Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Virginia should be posted here.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Default Need info/advice on procedure and options after release

So, bf still has 3 years to go, but the more he hears from other inmates about probation and release the more worried he is getting about his release in 3 years.
The issue is that he is pretty much completely estranged from his entire family.
Before he went to jail he did not live with me and I preferred this. He was not in a good place in his life and I needed to keep my boundaries very clear.
So of course he wants to come live with me after his release. And I have told him I can make no promises at this time.
He is convinced that the half way houses are horrible, that he won't be able to pay his bills (apparently he has to pay for his drug testing for probation?).
The other issue is logistics: I live in a very rural part of central Virginia. He will not have his drivers license or a car. I've tried explaining to him that he needs to be in a city after his release-more job options more resources and public transportation etc.
He's scared and I can totally understand that.
How do I go about getting more info for release programs? I'm sure some of the info his fellow inmates are passing along to him are accurate and some are just whisper down the lane type stuff.
Any info and/or advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 PM

What area in central Virginia will he be released to? There is a program called VaCares, which has grown and spread to different regions in the state. I believe they were the first recognized program, but they can only do so much. I can't post the URL because I have not posted enough on this thread. But Google "vacares" and on their homepage there is a link for "site listings."

I do not know enough about different probation types, but I was just this week released from supervision, about a year and a half early. I did not once pay for a drug test nor for any supervision. I was on supervision with community corrections for a misdemeanor, several years ago, and I had to pay for supervision then, but that wasn't state probation. But it might be different where you guys are. You could always all the probation/parole office and find out.

It does sound like the domestic situation could be quite a strain on you guys. I encourage being supportive, but also respecting your boundaries. Like your bf, I had gotten bad wind of the quality of the various Oxford Houses in the area. I wanted a sober place to live and one of them had just been raided. I guess any place that's not supervised is going to run the risk of ex cons continuing to run their schemes. I kinda threw a guilt trip at my mom (sad, I know) and she let me move back home, upon my release. She lived in a rural part of Virginia, but luckily she had a vehicle I could use. My commute to and from work was about fifty minutes each day, one day, seven days a week for a while. We moved back to town, but had I not had a vehicle and my license, I'd have been screwed with the lack of job market in the area.

Remember, Vacares and check their site. At bare minimum, you can call an office near your area and they may be able to better direct you. Sorry this isn't too much help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karma78 For This Useful Post:
breathing_beau (06-13-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 6,456 Times in 3,301 Posts

Here is the thing, there aren't that many half way houses in VA and with the economy many of the other avenues have gone. As far as the halfway houses, here is how it goes...he will go to whatever halfway house has room. From my understanding there is one in Richmond that has takes many. A friend of my loved one just ended up there, despite that he is from Hampton Roads. He may/probably will not get out on the day he is supposed too. There are some church agencies etc. out there but as I said there aren't that many, so you will have to search for them.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the information. He will be released in the lynchburg area- possibly Charlottesville but his po's office is in Lynchburg.
Question: is it true that if he doesn't have a verified address ( home) to go to upon his release that his good time will be taken away? Meaning that he will have to do his original full time?
Thanks.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 6,456 Times in 3,301 Posts

Not sure if his whole good time, but they will hold them until they can find a place for him to go. Meaning, if he has to get into a halfway then they will keep him beyond his outdate.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onedaycloser13 View Post
Not sure if his whole good time, but they will hold them until they can find a place for him to go. Meaning, if he has to get into a halfway then they will keep him beyond his outdate.
Ah ok, good information to know. He mentioned something about it but I wanted to get it clarified. He will most likely be going into a halfway house. I guess there is nothing I can do at this point (his release date right now is 5/4/14) but as the time draws nearer I may start doing my own research to see what halfway houses are available in the Lynchburg area. There is a VACares program there, so hopefully he would go there and not have to wait too long for an opening. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the info.