Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Registered

Default What is Allowed when you Surrender to Federal Prison

Seems their are many questions that continue to show up over and over. This is one of them. In an effort to help everyone figure out the answers I wll offer the following:

When surrendering , you can bring as much money as you feel comfortable with; however, if you have restitution or fines you may want to do a search on my name and investigate my information on the IFRP (Inmate Financial Responsibility Program).

If this is not an issue... you will be allowed to spend $290.00 /mnth for Commissary. Phones will be $69.00/mnth for 300 long distance minutes (does not count as part of the $290.00 commissary).
Rates are .23 cents/min long distance and .06 cents/min for local calls.
Stamps will be unlimited and do not count toward your $290.00/mnth commissary but will be limited to about 20 at a time).

As for items allowed at surrender, the only items you will be allowed to bring inside with you will be Empty presription bottles of your current medications (resucue inhalers if applicable are the only medication that is an exception to the NO MEDS RULE), A soft cover religous text, a religious medallion valued under $50.00(no stones), a plain wedding band (no stones), 1 pair of ear rings (simple studs or small hoops and again no stones) valued under $50.00, 1 pair of glasses and/or any dental appliances, a limited amount of legal papers that pertain to your case, and either a Money Order or cash for the commissary. Keep in mind some institutions are refusing to accept funds directly. You may want to contact your destination for their particular policy. All other items will be collected and mailed home.

Keep the Faith

Michael

"You have to go through the rain to get to the rainbow"

Last edited by TxRhino; 07-21-2006 at 11:27 AM..
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to TxRhino For This Useful Post:
Alamo43 (02-19-2010), annamluther (05-01-2008), AnnLaurel (03-30-2011), Arrivasaurus (11-08-2010), candy (07-07-2013), dogmeat (08-11-2009), downeskgm (02-23-2011), FEDhead (12-10-2008), GrandmaSue (01-25-2009), inspector (03-16-2010), jbjb (09-10-2011), marielyn7 (02-03-2011), mattie_honey (03-15-2011), mlk226 (11-06-2009), mlkpeanuts (05-21-2012), motherdepressed (09-11-2013), norbit09 (03-27-2012), paradise_angel (05-02-2008), samuelsgrl (02-22-2010), texasboy (07-25-2009), thatrescuechick (01-17-2012), Trishhoffman85 (09-06-2016), vicm23 (03-30-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2006, 08:20 PM

Default Medical Devices

I use a CPAP. Can't breathe at night without it. Am I allowed to bring it? If so, what kind of medical permission process is required? It's noted in my PSI, but do I need something more?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:34 PM

BLD, I don't yet know the answer regarding that device and I'm researching the BOP Policy Statements.

R&D is not going to read through your PSR when you arrive. Have a letter from your prescribing physician on letterhead.

Source: Bureau of Justice Statistics

Old 05-20-2006, 08:49 PM

BLD, this is going to be covered in BOP Policy Statement 5580.06. The website is not allowing me access to that document tonight. TxRhino may know the answer.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

I do not believe you will be allowed to take your own CPAP inside; however, it may be possible for you to be issued one via medical. I just would not expect it to be immediately.

Keep the Faith

Michael

Old 05-29-2006, 08:32 PM

FEDERAL
hey i am 21 years old/male
i just signed a plea for 60 months. for posession of a firearm during a drug crime. ive done 5 months in a county jail as a federal prisoner. can you please email me (email address removed due to PTO Policies and Rules. please pm if you can assist.) i have some questions id like to ask you.

how much of my time will i do.?
can i get out 6 months early and go to a fed half way house? is that true?
what prison will i go to? what security level?
can you smoke ciggarettes there?
Old 06-25-2006, 03:51 PM

