Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-25-2002, 04:05 PM

Unhappy On my way

I am hoping that this can help me. Even though my husband is already in and I have been doing work with the system now for several years, I am still feeling like I know nothing. I will be self surrendering in a few months for a 13 month federal sentence. What should I expect, what should I avoid, what what what? I have many questions but no real answers. Or maybe not the answers I need/want. I am a 31 year old single mother. Any discussion would be helpful
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,748 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default The "System"

Kali,
I know you have a lot on your plate right now and hope you are doing the best possible. I had a self surrender date of May 29th 2000 and recently got out.
I am assuming your self-surrender is into a federal institution. Do you know which one yet? What security level and where? Are you looking at a camp?
I have many female friends that have traveled the federal system and could shine quite a bit of light on what to expect. I know quite a bit about it but if you know where you are headed, maybe I can find someone that can really shine some insight on that facility, staff, etc. Not all federal institutions are the same..

Hang in there,
David
Old 01-25-2002, 11:42 PM

I can't offer any insight...the only "time" I ever did was 11 months in a JDC. But, I do want to say that I will keep in you in my thoughts and prayers, as well as your family...and pray that you are all given the strength to get through this. It will certainly be a difficult time, but it is amazing how much closer a family can become during trials such as these. I wish all of you the best of luck and a lifetime of love and understanding.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:50 PM

Yes, it will be to a federal place. I am hoping for the camp in Pekin, IL. My daughter will be in foster care in the chicago area and hopefully I will be able to see her while I am gone. I am not so worried about going, I guess I have accepted it, I suppose I do worry about what will go on, I have heard to many horror stories. I need to know the truth about what to expect. how much money will I need (I don't smoke) what should I be prepared for, etc. Since my husband is already away, there is no one "out here" for me to fall back on so I need to plan ahead. I will put everything like a money order, address and phone list, pictures, etc. in a mailbox I find on the way to the camp. What else??? Then to be honest, even more then going, coming back scares the heck out of me. Where will I live, how will I get a job, how will I take care of my child? Again, it is me and me alone, there is no one to come back to.....suggestions, other then to just relax...I know I get a bit freaked but....
Old 01-28-2002, 09:23 PM

Question freaked out

Kali, I know how freaked out you must feel!! I myself just was released after a three year federal sentence. I remember how scared I was and I tried to make it go away with alcohol but you are being responsible and planning for the future. I can give you some good advice on what you will need on the inside. Your sentence was 13 months right? On good thing is that you will receive good time of 54 days so that will shorten your sentence. You will also need $$ for hygiene, snacks, and clothing. And things are expensive on comissary!! When you self surrender wear gray sweats and all white tennies and they may let you keep them. You will have to have a job and they will pay you but not much. You usually start at .12 cents an hour. Try to stay to yourself and keep busy because the worst thing about prison is being bored! Have pictures sent in and set up correspondence with your husband so you can write him. Feel free to ask me anything!!
Old 01-28-2002, 09:37 PM

Thank you! Okay good to know about the sweats and shoes. How much money should I plan on needing? I will have to send it on my way and there will be no way for me to get more so I need to have a rough idea. I do not plan on buying snacks, all I really want is paper, pencils stamps and envelopes. I know the phone system already and will only be calling my daughter 1x per week. There is no one else to call. Heres what you may think is a goofy question, but what will I sleep in? What do I need to do in order to be able to write my husband? Will I be able to see him when I get out? The lady that did my psi knows he is away, I haven';t gotten the report yet so I don't know what it says. I do know it is important that it be accurate, anything else I should know about my life that has been condenced into a 10 page book? Stay to myself...Should I be evasive if I am asked questions or just stay out of the way in general? If I want can I sit in my cell/cubicle when ever I don't have to work? All the info you can give me will make this a bunch easier. And what was it like for you to come out?
Thankl you so much, even knowing those little things help a great deal.
K
Old 01-28-2002, 10:45 PM

Kali,
When you get there they will provide you with all your clothing including pjs but you can buy shorts , t-shirts and sweats on comissary. Shorts are around $12, t-shirts $5-10, and sweats about $20 each piece. They even give your panties and bra which are the worst: Granny panties and sports bras!!They also will provide soap,shampoo and toothpaste but it will eat your skin off and fry your hair!!(LOL) Get a good hair cut before you go because inmates cut your hair and they aren't the greatest! You can have one chain with one religious medallion also. I had about $100 per month but I used the phone a lot. So if you don't smoke or buy snacks then maybe $50 will do. They will also provide you with paper and envelopes but you have to buy your stamps.If you have a fine you have to make minimum payments towards it while you are there. Your case manager will tell you all of these things. Make sure your psi says that he is your husband and the case manager will set up your correspondence. You can talk to people but be careful because there are a lot of scandalous people in prison. Don't just sit around alone because your time will drag but just don't be to trusting also. I made some great friends while I was there and you will to so try not to be scared because the time will go by fast with less than a year to do!!
Old 01-29-2002, 06:04 AM

Thanks. If there are other things you think about please let me know.
K
Old 04-11-2002, 05:43 PM

just wanted to let you know keep your head up myself just got out of the pen you said 13 mos that is not a lot of time time will go by fast don't cry don't be weak reamember this i will tell you again remember you have NO friends you went in alone and will leave alone if i sound a littil hard get used to it if you want to talk more i will talk with you if not i wish you the best
Old 04-26-2002, 11:24 PM

hey Kali just wanted to check up and see how you were doing...
Old 05-24-2002, 05:33 AM

Hi Kali, just wanted to let you know that two years after 39 months that life can turn out great. Hang in there.