Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Met While Incarcerated
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Met While Incarcerated Were you introduced by a friend or family member after he/she was incarcerated? Did you meet as Pen Pals? This Forum is for you!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:50 AM

One other thing Ive noticed from my own experience, from reading and from the many many conversations I’ve had about mwi not working out.
This may sound mean- but pay attention to differences in social status between the two of you.
If he’s extremely good looking and you’re not, it could be a red flag, or vice versa- if you’re way more successful and accomplished than he is/was, but you’ve had bad luck in love and think you’re finally found someone who ‘gets’ you, and you’re willing to overlook his current situation because love is more important than money or status- could be red flag.

And even if it’s not a scam, careful of that once he gets released- I’ve noticed from myself and a lot of people that the mwi will often go looking to have a relationship with someone more on their level once they’re out- whether that means they date above or below you.
Even though you may be more sane, better looking, stable and have more money- oftentimes they’ll go back to their drug addict crazy ex or meet someone new who’s nowhere near the person you are and you’ll be thinking “ wtf! He picked HER?” It’s almost insulting- but the saying “ birds of feather” is quite true.
Just a note to keep in mind.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nawlinsrainy For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2019), Cutepixie (07-03-2019), ILLINOIS.PAL (06-17-2019), miamac (06-17-2019), Sarianna (06-16-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawlinsrainy View Post
One other thing Ive

you’re willing to overlook his current situation because love is more important than money or status- could be red flag.

And even if it’s not a scam, careful of that once he gets released- I’ve noticed from myself and a lot of people that the mwi will often go looking to have a relationship with someone more on their level once they’re out- whether that means they date above or below you.

Even though you may be more sane, better looking, stable and have more money- often times they’ll go back to their drug addict

crazy ex or meet someone new who’s nowhere near the person you are and you’ll be thinking “ wtf! He picked HER?”

It’s almost insulting- but the saying “ birds of feather” is quite true.

Just a note to keep in mind.

hola ..hi chica...

Yep. 100% right only on the part imo where you're saying, BIRDS of a feather. That's why i always keep and a few here know i say this MUCHO chica,
that "I keep 1 foot in at all times on this "rare journey'as i call it, i keep one foot in,and one foot out, of it, at all times,
so this way i am "already one step-ahead of the um MWI "game" or real life game i call it, vs. jail game."If i put "both feet in, then i would be, meaning,
i am prepared already mentally and secure within, to know if it does not work out, i am not hurt, and i will just as always bounce back,
and have such a rewarding god-bless vida, i am good either way and i can smile when he is not." good night, and hugs and blessings to all."

#BESMART and remember, there are signs NEON bright red flags, yep.
Just up to US not to ignore em' for amor.(not for love) not worth it, and i am glad i "finally get it, after 2 bad dv relations etc.al., for years now i am good. and truly happy WITHOUT a man for however long, pero i am happy and if this work out great!(If not i have such a great god-blessed healthy happy days and night i am good either way."adios."

Lead with your "mind" and not your heart."
Let no one hold you back from being happy.

Life is too short to "settle for anything less."

#Strength is Power. #KnowyourWorth

#taas (there are ALWAYS signs.)Don't ignore them.

Last edited by a.rare.love; 06-16-2019 at 07:27 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to a.rare.love For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 07:52 PM

[quote=ILLINOIS.PAL;7780816]I[font=Century Gothic]'m interested to know about those who have "successful" MWI (specifically through pen pal websites) relationships where you're "sure" you're not being scammed... how are/were your relationships different than the ones Marseille is addressing here? Or the one posted about by OP? Or, how do you know/why do you trust you're the only woman/man your MWI writes to?

What about your relationship makes you feel it's genuine?

Hola chica, hi Illinois Pal.
This shall be another 1 of mi long post and i read your query over a few times.
Good evening.

I personally IMHO(in my honest opinion) as i said here few times for years...

