Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > 911 > Prison Petitions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Petitions Post all petitions here.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,360 Times in 4,630 Posts
Default Support Senate Bill 1614 - Petition - Keep In-person prison visits!!

U.S. Senator Tammy Duckworth has introduced a bill in Congress which requires prisons/jail who have video visitation to continue permitting in-person visitation. A high percentage of jails who institute video visitation then end their in-person visitation programs!! Who knows what direction prisons will go in the future as the climate of our U.S. government changes.

Go here to read about the bill and sign the Petition. In addition, contact your individual U.S. Senators to support this bill!!

https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/p...in-my-18-years
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
Amanda Mitchell (08-13-2017), Bethann71 (09-12-2017), dtmom2013 (08-13-2017), fbopnomore (08-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2017, 09:57 PM

Tammy Duckworth is one of my individual US Senators. (the other is Durbin) Any chance that there's a direct link to send letters/emails out to senators so we don't have to write our own?
Old 08-12-2017, 04:13 PM

I've written to both Senators. I pointed out that visits reduce recidivism and therefore make the public safer. I pointed out that contraband problems increase when in-person visits are banned.
Amanda Mitchell (08-13-2017), Bethann71 (09-12-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 04:20 PM

Default End video chat and promote family and significant other contact with inmate

[quote=Zelda50;7653726]U.S. Senator Tammy Duckworth has introduced a bill in Congress which requires prisons/jail who have video visitation to continue permitting in-person visitation. A high percentage of jails who institute video visitation then end their in-person visitation programs!! Who knows what direction prisons will go in the future as the climate of our U.S. government changes.

Washington County Jail in Sandersville, GA recently opened its new facility in January. Shortly after, all plexi-glass visits were preserved for trustees only! With just over a hundred in population, all visits at the jail are conducted via video only, which I believe is a crime to the loved ones of the inmates. I have been voicing to others to be heard when I hear their disdain over the absurdity of video chatting at this rural county jail which has too few inmates for such a service. It fails the rehabilitative process on so many levels, but mostly it fails the families of the inmates.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:25 PM

That's a great talking point for your Senators right there, that this is a bill to protect outmates who have never been convicted of a crime.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:08 PM

Default Indeed

I agree, and thank you!

I have been on the phone this morning with a new monster.

Emanuel Probation Detention Center, located in Twin City, GA has denied my love and I visitation privileges because of a policy that comes from the Georgia Department of Corrections governing body, yet the governing body responded saying it is up to the warden/superintendent of the facility to make an exception.

So the policy states, visitors of the inmates need to be off probation for a year. I was on probation for a misdemeanor offense that I plead guilty to only because I wanted to be over and done with as I was also going through a nasty divorce! Look at this, I was arrested in December 2016 and I was placed on probation for two years unless all requirements were fulfilled before. I fulfilled all my requirements in a matter of three months. Shouldn't that count for something!

I say, it should be up to the inmate! I am sure the inmate knows who he wants to come visit him, and who he doesn't want! That's how it should work period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
That's a great talking point for your Senators right there, that this is a bill to protect outmates who have never been convicted of a crime.