Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Washington Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics & Discussions relating to prison & jail visitation, phones, packages & mail.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:07 AM

Default List of approved vendors for Used Books at Stafford Creek

Hi everyone,

I'm new, I looked up an old friend and started writing to him. He's been in for 12 years and has about 5 to go. The rules for publications at SCCC allow used books from "approved" non-profits.

I really like "Better World Books" ( I can't post the URL as a link yet, but you can type in the name and it's *.com* ) , I have been buying books there for years for myself. The shipping is FREE, and books average about $3.50 to $4.00 each! Also, all the profits go to Education, so thats really cool in my opinion. Check out the site..

How can I get a list of the approved non-profits?

One more small question: What is the maximum number of pages I can send in an envelope?

THANKS for any replies in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,708 Times in 3,035 Posts

I'm not sure who the approved vendors are and couldn't find a list quickly. Also not sure what the max number of pages are, nor could I quickly find the administrative ruling.

I did find what you *can't* send, so here's a link to that: http://www.doc.wa.gov/information/po...s/450100a1.pdf

The post office doesn't like envelopes that are more than 1/4 inch thick. Oregon prisons won't allow it, but I don't know about WA prisons. Generally, 10 pieces of paper in a regular long white envelope pushes the 1/4 inch rule.

You might try a google search for "Washington DOC inmate mail administrative regulation" and wade through that to see if you can find the legal requirements.

Also, generally, books from Amazon or Powells are usually acceptable, but can't swear to that.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 PM

Thank you Ginger, I'm thinking I will call SCCC in the next couple days, and get the answer. I'll post what they say here.

Last edited by Lynnwood; 01-21-2018 at 09:58 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynnwood For This Useful Post:
GingerM (01-22-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:08 PM

When my buddy was in CRCC they said new books only. He got moved to SCCC recently and I just assumed it was the same policy. Any update?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 PM

UPDATE:

This information only pertains to Stafford Creek Corr. Ctr.

The phone for the Mail Room is 360-537-1903 (forgot to note the name)
The phone for the Property Room is 360-537-1943 (Sgt. Coleman)

1) There is no page limit for letters coming by snail mail, however the post office doesn't like letter size envelopes to be thicker that 1/4 inch.

2) There is only one "used book" vendor that is accepted by SCCC, and the very helpful guy in the Mail Room said all they will do is go over to the Western Section and grab a book to send. I didn't even take the name.

3) Their preferred vendor for new books is Barnes and Noble, for the reasons stated under Amazon.

4) Amazon is also an accepted vendor, but you have to be careful. Since sometimes you are buying from a 3rd Party Vendor, not actually Amazon, the book could be rejected. He said this happens because of the 3rd Party reason, when people think selecting "NEW" means "New" -- What is actually means is that the book is in New Condition, but it is used. You need to be careful you are getting an actual new book.

For Barnes and Noble and Amazon Address Book, I am getting packages through addressed like this:

Last Name, First Name X#X-##-X #Inmate# (Bldg, Section, Bunk, then Inmate #)
STAFFORD CREEK CORR CTR
191 CONSTANTINE WAY
ABERDEEN, WA 98520-9504
United States
Phone number: XXX-XX-XXXX (I use mine)

5) Inmates have to keep all their belongings in a property box. The size is: 18"X10"X12"

6) Although books and items with spiral binding are not allowed, I sent a spiral bound calendar before I knew that and it was accepted. I wouldn't count on it, but mine did get through.

7) My inmate needs a lamp replacement, and Sgt Coleman said inmates need to buy that from the prison store. (whatever they call it).

8) Union Supply Direct has a very limited supply of items for sale, I hope they get more stock.

That's all I've got for now, if you can add anything please do!

Last edited by Lynnwood; 02-06-2018 at 11:18 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynnwood For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-07-2018), Minor activist (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM

Thanked 1,461 Times in 798 Posts

Thank you, Lynnwood. That was detailed and helpful. I did not understand what you meant by one point.
Quote:
2) There is only one "used book" vendor that is accepted by SCCC, and the very helpful guy in the Mail Room said all they will do is go over to the Western Section and grab a book to send. I didn't even take the name.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Thank you, Lynnwood. That was detailed and helpful. I did not understand what you meant by one point.
I read that as "You ask to place an order, and the used book employee will just pick a random Western novel off the shelf and ship it, so you really don't have any control over which book gets sent."
Old 02-08-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
I asked the mail room guy about approved used book vendors. He did tell me about one vendor, but you cannot "select a book": you pay for a book, no idea how much, and the vendor employee literally walks over to the Western section, grabs a book, and mails it to the inmate.

The phone for the Mail Room is 360-537-1903, maybe I misunderstood!

It didn't sound like anything I wanted to participate in. I'm sticking to Amazon, Barnes and Noble.

Last edited by Lynnwood; 02-08-2018 at 09:39 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynnwood For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-09-2018)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Please be aware of the updated website information on "used books" these are only for volunteer organisations like books to prison. No used book I am told will now be accepted from an individual.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KateAndrews39 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-17-2019), GingerM (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Donation Award 

I'm surprised they don't allow Powell's books, but I couldn't say why I'm surprised. Some rules make no sense.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:41 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,870 Times in 12,631 Posts

The WADOC made a big deal about the change that now supposedly allows used books to be sent to inmates, but it's not what it seems.