I just do not feel a dude in prison, county jail etc.al., who has asked a lady for dinero es scamming. (dinero/money etc.al.,) nope.I truly believe not all men in prison(or women) are using people on the outside, NOT if the right connection, has been made, unlike any other he has experienced in his entire dark negative life et.al.,but it doesn't mean he will not start. But again i do not think a man "asking few x is using a lady at all" NOT in "all cases, as i shall continue to share more below with you tonight."

However:

Now if you're talkin' to a dude behind bars, and he all the time(or later on began asking for MORE and more $$$ or "send adult magazines for him, or things of that nature, to other things i.e., Beba, oh i really do need money again because "this time " yea, "I need boots, i need clothing, i need socks, i need this, i need that EACH day or week, and or i need over fifty to one hundred dollars for some new kicks( sneakers.) I gotta pay this "back." I gots to pay this debt back, i gotta "buy this." I need gift pkgs., etc.al., yet you're JUST sendin' the guy money or a nice thoughtful pkg. etc.al,. and right away he want more, i'm talkin' bout within same week, as i have met some here sufferin' from that and i was able to help them yep, exactly what was going on."They are better now for it and i am glad i was able to help them, recognize and realize the SIGNS and never again to think wit' their heart. LET YOUR MIND lead you as it will never steer you wrong."When he is asking over and over again for $$$ to gift pkgs., talkin' bout he starvin' smh. But, yet, before he was blessed meeting you, he had to just DEAL with having hole in shoes, or "starvin."

If he continue to ask for things he really CAN DO WITHOUT, imo he is a no good POS and yes, quite feasibly scamming you, and i would leave, and not look back at all."

+
(especially) see below:

-1.)Askin' for LARGE AMOUNTS while in prison as if his life depended on it. knowing he has no rent to pay,electric bill, gas, heating bill, A//C bill, and or rent, mortgage, as in the um real world, yes, if he has consistently, daily or every week bi-weekly "expectin' it then i m goin to say YES, he is lookin @ a chick as if she is a f--kin ATM. She is not and she need to be more astute and prudent, and able to "read him better, to protect her dinero $ most of all her own SANITY."

2.)If he is not showin' her "action aka proving one's self, by doing things for her throughout, and is CONSISTENT with it, then feasibly he is a scammer or as many say a PPG.( a pen-pal gamer) and it's time to either say ADIOS or stay in it, thinking one day he will stop or um "change."I would know to go and not look back, and leave/walk away from such LOSER bum with a smile because, GOD shall not bless ugly.That's cruel and ugly to use a GREAT woman like this and think you're going to be blessed, en vida. NO WAY."

-
As for mi self?

-i've had friends in prison from who i met in the real world, to prison county jail world.

-I believe the way i am able to tell is simplistic for me, for a long time now.

That es chica, judging how he:

-Treat me.

-What he ask for and or how often? (If ever) et.al.,

-Is he acting furtive(secretive) et.al., and or has he truly opened up about his horrid life and or "past or current lifestyle, and stuff like that." Yet, "expecting me to do for him, be there 4 him, etc."

-Does he do for me, as if he was "free in the real world even with limited means, but yet, always finding ways to please me, while incarcerated et.al.,

-Is he applying "action to the words falling from his labios(his lips)or not, as i know all about Jail Talk vs.Real Talk, for which is a real thing and i have so far been able to compartmentalize such "realness" of mi guy behind bars, to the fakeness of it all and i refuse to be used + played with as if we are in high school, and he know i would not stand for it."I am smarter than 1 may think as i am able to "read each of his moves" when it come to me"and i will leave if i ever even thought and believe for 1 minute he was doing that to me, and smile as i walk away knowing i shall still be happy and BLESSED by the lord as i am already, day and night as i truly believe in BAD KARMA to hit some 1 if they try and dog a good person out the way many have been hurt and played with, so i know i would keep being blessed for how great in life i am and live by the lord above, and how he would want me to be, so i will forever be blessed by GOD, but he will not be, so that always give me comfort, at the end of the day." Good luck to u and as i always say # T.A.A.S.(there are always signs) just up to the person involved, to NOT ignore them." Adios.Hugs and blessings for you tonight, chica... g-night.