Default Shocked

We dropped my ex-husband off for self surrender on June 12. He is supposed to be in the camp but they don't have beds available so they stuck him in SHU at the low facility. There are 4 prisoners in a 2 man cell and he's sleeping on the floor. Why they can't stick him on the floor in the camp, I don't know. They didn't let him take his glasses. He had his contacts in but didn't get solution until after 3 days. He took a list of contacts with him and they even took that away. How do they expect them to send visitation forms if they have no addresses? Maybe he should have written the stuff on his arm or something? He took a money order in with him for commisary but I found out that it takes a couple weeks for it to be posted to his account. I think the fastest way to get money in their account is through Western Union Quick Collect. He still has not been able to call me. I've gotten a couple letters and they've been telling him for a week that he will probably be able to make a phone call "tomorrow". Tomorrow hasn't come. There's not enough info on how anything works and if you call the prison they are far from helpful. I've called 20 times in one day before getting an answer and each question that I ask gets me the answer, "You would have to get that information from the inmate". Yeah, that helps me sooo much!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mishy For This Useful Post:
marshagarsha (09-17-2008)
Old 07-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Marcus30

I am sorry to hear of your situation. I just got out from FCI Term Island. I had similar experiences. I dont want to share any because they may scare you and I dont want to do that. My situation is unique. There isnt any room in jails and prisons. When I say NO ROOM, I mean that they sleep on cots in the hallways in FTC Oklahoma City. They will shove him anywhere. I had a friend who slept on a mat underneath a bed in a cell. They can treat people in prison worse than stray animals in my opinion. I had 4 surgeries while inside, cuffed to the operating table on each one. When I say these people are savages, I mean it. Anyway, you can have your attorney inquire. Sometimes they shake a little when the law gets involved. He should be allowed to make phone calls during recreation time. You might want to call the institution and ask what is the policy on phone calls. Some places use collect calls, calling cards, or other ways. I saw 5 county jails and 3 fed prisons. He may be moved without you knowing. He wont even know until the day he is moved. If you have any questions ask away. God bless.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:41 AM

Most people self-surrendering nowadays are having their drugs replaced by BoP generics. Evidently too many people have had "other-than" what was supposed to be in the bottle... Stinks, but don't waste too much money as you won;t see your perscriptions again.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Dont Self Surrender. Geeze.

Freedom should be cherished. If you didnt harm anyone, why bow down to their laws? Let them drag you from where they find you, at least then you'll have some rep.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Registered

Kruniac,

Obviously, you are young and inexperienced in life. With age comes wisdom. Your concept of "rep" only proves my point. Not showing up at the appointerd place for "Self Surrender" is the surest way to not only get you more time inside, but potentially move a person to a higher security facility. I think most folks facing Federal Time, would prefer to do their time as painlessly as possible and go home to their families and loved ones. Making the Fed's "drag you from where they find you" is not only a Goofy Concept, it punishes no one except the person who practices this kind of thinking. Not showing will not get you your "Cherished Freedom", it will steal it from you because they will find you and when they do... standby.

Keep the Faith

Michael

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TxRhino For This Useful Post:
coolistergram (03-08-2011), MrsLadyTree (06-09-2013), norbit09 (12-26-2011), Screwup (06-10-2012)
Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 AM
CFW 18

I took my boyfriend to surrender on Wednesday. He was told when he called that he couldn't have anything valued over $50, and this included his glasses. He told them that they were worth $35 so that he could keep them. i think everyone knows that, save for dime store reading glasses, you don't find glasses under a couple hundred dollars. I think this rule is foolish on the part of the BOP. Inmates with poor vision running around blindly would most certainly interfere with the orderly running of the facility. Also Michael, I beg to differ with you on the matter of bringing in money. FCI Schuylkill did not allow my boyfriend to bring any money with him. I had to drive into town and send it via Western Union Quick Collect.

***CFW 18***

Proud to be a Girl Rasied In The South!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Registered

Teacher,

Thanks for the reminder on the money issue. The above was a copy of an old post and I have edited it to include your timely and helpful reminder on the money issue. Thanks.

Keep the Faith

Michael

Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 PM

Can inmates wear their contacts for seeing? Or do they need to have glasses? This would be @ Taft CI Thanks
Old 08-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Registered

Taft's rules may vary slightly as this is a privately run institution that is under contract with the BOP. I will check into this and see if I cannot find out an answer for you.

