alaskachic

Thank you Tilly45. I notice there's no inmate pictures for the ones in FCI la tuna. How or where can people look up the inmates pictures?
Old 04-11-2018, 03:48 PM

My best friend is in Elkton (Libson. oh) any one have family or friends there?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 AM

My husband has been in MCC New York awaiting trial for almost 3 years. the trial finally happened and he got convicted. i think it was a rigged trial but now he is looking at life with no parole i think. I think they will send him to atlanta USP but that place seems to be out of control right now. How do you cope to lose a loved one this way?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 PM

I just got sentenced today to 27 months .. Not sure of the emotions I am feeling ...
Old 05-16-2018, 07:31 PM

I am not sure which forum is the right one to ask this.

My brother is in Federal and he just got transferred. He is telling me he needs all his case files and dockets sent to him immediately to prove he is or isn't something or other...

I have no idea how to get an entire case file sent to him. Does this sound right?

Anyone know how to go about this?
Old 05-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmac12 View Post
I am not sure which forum is the right one to ask this.

My brother is in Federal and he just got transferred. He is telling me he needs all his case files and dockets sent to him immediately to prove he is or isn't something or other...

I have no idea how to get an entire case file sent to him. Does this sound right?

Anyone know how to go about this?
I am not sure which facility he is in. It is not uncommon for a person new to an institution to be asked to provide their paperwork to prove they were not an informant of a child molester. I have been out for several years but from memory, it needs to be sent under the legal mail process. You should be able to look that up online. Be sure not to mention anything in a phone call about the why as that could cause problems with administration. I am sure someone on here can provide some more recent info on how to go about this.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:11 PM

5 down; 9 to go....ugghh
Old 05-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Only a lawyer can send legal mail to a federal inmate. There are some documents that a prisoner isn't allowed to have, including his presentence investigation report, so sending him the wrong files could get both of you in trouble. If his criminal case doesn't involve the two reasons for the request, a sex offense or cooperating with the police for a reduced sentence, you can send him a copy of his judgment and commitment order by regular mail. It is available on pacer, Public Access to Court Electronic Records.
https://www.pacer.gov/findcase.html

I did a 5 year federal prison sentence, mostly in FCI Medium security prisons and was never asked for my "paperwork" so it seems unusual, unless he is in a penitentiary. It could be because of the group he is trying to associate with.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:32 AM

Default Husband in federal system--i'm scared for him

My husband is in MDC Brooklyn awaiting sentencing but at least one of the charges he was convicted of carries a mandatory sentence of life with no parole. he says it is horrible there. he cannot get insulin because he cannot hear them call him for it and none of the medical staff speaks english. there is little food and it is only half cooked. he has asked other inmates who are transferring from other prisons and he was told that he will go to a USP and it will be worse than where he is. i don't know where he will go but he says the USPs are just slaughterhouses.

I am so scared for him. he has absolutely no hope left and i don't know anything about the federal system.

Can anyone provide some information about this?
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

His conditions at his eventual "designated" prison will depend on the actual prison. Many "lifers" do very well there after becoming acclimated. If he isn't getting his insulin, he needs to sign up for sick call every day. If that doesn't fix the problem, he needs to file an inmate grievance. Not saying it isn't happening there, but I never encountered a bop employee who spoke Spanish who wasn't also competent in English.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:35 AM

i hope he will have a better time once he gets to a permanent location but he has to make it there. i am not sure he will. i am not sure the medical staff is spanish but they don't speak english. he has sent emails to the medical and he is talking to his atty about it.

the other inmates he has talked to say the federal prisons are bad and are just slaughterhouses.