Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, community service, half-way houses, and ex-offender employment in Michigan should be posted here.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:31 PM

Default Parole Violation - advice needed please!

Hey everyone- just a quick intro. My fiance was charged back in 2001 with GBH less murder, along with attempted kidnapping, and was sentenced to 5-15 years. To make a long story short, him and two of his buddies (he was 18 at the time) were at a party and ran into a guy that owed one of his buddies money for rims. They ended up beating the guy up and then when the guy said I know where your money is, take me there, they did, and that's where the kidnapping charge came in. (The guy was 17- they were all 18).

He did 5 years and was released in 2006. Because of the attempted kidnapping charge, he has to sign the sex offender registry, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. In October 2007, he moved, and changed his address a few days late. They charged him with another felony, and he went back to prison for almost 2 years. He was released in July 2009.

This brings us to now....apparantly, with the sex offender registry, you must verify your address quarterly. We moved in June, so he was up there June 15 (the day after we moved) to change his address. The sargeant up there told him that he'd see him back in October and not to worry about coming back in two weeks to verify because they would take it as he was just two weeks early. I knew nothing about this until he went to his regulary scheluled check-in with his PO on July 20th (they have from the 1st-15th each quarter to verify) and she asked him why he was non-compliant on the list. He told her he didn't know and went right to the sheriff's office to verify. They let him and told him everthing was cool, not a big deal, he was 5 days late, whoopee.

WELLL....yeah right. His PO called the next day and said they had a warrant for his arrest for a supposed Parole Violation for verifying 5 days late. So he turned himself in July 27th, sat in county until Wednesday (August 11th), when he was moved to Jackson. His PO and her boss are both reccomending leniency and that his parole be reinstated and that the only reason it made it as far as it did is because it's state mandatated, ect. In her report she is specifically saying that if it were up to her, she would have NEVER violated him because as soon as he realized there was a problem, he went to fix it right away, he's been a model parolee, never dropped dirty, always came for scheduled appointments, did all of his counselling, ect.

So, I'm just curious if anyone has ever had or been in a similar situation?? What are the possible outcomes of all this?? Is it possible that whatever PB member he sees will take his PO's letter into consideration and reinstate his parole, or is it pretty much a given that he'll get SOMETHING, whether it be 30 days or 6 months??

thank you all in advance, I'm just completely at a loss.

Last edited by katiebird710; 08-14-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2010, 06:50 AM

Katie we are going thru a similiar situation right now. His story is a few posts down from yours (called parole violation :-(). There is no concrete answer for you. It's up to the parole board now. He will have a revocation hearing & then will have to wait for a decision. Today is 25 business days (35 regular) for us waiting for a decision. The pb can choose to do several things. Yes, they could reinstate his parole, they could order him to go to a program like (Idrp), they could say he has to serve 6 months & then repraole, they could. Give him a continuance (flop) for 12 mos, 18 mos, well any number of months they want up to his max date. So far some of the people my guy has bunked with..one waited nearly 70 days for a decision & he ended up with a 6 mo stay & then reparole for 24 months. Another guy got an 18 month continuance. Both of these people were in on parole violations. So, back to the same old prison mantra..expect the worse but hope for the best.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Thank you so much for your reply, you have no idea how much it means to me! This process (as I'm sure you know!) is one of the most stressful, awful things to ever have to go through.

I got a letter from him today; he arrived at Jackson last Wednesday, and saw the parole board lady on Friday morning (talk about speedy!). She said that she was going to reccomend his parole be re-instated as well, but that still wasn't a guarentee. She told him that 85-90% of the time they do what she reccomends, but there's still a slim chance he could do some time. So now it's back to the waiting game I guess....we'll see. I'm crossing my fingers and thinking good thoughts for your guy as well! Thank you again!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:16 PM
we are FREE xoxox
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebird710 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, you have no idea how much it means to me! This process (as I'm sure you know!) is one of the most stressful, awful things to ever have to go through.

I got a letter from him today; he arrived at Jackson last Wednesday, and saw the parole board lady on Friday morning (talk about speedy!). She said that she was going to reccomend his parole be re-instated as well, but that still wasn't a guarentee. She told him that 85-90% of the time they do what she reccomends, but there's still a slim chance he could do some time. So now it's back to the waiting game I guess....we'll see. I'm crossing my fingers and thinking good thoughts for your guy as well! Thank you again!

There will be a hearing about his violation. If he could have a statement from the officer saying he said it was fine, that'd be great. Or if you witnessed it and write a statement that would be great.

The PO's are probably pushing violations through because its Politics time (and most likely a republican will take over and that is Pro Prison time politics)

But your PO is right MOST of the time they go according to the PO's recommendation.

