Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > World Prison News
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

World Prison News Post info (IF it doesn't belong in another PTO forum) about the prison system, prisoner support, criminal justice, etc., that you learn firsthand, through the media, from an inmate, or any other source. News can be local, state, Federal, or int'l.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:10 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,374 Times in 14,492 Posts

I believe whether or not to do background checks on housing applicants should be up to the landlord. From the article:

Quote:
Rachel Goodman, staff attorney with the ACLU Racial Justice Program, told Newsweek that there are a couple of thousand programs similar to Savannah's all around the U.S.“We are particularly concerned about Crime Free Housing Program where municipalities instruct private landlords to perform criminal history screening,” she said.

Ya'll bickering one side of a two-sided coin.

If the landlord has the right to conduct criminal background checks, s/he should also have the right Not to conduct background checks. If our private landlord was ordered by the city/county to run a background check and deny housing based on that background check, My Mr & I would be out in the cold. We're both convicted felons.

EDIT: And for the life of me I just don't understand some of the comments I've read here in this thread I had to go back and read our Community Purpose:

Quote:
PTO Community Purpose
The purpose of the Prison Talk Online community is Prisoner & Family Support, Information and Assistance.
While we encourage interest from people with a range of viewpoints seeking to learn more, anything beyond a genuine, friendly dialog is not welcome.

People who are (or were) involved with the Prison System find that they encounter a wide range of difficulties and challenges.
PTO was founded as a forum to help family members cope with these experiences; through the provision of non-judgmental support and the sharing of information.

PTO is not the place to debate whether or not anyone should be in prison, should prisoners and their families have rights or what kind of punishments should be meted out to the guilty.

We look forward to seeing you posting in the forums and hope that we can help you with any issues that you may be experiencing.

Last edited by patchouli; 02-13-2018 at 03:18 PM..
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-13-2018), choclgs (02-14-2018), fbopnomore (02-13-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (02-13-2018), GaReform (02-14-2018), LifeTraveler (02-14-2018), Nickel Timer (02-14-2018), nimuay (02-14-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018), tatonkawia (02-17-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,251 Posts

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
i believe whether or not to do background checks on housing applicants should be up to the landlord. From the article:

ya'll bickering one side of a two-sided coin.

If the landlord has the right to conduct criminal background checks, s/he should also have the right not to conduct background checks. If our private landlord was ordered by the city/county to run a background check and deny housing based on that background check, my mr & i would be out in the cold. We're both convicted felons.

edit: And for the life of me i just don't understand some of the comments i've read here in this thread I had to go back and read our community purpose:

Fridyrr.Likn (02-14-2018), patchouli (02-14-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Your not born a convicted FELON that's a choice you make when you break the law.
What if your wrongfully convicted?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:49 PM

I believe once a person serves prison time they should get all their rights back and not be considered a 2nd class citizen.We wonder why recidivism so high,yes people make mistakes but a felon shouldn't be a life sentence.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to someguyfrommars For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-18-2018), choclgs (02-18-2018), fbopnomore (02-17-2018), Nickel Timer (02-18-2018), nimuay (02-18-2018), patchouli (02-17-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:24 PM

Thanked 5,373 Times in 2,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyfrommars View Post
What if your wrongfully convicted?
Get your record expunged!!!!! I'm not saying all felons or all landlords or all of anything. I just feel if a landlord wants he should be able to run a background check!!! This particular program I believe in order to get a tax break the landlords agree to adhere to the requirements which are doing back ground checks and not allowing felons, or something along those lines. I think anyone who owns a property should have the right to exclude who ever they want!!! For whatever reason they want. As long as the government is not footing the bill then they should be able to rent to gold fish!!!
Old 02-17-2018, 05:58 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,374 Times in 14,492 Posts

Quote:
This particular program I believe in order to get a tax break the landlords agree to adhere to the requirements which are doing back ground checks and not allowing felons, or something along those lines.
Well that's bass ackwards Employers who hire felons get a tax break FOR hiring felons. There is no specific landlord tax break for NOT hiring felons that I can find.

Quote:
I think anyone who owns a property should have the right to exclude who ever they want!!! For whatever reason they want.
What if I, as a landlord, wanted to exclude all females, or everyone with no college, or all Republicans Is that ok? Can I get a tax credit for excluding them? How about excluding everyone except those that looked like me, thought like me, believed like me, worshiped like me? Is that ok? Can I get that tax credit?

Discrimination is Discrimination.

Just something to ponder

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
AndyS (02-17-2018), choclgs (02-18-2018), nimuay (02-18-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanked 2,547 Times in 897 Posts

Quote:
Get your record expunged!!!!! I'm not saying all felons or all landlords or all of anything. I just feel if a landlord wants he should be able to run a background check!!! This particular program I believe in order to get a tax break the landlords agree to adhere to the requirements which are doing back ground checks and not allowing felons, or something along those lines. I think anyone who owns a property should have the right to exclude who ever they want!!! For whatever reason they want. As long as the government is not footing the bill then they should be able to rent to gold fish!!!
I don’t see anywhere is the article posted where landlords get tax breaks by doing background checks on prospective tenants. Did you read that somewhere else? Please post the link. I’d like to read it.

Just because the government isn’t involved doesn’t mean you can be discriminatory, which is what your post suggests.

HUDs position is it unfairly targets people of color.

In 2016, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) released a guidance informing landlords that refusing renters with criminal records could violate the Fair Housing Act.

"When landlords refuse to rent to anyone who has an arrest record, they effectively bar the door to millions of folks of color for no good reason," former HUD Secretary Julián Castro told NPR in 2016.

I guess I’m not understanding why you have such a strong opposition to this because 1. You were charged with a felony, whether you were convicted or not and 2. Your husband was in prison. You seem very judgemental when you are (were) right in the same place. I just don’t get it.

Again, where are they supposed to live?

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”

Last edited by AndyS; 02-17-2018 at 06:20 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
choclgs (02-18-2018), patchouli (02-17-2018), Sarianna (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,148 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
I had a conversation with an ex-felon who preached expungement. As I shared with them, it's great if you can but many here is SC can barely find jobs, minimum wage or otherwise because our local goverment won't ban the box. For others, trying to support themselves and/or family and paying expungement fees many cannot afford.

In South Carolina,

"You must pay a $250.00 administrative fee to the Solicitor’s office, a
$25.00 fee to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (“SLED”),
and $35.00 filing fee to the Clerk of Court. You pay the fees with
separate money orders when you apply to your Solicitor’s office.
There is no refund if the charge or conviction is not eligible for
expungement.

Certain charges are exempt from these fees. If there was not a plea
deal and the Solicitor dismissed or did not prosecute (“nol prossed”)
the charges, there are no fees for expungement. "

Many try and do their best with what they have.
AndyS (02-18-2018), fbopnomore (02-18-2018), Nickel Timer (02-18-2018), nimuay (02-18-2018), patchouli (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Thanked 1,296 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
I don’t know what the answer is but we need to do better.
I don't know either. But what AndyS said there could be my motto in life. It's true so often, about so many things ...

I wonder how much an insurance company would charge to cover landlords for whatever goes wrong if they rent to a tax cheat or a serial drunk driver. I wonder whether the insurance would be cheap enough for government to pay the premiums for the sake of steering people out of unstable post-prison lives. I wonder whether it would be the best use of money.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 AM

Default Review

Giving a free hand to the landlords for choosing their tenants is just the appropriate way, who would like to shelter a criminal under their roof.