Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Question Can he parole out here?? CA to CO Interstate Compact?

Hello everyone,
My fiance is currently incarcerated in CA. Since his incarceration I have moved out here to Colorado due to financial issues. Our plan was to have him parole out here to CO when he gets out. These are the things we DO know, his restitution has to be paid off, and it does take a couple months to be approved. The things we don't understand is how exactly it works. He has no shelter in CA anymore, the only shelter is here in CO. Do we have to married for him to parole out here? Can CA parole deny his request for a parole change? Do his charges matter in this situation? Any answers will do. I just need to know the process of this or if its even possible? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2011, 03:52 PM
2008Tea Party-CA Co-Chair

Thanked 2,531 Times in 797 Posts

I know it's up to the receiving state to approve the transfer request, California doesn't have a 'say' in this. It takes about three or four months to process, but I think he can apply when they process his release papers.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:09 PM
te quiero siempre

Quote:
Originally Posted by emvalles88 View Post
Hello everyone,
My fiance is currently incarcerated in CA. Since his incarceration I have moved out here to Colorado due to financial issues. Our plan was to have him parole out here to CO when he gets out. These are the things we DO know, his restitution has to be paid off, and it does take a couple months to be approved. The things we don't understand is how exactly it works. He has no shelter in CA anymore, the only shelter is here in CO. Do we have to married for him to parole out here? Can CA parole deny his request for a parole change? Do his charges matter in this situation? Any answers will do. I just need to know the process of this or if its even possible? Thanks
1. It is totally up to his Parole Officer to file the paperwork needed for a transfer. His PO will do this if he feels it will be best for the paroling inmate to successfully do his parole.
2. You have to be married or he has to have immediate family he can move in with AND who are willing to support him during his parole period. You also have to have lived in the area he is paroling too for at least 6 months.
3. Yes restitution has to be paid off.

When he is released on parole, he informs his PO immediately that he wants a transfer to CO. His PO will do this if he believes it is a positive thing and you are his immediate family. Just a note: My husband and I married the day he was released and he was able to transfer to me within 5 months. It would have gone faster, but there was a glitch in the restitution paperwork. Oh, and the Parole Agency is not concerned if your fiance is homeless. So was my husband until his transfer went thru. He was able to live in a halfway house.

If your fiance is approved for transfer, he has to follow Cali's parole regulations AND Colorados regulations. Like my state makes the parolee PAY an amount every month based on income for parole services like drug tests; if you don't pay its a violation. Just keep searching for information and be informed. Good luck!

Just a Note: realize that people on parole in Cali for non-violent, non-serious, non-sexually related offenses are "eligible" to get off parole in 6 months now.
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings of eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 AM

Thanked 1,193 Times in 825 Posts

From what I'm being told right now unless he is affected by AB 109 there won't be any further transfers until DAPO has revised their parole structure and completely complied with AB 109. Maybe it's possible for him to meet with the prison parole organizer and see if the process can be started early.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 AM
(f/k/a ARoman)

Thanked 1,392 Times in 813 Posts

Colorado parole can be much more difficult than California. Please be aware that for the first 3 months (at least) he will not be allowed to drive. Depending on what he was charged with, there can be many conditions placed on him that he won't have in California. I just went through this with my son and we decided he is better off staying in California and finishing his parole. It is quite expensive for us because we have to pay his rent, etc. BUT his chances of successfully completing parole are much greater. Colorado has some seriously jacked up conditions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabelle For This Useful Post:
2sleepy (10-17-2011), Mrs.760 (10-18-2011)