Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Self-surrenders are treated better throughout their stay, and they are thought to be lower security risks. For example, kif you go to a local hospital, you will go with a CO in plain clothes and no handcuffs
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 PM

Default Self-Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBW View Post
I am supposed to self surrender on 6/4 will i report to the prison the judge recommended? as long as it's the one i am assigned to i mean. or is it likely they'll put me in a higher security place for a while?
I spent only a few hours in an animal cage before going to camp. At least in Otisville, it is unlikely you will be caged longer than overnight. Arrive at the self-surrender location early in the day, so they can get you out of intake without your needing to spend a night in the hole.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 PM

FYI in Tucson, AZ, they would not allow my fiance to take his soft-cover Bible with him.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM

@ Tipesh, they also shackled my fiance as if he were a murderer.
The Following User Says Thank You to sockmunkey1969 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-21-2013)
Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Donation Award 

Thank you all for so much information! I have yet another question.

My husband is self surrendering to FDC Seatac in March. If he surrenders on a Thursday, and their visiting days are Friday-Monday, (I believe they are assigned an odd or even number) is there a chance I will be able to visit him that same weekend?

I'm just wondering, because this is out of state and I'd have to pay for a hotel room. Sticking around "by chance" is an expensive gamble. Will he be able to call me to tell me if I can visit? How soon does he get access to phone/email/commissary etc?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:59 PM

Default Visiting Right After Self-Surrnder

With the general caveat that all institutions and corrections officers are different, and can make their own rules with impunity, the general rule is that new inmates can receive visitors on the first weekend, irrespective of odd/even days. From what I have seen and heard, BOP worries a lot abput its outside-facing persona.
Very Best of luck to him
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
Thank you all for so much information! I have yet another question.

My husband is self surrendering to FDC Seatac in March. If he surrenders on a Thursday, and their visiting days are Friday-Monday, (I believe they are assigned an odd or even number) is there a chance I will be able to visit him that same weekend?

I'm just wondering, because this is out of state and I'd have to pay for a hotel room. Sticking around "by chance" is an expensive gamble. Will he be able to call me to tell me if I can visit? How soon does he get access to phone/email/commissary etc?
The Following User Says Thank You to Tipesh For This Useful Post:
bitesize (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,979 Times in 10,254 Posts

The same is true about the telephone system, it all depends, but it is unlikely that he will be able to call you in time to visit that weekend on the inmate phone system. Some counselors do allow an initial phone call from their office, but that depends on the counselor being there, holding an open house, and finally if they allow calls or not.

To use the ITS, he will need to give the counselor a list of phone #s he wants to be allowed to call (also requiring an open house). The counselor then has to approve the list and input it into the computer. He then has to wait to receive his 9 digit phone pin # in the mail. Once all of that happens, he can call collect (your phone has to be able to accept collect calls) or he can use the phone and his pin # to transfer money from his inmate commissary account to his ITS account to buy prepaid phone minutes. Local calls cost 6 cents/min, all others cost 23 cents/min and collect calls are at least twice as expensive as prepaid ones.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
The same is true about the telephone system, it all depends, but it is unlikely that he will be able to call you in time to visit that weekend on the inmate phone system. Some counselors do allow an initial phone call from their office, but that depends on the counselor being there, holding an open house, and finally if they allow calls or not.

To use the ITS, he will need to give the counselor a list of phone #s he wants to be allowed to call (also requiring an open house). The counselor then has to approve the list and input it into the computer. He then has to wait to receive his 9 digit phone pin # in the mail. Once all of that happens, he can call collect (your phone has to be able to accept collect calls) or he can use the phone and his pin # to transfer money from his inmate commissary account to his ITS account to buy prepaid phone minutes. Local calls cost 6 cents/min, all others cost 23 cents/min and collect calls are at least twice as expensive as prepaid ones.

Thank you!

So, would it hurt for me to just show up during visiting hours on Friday (the day after he surrenders) just to see if they allow it (or at the very least, tell me to come back tomorrow)?