There is NO time frame for you guys...we were in jail a month in RGC a month before the hearing, found out a 15 days later that we had a flop. He can get a job at RGC and you can visit if he maintains a prison job..good luck! keep us up to date.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:38 PM

Thank you so much for the insight, iluvcharles!! I guess I was jumping the gun a little but I was assuming that his "meeting" at RGC with one of the board members was his hearing? Or no? I have no idea how any of this works! In any case, the board member lady told him that she too was reccomending a reparole and that he'd have a desicion within 30 days.

When this first happened, the officer that told him he didn't have to come back was conveniently on a leave of absence. And I wasn't with him then so I didn't really consider myself a witness.

Assuming that he has already gone in front of the board and that his "hearing" was on the 13th, is it too late now to send recomendation letters to the parole board?

I'm so sorry to hear that your guy got a flop. This whole thing freaking stinks!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:09 PM
we are FREE xoxox
Donation Award 

There's a couple steps that could have happened...there is One woman in charge of the Parole Revocation board and she is not a member, but probably referenced as one (she doesnt give paroles, just takes them) So he definitely could have seen her and I would assume that the swiftness was because of the recommendation of his PO. (and also the luming budget crisis that happens every time this time of year)

Keep us in the loop!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:53 PM

Thanks once again for the info, ILC!! It is greatly appreciated! :-)

I FINALLY (after 2 LONGGGG WEEKS!) got a call from him tonight! he said he just got his PIN today. He sounded really good. He said that the meeting with the parole board lady went AWESOME - she told him that his letter of reccomendation from his parole officer was one of the best she's ever read - they are both reccomending reparole, but now it's just a waiting game. He also said that on average, from what he's seen, it's been taking guys appx. 25 days or so to get their desicions either way.

Edited to add that he was also classified today and told them he would do whatever kind of a job they needed or could give him, so hopefully that will work out as well.

Last edited by katiebird710; 08-26-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM
No BULLSHIT member

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,761 Times in 3,566 Posts

When he gets back out PLEASE tell him that he has to follow the parole orders to the letter even if someone else who seems to be in a position of authority tells him he doesn't have to. By state law those on the registry MUST verify their address quarterly, AND it must be within the first two weeks of January, April, July, and October. That is specifically what the state law says, and no one, including the sheriff can change that just as a matter of convenience.

It seriously sucks that this happened this way. The best way to have a successful parole is to live and acts as if your PO is sitting on your shoulder 24 hours a day. If someone tells you that you can do something outside the limits of the parole conditions, even if it IS the sheriff, ask for it in writing, then verify it with the PO. If they won't give it in writing, get the name and badge number time and date and what was said and write it down.

The extra hassle, no matter what it is, is better than going back to prison.

One last note, ANY deviation from the parole order, on those that allow deviation, MUST be approved by the PO in writing.
jlzkmm (08-29-2010), mrsphyl (08-30-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Just a little update...

after a very long month (which I know is nothing because so many have been waiting longer!) for me, we finally got word this morning that a desicion has been made and he will receive it within 14 days. His mom has been calling appx two times a week to find out, and they finally told her today!! Obviously they can't tell us what the desicion is, but to know that there is one and it just has to be mailed makes me feel so much better....like there is finally actually a light at the end of the tunnel!! Obviously I want him to come HOME, but even if he is sent to a program or whatever the case may be, at least we'll know what's going on. No more of this waiting crap.

Thanks again to all of you wonderful people that have helped me along the way, you have no idea how much it means to me!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Crossing my fingers that its fantastic news & that you get it quickly!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone- just a quick intro. My fiance was charged back in 2001 with GBH less murder, along with attempted kidnapping, and was sentenced to 5-15 years. To make a long story short, him and two of his buddies (he was 18 at the time) were at a party and ran into a guy that owed one of his buddies money for rims. They ended up beating the guy up and then when the guy said I know where your money is, take me there, they did, and that's where the kidnapping charge came in. (The guy was 17- they were all 18).

He did 5 years and was released in 2006. Because of the attempted kidnapping charge, he has to sign the sex offender registry, which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. In October 2007, he moved, and changed his address a few days late. They charged him with another felony, and he went back to prison for almost 2 years. He was released in July 2009.

This brings us to now....apparantly, with the sex offender registry, you must verify your address quarterly. We moved in June, so he was up there June 15 (the day after we moved) to change his address. The sargeant up there told him that he'd see him back in October and not to worry about coming back in two weeks to verify because they would take it as he was just two weeks early. I knew nothing about this until he went to his regulary scheluled check-in with his PO on July 20th (they have from the 1st-15th each quarter to verify) and she asked him why he was non-compliant on the list. He told her he didn't know and went right to the sheriff's office to verify. They let him and told him everthing was cool, not a big deal, he was 5 days late, whoopee.

WELLL....yeah right. His PO called the next day and said they had a warrant for his arrest for a supposed Parole Violation for verifying 5 days late. So he turned himself in July 27th, sat in county until Wednesday (August 11th), when he was moved to Jackson. His PO and her boss are both reccomending leniency and that his parole be reinstated and that the only reason it made it as far as it did is because it's state mandatated, ect. In her report she is specifically saying that if it were up to her, she would have NEVER violated him because as soon as he realized there was a problem, he went to fix it right away, he's been a model parolee, never dropped dirty, always came for scheduled appointments, did all of his counselling, ect.

