Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Georgia.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 AM

Default Arrendale State Prison: Anyone else have a loved one there? New & need info

My girlfriend is incarcerated here for multiple DUI offenses. (HV status)

Does anyone else here have a loved one at this institution? She spent about 8 months in the County Jail bf being transferred to prison. She was given a straight 4 year sentence. The time spent in County Jail will count towards time served.

How much of this will she actually serve before becoming eligible for parole?

How likely is it she will be paroled when she becomes eligible?

I am new to all this and do not know what to expect.

Thank you--
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend,

I'm not able sure when your girlfriend will find out her PED, but the thing you're trying to find out is when her TPM will be set, what will the TPM be, and does she have a chance of early release by PIC points. The following Georgia Parole Board might help you better understand the parole process.

https://pap.georgia.gov/parole-consi...ity-guidelines

Based on the documents linked to that page I'm assuming she is a Level 1 offender which based on her risk assessment means she could serve between 15 and 26 months. This needs to be confirmed. Your girlfriend's consular can confirm help her determine her risk assessment. However, you need to be careful with this information. A number of a factors could cause her to serve longer, and the Parole Board is not bound by their decision guidelines. They can set parole conditions like RSAT and others that could delay her parole.

I write more later, but it might help to have a parole attorney help her put together application for parole.

Last edited by K6770; 01-05-2018 at 02:37 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to K6770 For This Useful Post:
LD1965 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K6770 View Post
Sorry to hear about your girlfriend,

I'm not able sure when your girlfriend will find out her PED, but the thing you're trying to find out is when her TPM will be set, what will the TPM be, and does she have a chance of early release by PIC points. The following Georgia Parole Board might help you better understand the parole process.

Based on the documents linked to that page I'm assuming she is a Level 1 offender which based on her risk assessment means she could serve between 15 and 26 months. This needs to be confirmed. Your girlfriend's consular can confirm help her determine her risk assessment. However, you need to be careful with this information. A number of a factors could cause her to serve longer, and the Parole Board is not bound by their decision guidelines. They can set parole conditions like RSAT and others that could delay her parole.

I write more later, but it might help to have a parole attorney help her put together application for parole.
Thank you so much K6770. The information you provided was a huge help. Your response was most appreciated.

I thought you did not have to apply. Aren't most prisoners automatically eligible for parole after serving a portion of their sentence unless you are doing LWOP?

She is doing PIC I think--

Once a TPM has been set, is she likely to be released on that date?

Last edited by LD1965; 01-05-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Old 01-05-2018, 04:22 PM

Your girlfriend doesn’t need to complete a parole application, but it is the only opportunity she is going to have to explain to the Board how she has made charges during her incarceration so that she does not return.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:01 AM

Hi LD,
Sorry for all the typos, I'm in the middle of a lot at work. About the TPM (Tentative Parole Month) and the actual release date, she could be released anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after the TPM. The board has to complete a final review approving her release and then all the paper work has to be sent to GDC and local DCS office. A call from the local DCS office will get you a heads up that you are only weeks away from the release date.

Now about the TPM. Most inmates with longer sentences will not have a TPM set by the board until after their PED (Parole Eligibility Date). Most parole eligible Inmates have their PED set on or before 1/3 of their max time to serve. Getting released on your PED is possible, but difficult unless PIC (Performance Incentive Credit) points are applied by the Board. An inmate gets PIC points through having a closed case plain, completed classes, work detail (job) performance and maybe other things that I have forgotten. In theory each PIC point takes off a month of time, but Board does not have to apply the points, sometimes they do and sometimes not. I believe an inmate has to be serving a sentence longer than 3 years to be eligible for PIC points.

In addition to finding out about the TPM, you want to also be trying to find if there is a way your girlfriend can get into a TC (Transition Center). This is a work release program and it would let her have an outside job as well make visiting and other things much easier. Please confirm, but I believe there are two paths to a TC, an inmate applying through the GDC and having the Board recommend time in a TC as a condition of parole. One benefit of completing a parole application is that she can request the Board that they recommend going to a TC.

I don't know how the Board views your girlfriend's offense, but don't depend on the rurmor mill in Arrendale or any facility. Outside of your girlfriend's counselor, don't even trust staff as knowing anything about when she will get out. Feel free to message me.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 AM

One more thing LD, if you don't have a parole attorney, it makes a lot of sense to go to one of the GDC/GPB Family Days. You have to be on your girlfriend's visiter list to attend, but it will let you talk to people who can give you a better idea how the Board is going to approach your loved ones case.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 PM

Thanked 1,430 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
One more thing LD, if you don't have a parole attorney, it makes a lot of sense to go to one of the GDC/GPB Family Days. You have to be on your girlfriend's visiter list to attend, but it will let you talk to people who can give you a better idea how the Board is going to approach your loved ones case.
Most of the Family Days don't have a lot of help with parole for some reason. It's a topic that many families want help with so you'd think they'd have people there to answer questions. The National Incarceration Association advocacy group has a parole guide that helps you understand the process & how to make a parole plan. You might reach out to them https://joinnia.com/
Old 01-16-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Hi LD,
Sorry for all the typos, I'm in the middle of a lot at work. About the TPM (Tentative Parole Month) and the actual release date, she could be released anywhere from a few days to a few weeks after the TPM. The board has to complete a final review approving her release and then all the paper work has to be sent to GDC and local DCS office. A call from the local DCS office will get you a heads up that you are only weeks away from the release date.

Now about the TPM. Most inmates with longer sentences will not have a TPM set by the board until after their PED (Parole Eligibility Date). Most parole eligible Inmates have their PED set on or before 1/3 of their max time to serve. Getting released on your PED is possible, but difficult unless PIC (Performance Incentive Credit) points are applied by the Board. An inmate gets PIC points through having a closed case plain, completed classes, work detail (job) performance and maybe other things that I have forgotten. In theory each PIC point takes off a month of time, but Board does not have to apply the points, sometimes they do and sometimes not. I believe an inmate has to be serving a sentence longer than 3 years to be eligible for PIC points.

In addition to finding out about the TPM, you want to also be trying to find if there is a way your girlfriend can get into a TC (Transition Center). This is a work release program and it would let her have an outside job as well make visiting and other things much easier. Please confirm, but I believe there are two paths to a TC, an inmate applying through the GDC and having the Board recommend time in a TC as a condition of parole. One benefit of completing a parole application is that she can request the Board that they recommend going to a TC.

I don't know how the Board views your girlfriend's offense, but don't depend on the rurmor mill in Arrendale or any facility. Outside of your girlfriend's counselor, don't even trust staff as knowing anything about when she will get out. Feel free to message me.
What exactly is a TC or transitional center? Is she still locked up but let out to work 8 hours per day somewhere? Do they earn money? IOW, are they paid min wage for the work they do? If yes, what happens to the money they earn?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 PM

Hi LD,
You can start to find out about TC's here.

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/Division...s/Transitional

My loved one didn't end up in TC, but there are others here that might be able to chime in and give you more information.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:29 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaReform View Post
Most of the Family Days don't have a lot of help with parole for some reason. It's a topic that many families want help with so you'd think they'd have people there to answer questions. The National Incarceration Association advocacy group has a parole guide that helps you understand the process & how to make a parole plan. You might reach out to them
Thanks GaReform!