Lead with your "mind" and not your heart."
Let no one hold you back from being happy.

Life is too short to "settle for anything less."

#Strength is Power. #KnowyourWorth

#taas (there are ALWAYS signs.)Don't ignore them.

Last edited by a.rare.love; 06-16-2019 at 08:06 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to a.rare.love For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.rare.love View Post
2.)If he is not showin' her "action aka proving one's self, by doing things for her throughout, and is CONSISTENT with it,

Can you expand on this?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:25 PM

I think, as some others have mentioned, that consistency is key.. D and I met thru a pen-pal ad and have been writing now for 14 years...Through these 14 years he has remained consistent, aside from bettering himself more. Our relationship has grown and I feel very confident that he's not scamming me. He doesn't ask for money and when I send it, he gets frustrated-he wants to be able to provide from himself and does, though as one other was saying, he's changed his ways and doesn't do thing like he use to, so finances are tighter then before. I think it's good to take things slow, feel things out..no need to rush (that could be a red flag in itself!)...time tells a lot! : )
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smiles844 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (06-17-2019), Lovebirds (06-20-2019), maytayah (06-17-2019), miamac (06-17-2019), MizzyMuffling (06-18-2019), Taliba00 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:04 PM

My MWI and I have been together for almost 10 years now, married for six years. Heís about to parole within the next 12 months so I guess Iíll find out soon enough. 🙂

I think most people worry in the beginning of a relationship, whether the other person is incarcerated or not. Weíre vulnerable when we open our heart and fall in love. We donít want our heart broken and we worry whether or not the other person feel the same way.
I personally believe that actions speak louder than words. Itís showing that you care for one another, making sure the other person is safe and feeling good. My husbandís actions tell me he loves me and cares for me, even more than he cares about himself.
04/05/2016 I immigrated to the US
10/27/2016 My husband received Presidential clemency

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
Bobette37 (07-12-2019), Cleopatra95 (07-01-2019), Cutepixie (07-03-2019), ILLINOIS.PAL (06-21-2019), kellydavid410 (07-03-2019), Kimimi (06-21-2019), maytayah (06-21-2019), miamac (06-21-2019), Sarianna (06-21-2019), Taliba00 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:26 PM

I met mine through a family member. She had talked to me about her brother for 8 years at work and how great we would be together. He also has done a lot of time and has seen all the scams from his side of the fence. He didnít want to have that kind of stereotypical relationship. We did not meet u til the day he got out. He did not profess his love, devotion or tell he he was going to magically make my life better when he was released. We were just two people writing starting to care about each other and we had a date on his release day. He got out almost two years ago and we have lived together ever since after he did a short stay at a Parole apartment. There are no guarantees but watch the red flags and donít put up with any that pop up. Prison talk is full of people to help you along the way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (06-25-2019), miamac (06-21-2019), Sarianna (06-22-2019), Taliba00 (06-22-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Thanked 1,863 Times in 928 Posts

Ok, I believe that every relationship is a compromise. We use each other, and not necessarily in a bad way. When we commit to one another you typically have boundaries and rules in place in a relationship. This isn't just set for romantic relationships it's with friendships and families as well. We help each other out. My family might pay for my meal, and then the next week I bring them flowers or buy them a meal. My boyfriend might one month pay the majority of the bills and the next month I pay the majority. Some times relationships aren't 50/50. Think of when you or your partner or someone you love is depressed? Hurt? You pick up the slack or vice versa. Ok, where I'm getting at is there's a line of when something becomes a scam. There's a line when people are taking advantage of other's.

