Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

View Poll Results: Do you think we*d is the gateway drug?
YES 44 27.50%
NO 116 72.50%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,287 Times in 607 Posts

For some people I believe it can be,, but I dont think it is for everyone
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 06:47 PM

It can be. My son says his "drug of choice" is marijuana. He has been clean and sober from tobacco, alcohol, and all drugs now for over 2 years, served one year in prison for armed robbery, and is now in county work release. He also used prescription pills, and 1 month before arrest had started cocaine. In NA in prison, some of them dogged him about saying he was addicted to marijuana, but he just told them that that is his truth. Many guys in prison would say they were never going to use drugs again, only weed (they didn't think of weed as a drug.)They were not willing to give up weed or beer-which shows they were addicted. And they were the ones coming back over and over.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,642 Times in 673 Posts

I just found and read this thread and I have to tell you my personal experience is sort of on both sides of the fence. When I started doing drugs my first drug experience was LSD and Alcohol. Didn't really start smoking pot until much later on. That was during the late 60's and early 70's. Since that time various times to remain clean failed because of pot and the idea if I just smoked pot I'd be ok. The thing I finally realized is that pot was the "gateway" to relapse.

I've been drug and alcohol free now for 22 years with one two day relapse about 12 years ago. That brief relapse was a result of ... you guessed it, smoking pot. These days the idea of getting high in any fashion is not only unappealing but down right disturbing to think about. I know that I will carry sobriety to the grave with me, and I find nothing wrong with that.

I am one of those people who would never consider smoking pot again, and I think it's greatest evil is apathy which leads to not only relapse but the inability to exceed in life. Yet, I support its legalization.
The Following User Says Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (08-10-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 PM

In my opinion you choose to do other drugs cause u want too.... I use to smoke green all day everyday but I have never in life tried anything else.. Every time I got pregnant I could stop smoking green but could never stop smoking cigarettes.... My husband also use to smoke green and it has never lead to harder drugs... so I would have to disagree with everyone who said they think it is a gateway drug...
Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 AM

I really don't know the answer to this. I use to smoke weed during my college years but it never lead me to want to try other drugs. However, some people are different. I think just depends on the individual. I have seen how it can be a gateway drugs to other people, my ex included. He said his favorite choice of drugs was weed too and that is all. He led me to beleive that he didn't like any other drugs and he didn't drink. Once he stepped out of those walls, I soon realize he likes other drugs, coke, crank, pills and drinks like darn fish!

Last edited by Maya2007; 01-15-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM

I think it's wrong that we accept it as a fact that a "gateway drug," even exists or is an actual thing. It's very hard to explain it to those who have heard the term their entire lives. But I really don't believe there is such a thing as a gateway drug, because if there were, then it would be a general rule and that is not the case with marijuana or any other drug. It's just a way of criminalizing it and getting people to support prohibition.

The Following User Says Thank You to BadGrlGoneGood For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 12:40 PM

I think it depends on the person. Me personally?
I never smoked weed and thought "Hey! I'm going to go try Meth today! (Meth was just as example of a hardcore drug)

Weed is the only drug I have tried and never had any desire to try anything harder.

However, I've met some where their story of drug addiction all began with weed.
It depends on the person and how high the tolerance of their addictive personality is.

Every man needs a good woman when his life's a mess, 'cause just like in a game of chess, the QUEEN always protects her KING! <3

The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected!

Faith--it doesn't make things easier, it makes them possible! Luke 1:37
Old 08-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

There has been some medical research that debunks marijuana as a gateway drug.

Just because one thing happens before the other doesn't mean the first thing caused the second thing.

We might also say high school is a gateway drug since almost 99.99% of those who become addicted to drugs in the U.S. attended high school
Old 01-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Default Adderal is the new gateway Drug

It starts at age 10. College Students abuse it like Jelly Beans.
They smoke and drink to come off the high ad ease into normalcy.

Adderal is the devil
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM

I think refined sugar is the #1 gateway drug.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Donation Award 

No I don't think weed is a gateway drug, if your going to try something harder its because you made that choice already knowing the consequences!

For he Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."
Old 05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,944 Times in 11,659 Posts

I heard one prison drug counselor claim it is coffee; psychobabble in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 PM
B &amp; A Forever and Always

I don't really agree that there is a 'gateway' drug, but I do agree with a few other posters who said that it depends on the person. My personal opinion is that there are events that occur in people's lives that affect their desire to try different drugs.