Keep the Faith

Michael

Old 10-11-2006, 06:20 AM

Default contacting family

I am scheduled to turn myself in within 30 days and do you know when I might be able to contact my wife to let her know how I am?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankredden
FEDERAL
hey i am 21 years old/male
i just signed a plea for 60 months. for posession of a firearm during a drug crime. ive done 5 months in a county jail as a federal prisoner. can you please email me (email address removed due to PTO Policies and Rules. please pm if you can assist.) i have some questions id like to ask you.

how much of my time will i do.?
can i get out 6 months early and go to a fed half way house? is that true?
what prison will i go to? what security level?
can you smoke ciggarettes there?
Boy LOT OF QUESTIONS.....

you will do atleast 85% of your time

half way house time really depends on what is recomended by your counsolor but unless you did a lot of time most dont get 6 mos

what prison your go to depends on many things , did your make a request at sentancing ??? usually the judge will try to accmodate

when I was in you could and they cost half what they did on the street I was released in 2000 I belive they have since stopped smoking

Joe
Old 10-23-2006, 09:11 AM

I just cam home from Coleman Camp in September. I Self Surrendered in April 2006 wearing contacts. I brought a 6 months supply with me with no problems whatsoever. I also brought a pair of cheap reaing glasses. Many of the ladies wore contacts.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:38 PM

I will be self - surrendering soon. Are you allowed to bring a watch with you? Thanks
Old 12-08-2006, 06:47 PM

At FPC Bryan we had to purchase our watch at the commissary so essentially everyone had the same "uniform". What facility are you going to? We can find someone there or who has recently been released that may be able to answer that for you.

If you plan to try, it should be a very basic Timex with a velcro band. If they will not allow you to keep it, they will simply mail it home with whatever you wear to the prison that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuminance
I will be self - surrendering soon. Are you allowed to bring a watch with you? Thanks

Old 12-14-2006, 04:42 PM

Hi. Thanks for replying. I am going to Alderson. And have NO clue what is going to happen. Thanks for your time.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 AM

Exclamation terre haute bound

any one know any body or any thing bout terre haute sattalite camp
Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Starting a new chapter

Default Leavenworth FPC / Hellish self-surrender

I took my fiance to self-surrender yesterday morning to start serving a 63 month sentence in the minimum security satellite camp for mail fraud, and I still can't stop shaking. We didn't know where to go except that the "intake" or whatever you call it would be at the main prison, not the satellite camp. So we just went in the main entrance, and ran across a guard who apparently LOVES his job! I was treated like filth that he had to throw out the door as fast as possible, he talked to my Dan like he was pond scum -- the last thing I heard from him as I was walking back out the door (in shock because of how abrupt and cruel it was) was the guard barking at Dan to "turn around and face the sign on the wall -- don't even look at her while she leaves."

I'm still in shock.

I don't know what's happening to him, and I can't stand it. He won't know until he's allowed to make a phone call whether I made it home safely or died in a ditch (it's about a six-hour drive from my home to Leavenworth), and that's going to make him insane.

Now after reading some of the posts, I don't know if he was allowed to keep the cash we were told he could take, or the $300 glasses he can't see three feet in front of his face without, or his contact list. We were told that anything he couldn't keep, he'd be allowed to give to me, and that I'd be able to ask at least a couple of very simple questions, and at the very least we'd be treated like human beings... my god, I wasn't expecting anything happy or pleasant, but I NEVER expected anything like what we got... IS it just because we went through the wrong door, or is it always like that?

Can anyone tell me anything at all about what will happen? I'm so frightened I can't function, and I really feel like I'm losing my mind, going from zero to can't-breath in 2.4 seconds.

Last edited by Dan'sAlways; 03-14-2007 at 11:29 PM..
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Bring Driver's License to Self Surrender?

I have seen suggestions - both pro and con - about whether to bring a driver's license when self-surrendering. I am a minimum risk offeder, sentenced to a year and a day and unfortunately designated to the MDC Brooklyn.
Does anyone have any specific suggestions as to whether I sould bring my licnese with me?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipesh
Does anyone have any specific suggestions as to whether I sould bring my licnese with me?
Do not bring your license. Not only do you not need it, but you will not be allowed to keep it. They will mail it back to your home address along with your clothes. They have your finger prints and mug shots and they are expecting you. Not only that, but I don't think they have a lot of trouble with people assuming false identities to try to get into prison...lol....sorry...just trying a little humor here. You don't need your license and it is safer to leave it at home so you will have it when you get out. Now if you are flying you may have no choice but to have it with you, but unless you need it on your trip there, leave it home.