That line for me is dishonesty. Let's say you have a boyfriend and you one day get an email from a few other women stating they are talking to him too. That is dishonesty. Now, if he told you from the start and you agreed to those terms then I don't believe someone took advantage of you. I believe you made the conscious choice to enter a relationship knowing that someone was talking to others. This happens all the time. People are aware that their partner dates others or maybe they have an open relationship. Again that is not taking advantage of someone, unless you coerced them into the situation. So, I believe that's the difference.

I have had two MWI relationships. E was my first. That man was something special. I was in a very low dark place when I first started talking to him. So, does that mean I used him? We formed a really amazing friendship. He was open, honest, and helped me through a very traumatic time in my life. I believe I also did the same for him. Did we use one another? Now, when he began to use again that's when dishonesty came into the picture. That's when I started to feel as though our relationship had unfortunately shifted. We had something really beautiful while it lasted but when I started to see signs of things going left I put up boundaries and barriers to protect myself. My second MWI. Which NEVER thought would happen. I was just in a weird space and continued writing people after E. I never imagined meeting someone else, and had made that very clear to the people I was writing to. However, one of the guys JT that I had been writing to, we just clicked. He sent me a picture and the moment I touched it was like electricity. Our relationship while he was in was amazing. Did he use me. He very well could have. I was at a very vulnerable time and space and thought I saw a future with him. Upon his release everything fell apart. It felt like he chose everything but what he said he was going to, me. I was angry and hurt. I felt used. Did he SCAM me? I would say there's a big possibility. I think the important thing here is to define what scamming is. Again, look at the give and take from a relationship point of view. Scamming to me means being dishonest and taking advantage of someone. This could be many different things. Their loyalty. Using them to do things they shouldn't, and using love as a means to coerce them. Not only that but putting someone you "love" in a position that could hurt them physically, emotionally, or mentally. Those are things I think are scams and you need to be mindful of. Normal relationships have give and take.
ILLINOIS.PAL (07-03-2019), LotusBlossom23 (07-04-2019), Sarianna (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 03:12 PM

I dunno, sometimes I feel like the scammer for wanting a ton of sex and that we can be so open with each other about everything. Sometimes he worries too, if weíre after the wrong thing (sex) but thatís our anxiety yelling at us. I donít really have anything to give other than letters. I donít feel scammed that he likes visits because I like it too. I guess itís really hard to tell a lot of the time for most people, especially when people really get vocal about being scammed.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Every relationship is unique. And being an mwi I can tell you there is a lot of sexual energy flying around while they are locked up. When they are out it is like any normal relationship you have daily life stuff so the sex is t the only thing to concentrate on. Make sure you have a strong connection other than the physical. They go from 24/7 not doing much to working, school, parole requirements. Prison was the easy part of our relationship. Communication and honesty is the only thing I believe will make it work. Good luck mwi can be so much fun and just a truly unique kind of love
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimimi For This Useful Post:
LotusBlossom23 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimimi View Post
Every relationship is unique. And being an mwi I can tell you there is a lot of sexual energy flying around while they are locked up. When they are out it is like any normal relationship you have daily life stuff so the sex is t the only thing to concentrate on. Make sure you have a strong connection other than the physical. They go from 24/7 not doing much to working, school, parole requirements. Prison was the easy part of our relationship. Communication and honesty is the only thing I believe will make it work. Good luck mwi can be so much fun and just a truly unique kind of love
Thanks Kimimi, I appreciate this to know Iím not alone and your wisdom from experience. We did start talking about our feelings after there was a little communication issue, I think he and I figured if it was just sex and friendship then no one would get hurt but he and I got pretty confused and anxious anyway. The truth came out that we feel more about each other but we have a lot of concerns about getting hurt and scammed by someone getting passionate with us, or even harder to deal with loving us, then leaving. So we definitely decided to take more time to get to know each other too. Opening up wasnít exactly the easiest, but we did it and it made us feel better. -Lotus
Old 07-12-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLINOIS.PAL View Post
Can you expand on this?
How's he shown me he's genuine...