01.15.2012-Forever
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM

I think it is. It's all a matter of perspective, though. People as others have said, are all different. Some people don't get addicted to cigarettes. Some people DO get addicted to Marijuana. Once that wears off... they try something new.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Default weed@alcohol are organic to body n mind at least

.We been drinking for 10,000 years or more. Likewise using plants to get high. But synthetic chemical extractions like hard drugs are another matter entirely because not natural to our bodies . White sugar or extracted sugar like corn syrup is another synthetic extraction that creates obesity real quick and rots yer teeth.
There is nothing gateway about substances the body can recognise and therefore assimulate. Becoming an alcoholic or hard drug user is a pre-disposition for harmful addiction so dont blame it on plants or alcohol. Addiction can be traced to childhood problems with parents or caused by enviroment or its genetic. Meanwhile millions of people smoke weed and drink and out-number addicts with problems .They have done so for centuries without the world falling apart.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 PM

My son was drinking and smoking pot to relax and had a psychotic break and that is why he is in prison today. He also had bi polar disorder that he was unaware of ,so while drinking and smoking pot are fine for some for others it can be deadly. He never did any of the hard drugs. I also smoked and drank when I was younger and had no problems but its like playing Russian roulette.I wouldn't recommend it to any one because you never know.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:31 AM

It depends really on the person. If a person is a heavy smoker and tried a weed, there is a tendency that the person's body develop an resistance on the substance then try some hard drugs. But not all smoking weed get to become addicts. Marijuana can be a medicine for some people, so that's it for me
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 PM

Speaking from personal experience I don't think so. I know I myself would never touch anything that hasn't come directly from mother earth herself. I have no issues with coca leaves they serve great medicinal purposes however I would never condone the use of cocaine because it's laced with disgusting chemicals.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:36 PM

Without reading the entire thread, no, weed is absolutely not a gateway drug.

I think the reason many people might see it as a gateway drug is because of the ease of obtaining it/availability, even when you're young. Since it is the first illicit substance many people try, there's this post hoc fallacy that it is a "gateway" drug to the other substances that might not yet be available to you.

I'd be slightly inclined to disagree that alcohol is a gateway drug, either, because I don't think it is truly a gateway drug to all other drugs. However, alcohol was definitely a gateway drug for many people I know that are addicted to benzos like Xanax, Valium, etc.

I have yet to see one person make a legitimate case why marijuana should be illegal or considered any worse than alcohol. It is truly funny when you step back and look at all the deaths that alcohol has caused, that there are politicians who regularly drink alcohol that attempt to keep marijuana an illegal substance.

Imagine if we legalized all drugs...or at least decriminalized them to the point that there were only fines and other insignificant penalties. Portugal is seeing some great results from a similar type of strategy.

As many experts have noted, even if we legalized just marijuana use here in the US, it would help both Mexico and us by crippling the cartels. Not to mention all the tax money it would generate, plus saving an exorbitant amount of taxpayer money currently being used to store many of our loved ones in jail and prison. I'm sure someone here knows the exact stat, but isn't something like 40-50% of people currently in jail and prison due to charges stemming from illicit drugs?

I got slightly off-topic, but the order of my drug use (which does not imply any was a gateway to the next) went like this:

1. Alcohol/Tobacco
2. Vicodin/Norco (both hydrocodone formulations)
3. Coke
4. Roxicet (oxycodone)
5. Weed
6. MDMA
7. LSD
8. Peyote/hallucinogens/everything else there is to possibly try

I was addicted to #2 before I even tried weed, not that my personal account has any bearing on the facts but just wanted to mention it.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:20 PM
Reformed Ex-Felon

Whether or not Cannabis is a "gateway drug" would depend primarily on the person. For some people, I think it is a gateway drug, but for others, it isn't. In my personal opinion, it's definitely a motivation inhibitor. I have known many, many potheads in my life and the one thing they all seem to have in common is a general lack of ambition. Getting these people excited about a career, a hobby, or pretty much anything else is a real challenge. My sister's husband, for instance, began smoking pot a few years ago, now he can't even keep a job because all he wants to do is sit around the house and get high.

I'm sure some people have valid reasons for smoking marijuana (like glaucoma, etc) but I personally can't stand that stuff and see no real good in smoking it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jameyson1972 For This Useful Post:
Lordbew/us (02-28-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 03:40 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Nope, I believe alcohol and tobacco are... IF you are already 'wired' to be an addict.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
Old 09-06-2017, 12:01 AM
Banned

It is a gateway drug that leads to health.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Banned

There is no such thing as a gateway drug. Yes alcohol cab be the gateway but not for every human that tries it
Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 PM
Banned

I think one of the reasons marijuana is more of a gateway is that people are more likely to be exposed to other illegal drugs.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 AM

No. Tobacco has always been the gateway drug. I've never met a drug dealer that didn't smoke cigarettes. Except for the rare few that only smoked marijuana.

Problem is the government gets billions in taxes from tobacco companies. So they're not going to throw their revenue stream under the bus. At least not right now (times are changing).