So, I'm just curious if anyone has ever had or been in a similar situation?? What are the possible outcomes of all this?? Is it possible that whatever PB member he sees will take his PO's letter into consideration and reinstate his parole, or is it pretty much a given that he'll get SOMETHING, whether it be 30 days or 6 months??

thank you all in advance, I'm just completely at a loss.
I am sorry to hear this, I hope that everything works out for you guys. This is what I tell my cousin about not telling where you live. Your guy did the right thing and reported it many people are getting into trouble because of this. My cousin got out in July and was suppose to live with his brother well as soon as he got out he went to where his ex was and has been there ever since and it's like if you get caught you will go back. Just hang on hopefully things will get better soon, and you will know one way or the other.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 PM

His PO called me today to inform me that he got a parole and his out date is October 26th! We didn't have much time to talk, but she's coming out to the house on Thursday for a home check so I'll get more info then, but I'm wondering if he's going to have to be on parole for two more years or how that's going to work...

but just wanted to thank you all again for being so supportive and great through all of this!!
The Following User Says Thank You to katiebird710 For This Useful Post:
sssimlay (09-22-2010)
Old 09-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
His PO called me today to inform me that he got a parole and his out date is October 26th! We didn't have much time to talk, but she's coming out to the house on Thursday for a home check so I'll get more info then, but I'm wondering if he's going to have to be on parole for two more years or how that's going to work...

but just wanted to thank you all again for being so supportive and great through all of this!!
Congratulations on the good news. It's up to him now to keep his nose clean.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:

That's really great! I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing your good news. (I don't know anything about parole yet, with luck our turn will be next fall.)

RA
Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM

yay!! so pretty much 90 days from the time he turned himself in. I'm so happy you got an answer finally. I know the waiting part sucks. So happy for you guys!!
Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
we are FREE xoxox
Donation Award 

Quote:

His parole should pick up right where it left off with the same end date. Even though he was in custody he technically was still moving the clock on counting down being officially released from the Department.

Congratulations Katiebird, a huge victory indeed!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:02 PM

Congrats!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 AM

Thanks again everyone!! Can't even begin to describe how relieved I am...his PO just left the house for the home check and did confirm that he will have to be on parole for another two years from his release date, which is Oct. 26th (so he'll be on till 2012)...lovely...but on the bright side, he'll be home and back to his semi-normal life!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM

How far was he into his parole? I'm assuming when my guy gets out whether it be soon or a year from now he will also get abother 24 month parole. It kinda sucks. We had planned on getting married on a cruise next november. My fav number is 11 & we were looking forward to 11/11/11. Our bdays are both on the 11th (his 9/11, mine 10/11) & he is 11 months older than me. The 1st place we lived together the address added up to 11. Before all this he was supposed to be finished w parole 7/14/11. If he gets 2 more years parole then no leaving the state let alone the country. Ah well, a sunset cruise in november in michigan...a girl can dream right :-P
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM

He was released in July 2009, so if everything were to have gone smoothly, his parole would have ended in July 2011. So when he got violoated, he was almost 13 months in. His release date was 7/8, so just a few days before yours....crazy!!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM

anyone know how long they hold violaters in the county befor they decide what to do? my hubbys in only two weeks after being paroled cuz he droped a dirty urine and was driving they didnt catch him driving its only hear say and besides that he wasnt driving, he didnt argue that though cuz itll make matters worse
Old 09-26-2010, 09:23 PM

It all depends...I think the "standard" for PV's is that they are sent to Jackson to have a hearing with the board, and the board makes a desicion as to what happens from there.

My guy was in county for a little over 2 weeks, got moved to Jackson, had his hearing two days later, and then got a desicion back about 5 weeks after that. But, every situation is different, and if Jackson is overcrowded (which I hear it is...when isn't it?!) it may take a little while. They used to have a 40 day rule where they had to be seen in 40 days or they were to be released, but I don't think that applies anymore.

Last edited by katiebird710; 09-26-2010 at 09:24 PM..
Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 PM

It depends on what the p.o. decides. My guy sat in county for 19 days before he got moved back to rgc. He had a revocation hearing a few days after he was there. 2 1/2 mos later we r still waiting for a decision on what they are gonna do. He got moved from rgc after a few weeks to another facility. It sucks..but you just go back in the waiting game. The mdoc works on their own timeline. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:56 AM

Whooo hooo Katie! Have a great pick up 2day & an even better homecoming!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks so much! :-) Everything went very smoothly, thanks to Iluvcharles I found the place with no problems; got there around 7:45 and he came out at 5 after 8! So I didn't have to wait long at all. Now he's home and it feels like he never left. ;-)

I'm thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed that you get your desicion soon!