We didn't start as a relationship, but a friendship. We've never been anything but brutally honest. He let me into his life, told me about his few friends inside, about his family, the few girlfriends he'd had, about his small hustles and the prison economy... I visited him once, slipped down for the weekend to hold his hand and eat with him, and hug him hard.

We stopped talking for maybe a year, and then reconnected. I'd divorced since then. All of the friendship and connection was still there, but he was different. He'd purposefully kept us casual because he didn't want to be the reason my marriage didn't work. Morals inside a prison?!! Yes, many have 'em. I think that's one thing scammers would have a hard time faking.

Since we've reconnected...

He writes a couple times a week, of course. Once he apologized because he'd been lazy that week, only sent one letter. I said you're not obliged to send me letters all the time. He said, "do you like getting letters? Well, alright then. I'm obliged". LOL. They're not always long, and they don't have to be.

He started writing "scenes" for me and wrote, save these. If you're still struggling alongside of me when I get out, you can pull one out any time, and lay it on the dresser, and I'll act it out for you.

I asked if he'd call, and I set up an account. Their phones were 21 cents a minute at the time, so he monitored how long we talked. Once I asked him to call right back, and got a "No. You've spent enough money." LOL. But he'd always end his call with big loud kisses - Mwuahh! Mwuahh! I can only IMAGINE the looks he must get sometimes, big man with a rep to uphold making kissie noises into the phone.

Then the "if you're still with me" turned to "when". When I'm out, we're going to do A, and B, and C. He'd started including me in his plans. Still hadn't asked me for a dime. He's ambitious, not just about his future, but about getting something out of his time in, learning a trade, reading books, looking up words in the Dictionary.

The phones changed to Securus, and went to 5 cents a minute. Now he calls every day. But he still fusses if I get greedy and say "call right back" too much.

He had cards made for my daughters, they had Minions on them. When my 8 year old said "I'm too old for Minions" he said 'well, what do you like'? Both my girls tried to out-shout each other telling him what they wanted. Those he made himself in trade school, a phoenix and a unicorn, LOL. They sent him cards back, of course. They adore him because he takes the time to talk and listen, not every adult does that with kids.

One day a couple months ago I slipped and said "I love you" at the end of our talk. He said "love you too". I asked him the next day - that made you nervous, didn't it? "Little bit", he replied. Now? He won't let me off the phone unless he's gotten I love you.

When spring came, I opened a letter and six tiny pink flowers popped out. He'd found them in the school yard and pressed them.

A couple weeks ago his momma sent him a summer food package, and he was telling me everything in it. I asked him if there was anything else he was needing, because I'd send him a package if there was. His reply was, "well, if I did need anything like that I wouldn't tell you. You do more than enough just putting money on the phone."

All that to say - yes, I agree, you can feel the consistency and effort put in when MWI means it. You should expect to be treated like its any relationship on the outside, he wants you to feel special and he'll do it with whatever means he has available. It doesn't have to be fast, and shouldn't be forced. It just feels natural.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobette37 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:43 AM

I'd say the way I met my mwi makes it much easier to know he's genuine. I don't know how to link it but I put the story in the introductions thread. Basically I moved in with a family and then was asked to write to their son because he needed a friend. That's it. Zero expectations. In his first message he actually told me to not feel like I have to write because his mom asked, but to only write if *I* want to.

He's done little things like calling me immediately if I need him (his block has the phones in their rooms) and surprising me with a birthday card. I also recently found out that when we first started talking he was constantly asking his mom what I was doing hahaha. To be fair, we've only been talking for 3.5 months and haven't even exchanged "I love you"s, but I know he's completely genuine. Plus, I can verify everything since I'm still living with his family (they're great!). Ha.

Last edited by reg8; 07-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Fat fingers
The Following User Says Thank You to reg8 For This Useful Post:
ILLINOIS.PAL (07-15-2019)