Taking tips from this thread, I plan to mail his contact list to him the day before he surrenders, and western union money to his account the same day he surrenders, maybe a few hours after he goes in? Or is there a more efficient time? I will also be obtaining a local (same area code and prefix) number before he goes in to save money.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

All of that seems to be right. Be sure to check the SeaTac visiting rules for holdovers. One lady wasn't allowed to visit there because she wasn't listed as an immediate family member in his PSI report. The worst that can happen is to be turned away and not being permitted to visit.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to know anything with certainty in the bop since so much of what happens depends on who is assigned to work the visiting room that day.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 PM

Default insulin pump

My husband is surrendering this summer and he is an insulin dependent diabetic who uses and insulin pump. it's basically a tiny pouch containing insulin that is attached to a needle that is in his stomach that delivers a continuous dose. i assume he can't bring it. should he have his doc switch him to insulin pills now?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:04 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,335 Times in 3,003 Posts

Do not assume anything. At the very least call the facility and speak with medical director. Better even write a registered letter.

Just my opinion but I am guessing he would be much better surrendering on pills. They only supply drugs that are on the bop list. So try to get the list and get him on something they have.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 06-13-2014, 06:37 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I agree to try to find out before he self surrenders. Here is a link to the bop's RX formulary.
http://www.bop.gov/resources/pdfs/formulary.pdf
Old 07-06-2014, 05:28 AM

Default Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
Seems their are many questions that continue to show up over and over. This is one of them. In an effort to help everyone figure out the answers I wll offer the following:

When surrendering , you can bring as much money as you feel comfortable with; however, if you have restitution or fines you may want to do a search on my name and investigate my information on the IFRP (Inmate Financial Responsibility Program).

If this is not an issue... you will be allowed to spend $290.00 /mnth for Commissary. Phones will be $69.00/mnth for 300 long distance minutes (does not count as part of the $290.00 commissary).
Rates are .23 cents/min long distance and .06 cents/min for local calls.
Stamps will be unlimited and do not count toward your $290.00/mnth commissary but will be limited to about 20 at a time).

As for items allowed at surrender, the only items you will be allowed to bring inside with you will be Empty presription bottles of your current medications (resucue inhalers if applicable are the only medication that is an exception to the NO MEDS RULE), A soft cover religous text, a religious medallion valued under $50.00(no stones), a plain wedding band (no stones), 1 pair of ear rings (simple studs or small hoops and again no stones) valued under $50.00, 1 pair of glasses and/or any dental appliances, a limited amount of legal papers that pertain to your case, and either a Money Order or cash for the commissary. Keep in mind some institutions are refusing to accept funds directly. You may want to contact your destination for their particular policy. All other items will be collected and mailed home.

Keep the Faith

Michael

Am I allowed to put thousands in my account like a bank till my release
Old 07-06-2014, 05:40 AM

Can I take gym shoes when I self surrender
Old 07-06-2014, 05:44 AM

Default Money and gym shoes

Can I put thousands in a my prison acct, and can I s.s with a pair of gym shoes
Old 07-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Johnny Boy; If you owe either criminal fines or restitution, depositing thousands in your inmate account will increase your required payments to the inmate financial responsibility program. There is some point where the bop will want you to move some money from your inmate account into a limited access savings account. If you do have lots of money in your inmate account, keep the information to yourself.

If you SS in gym shoes, you will most likely have to mail them home, or "donate" them, but there is always a very small chance that you could keep them. You can purchase gym shoes, etc. from the prison commissary.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 07-06-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Old 07-07-2014, 11:52 PM

I think the inmate account can only hold $5,000 at one time
The Following User Says Thank You to WBGStrap For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-08-2014)
Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 PM

Does a cross necklace count as a religious medal?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfootballqu View Post
Does a cross necklace count as a religious medal?

Yes. Plain with no stones.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

If you run into a problem over your religious jewelry, the prison Chaplain is able to order acceptable items (allowed by the bop) through the commissary.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD View Post
I use a CPAP. Can't breathe at night without it. Am I allowed to bring it? If so, what kind of medical permission process is required? It's noted in my PSI, but do I need something more?
They will issue a CPAP machine to you. A lot of people have them inside.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:26 AM

Diabetics cannot take items in with them. They will be given a reader to keep on there person and will be allowed to go to insulin line three times a day.

Last edited by Jjx062; 10-14-2017 at 11:28 AM..
Old 10-14-2017, 09:31 PM

A friend of ours had to get his CPAP approved and brought his own in. Call your facility to see exactly needs to be done.