Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Pets & Animal Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animal Discussions Man of us have furry (or other) loved ones at home with us. Please use this forum to talk about anything and everything relating to them, hobbies relating to them, etc.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:45 AM

Default This dog will surely kill me...:)

I have a male beagle that I got in 2012.... long before my husband's ordeal started. Seeing as my husband doesn't work due to his disability and I didn't work for ten years until this past September he is not left alone much and when he is it sometimes end in disaster. We have two cats but they obviously aren't enough to keep him occupied since as I'm sure most of us know cats are moody and they have put Copper in his place from time to time. With that said I've said for a long time I'd like to get another dog and while my son preferred a big dog like a pit bull I wanted a small one. A co-worker rescued a shih-tzu and he is adorable and loving and Copper is getting used to him.

Yesterday I planned to mow my grass before work. I was outside with my coffee, smoking and the dogs were out with me. My friend down the street called and asked if my "new puppy" (I got him 2 days before) was inside and I told her no he was in the yard and I was out back. Well, Toby wasn't in the yard. He apparently squeezed between my gate and fence in the little gap without me knowing. I spent the next 2.5 hours searching (and finding) him. I found him 3 times but the little s*** wouldn't come to me when I'd call him. I had tried everything. He had already crossed a busy street... I was scared to death that he'd do another. I put him on a few sites as well as the NextDoor app and after almost 3 hours someone found him and contained him so I could go get him!!! He was so excited to see me....THEN!! Ugh! We've blocked his way out of the gate but now we aren't letting him out of our sight when he's outside... I don't trust Houdini and I don't have the energy to chase after him every day! I had NO IDEA those suckers could run as fast and as long as he did!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Girl22472 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (05-09-2019), maytayah (05-11-2019), sidewalker (05-11-2019), WeepingWillow (05-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,223 Posts

You could try putting him on a run line - like a clothes line, but you attach a leash to the line and to him. He can run around the yard, but can't get very far outside of it.

They certainly can be escape artists! One of mine knows how to open the door from the garage to the inside of the house, so we have to keep it locked and make sure the big garage door is fully closed before we open the door to the house!
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:29 AM

He's pretty much been attached to me when I'm home since I got him back. When we go outside I just make sure he's always in my sight. We're pretty sure we know where he got out and have it blocked but I"m not trusting him just quite yet.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:32 PM

Always have to make sure your yard is dog escape proof. Dogs will walk a yard to find and easy way to get out the yard. I have a boy shih tzu that does it a lot. Had to make sure it's dog escape proof or he'll be out running the neighborhood. He likes to walk the entire backyard to check to see if he can find an opening. When he sees it's no way out he finish up using the bathroom and be ready to come back in. I don't trust him out by himself my eyes always on him. He's a very curious doggy.
The Following User Says Thank You to keywii For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keywii View Post
Always have to make sure your yard is dog escape proof. Dogs will walk a yard to find and easy way to get out the yard. I have a boy shih tzu that does it a lot. Had to make sure it's dog escape proof or he'll be out running the neighborhood. He likes to walk the entire backyard to check to see if he can find an opening. When he sees it's no way out he finish up using the bathroom and be ready to come back in. I don't trust him out by himself my eyes always on him. He's a very curious doggy.
Yes! I don't let him out of my sight outside now. Good thing he listens most of the time... His little stunt garnered him a middle name.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:52 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,289 Times in 15,621 Posts

Whew, glad you got him back!!
Our pup I dont think would take off. But I still dont let him off lead often, unless its to play ball.
One time he was left out front by accident. (doors left open and then I shut him out not knowing he was still out there. I hear him whining and start looking for him.

I finally open the front door and there he is waiting like a good boy. lol.

actually once in the middle of the night, on a wet rainy night I again hear him *yipping* outside in the back yard.
I could not see him, and finally figured out he's slipped into our neighbors back yard from a loose board but couldnt get back over. I managed to move the board aside and get him back in our yard.
Had to go over the next day and tell the neighbor about the board (its one of those good neighbor fences and the thing needed to be tacked on their side)
Neighbor says....oh I thought he sounded really close last night?!

oops

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Girl22472 (05-11-2019)