Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:19 AM

Default Mandatory release date and projected release date..whats the differance?

what is the difference between mandatory release date and projected release date?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2004, 02:32 PM

From the tdcj website:

"Projected release date is determined by the offense date and the nature of the offense. Offenses committed prior to 9-1-96, that are by Law eligible for Mandatory Supervision, will be released on their projected release date if they are not paroled.

Offenses committed 9-1-96 or after, that are by Law eligible for Mandatory Supervision, will be released at the discretion of BPP. For offenders not approved for release by BPP, or that are not eligible for Mandatory Supervision, the projected release date will be their discharge date."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyluv
what is the difference between mandatory release date and projected release date?
Old 09-14-2004, 07:59 AM

What makes an offender eligible for mandatory supervision.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Closed

projected release is the date that they are projected to be up for parole, mandatory release is when they ahve served 85% of there time i believe
Old 09-14-2004, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRs Girl 4EVA
What makes an offender eligible for mandatory supervision.
I'm pretty sure whether or not the are eligible for mandatory supervision depends on the date of the felony offense and what type of felony offense was committeed. And, if the felony was committed after 1996, it's called Discretionary Mandatory Supervision, meaning that once they meet the requirements of flat time served plus good time equaling the length of the sentence then their "file" goes to the parole board who can grant or deny release to mandatory supervision. However, if they are granted mandatory supervision it is the same as being on parole and all of the parole rules, etc. apply to them.

If they were charged with a felony prior to 1987 then they are eligible for non-discretionary mandatory supervision. Once they have served enough flat time/good time and it equals their sentence, then they are automatically released and the parole board has no say over their release. They are still released to parole and again, all the same rules apply as to someone who has been released to parole status.

I hope this helps some.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Waiting for our day!

I am confused!....so how is mandatory supervision different then parole????
Old 09-14-2004, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMS
I am confused!....so how is mandatory supervision different then parole????
As my husband's ex-parole officer told me -- there is no difference in parole or mandatory supervision. They are the same thing -- the difference is in how the inmate is released, and again, that depends on when they were convicted and what type of felony they were convicted of.

If they get released on mandatory supervision, whether it's discretionary or non-discretionary, they are still considered on "parole" and still have to comply with all parole rules, pay parole fees, etc.

I know how confusing this can be -- it's taken me months to finally begin to understand. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:35 AM

Thanked 11,058 Times in 5,991 Posts

There is lots of misinformation in this thread, so let me see if I can clear things up...

First off, mandatory supervision eligibility is based upon the laws in effect on the date that the offense was committed. Before 1977, there was no such thing as mandatory supervision. When flat time and good time equaled the sentence of record, you were released by discharge.

Between 1977 and August 31, 1987, everything was eligible for release to mandatory supervision when the total time credits equaled the sentence of record. This date is known as the projected minimum release date, also known as the short-way date and shown on some of the computer screens as the PRD.

Beginning in September 1987 and continuing through almost every legislative session, there has been a series of restrictions on eligible offenses. The release is the same as pre-1987 in terms of it being keyed to a combination of time credits that equals 100% of the sentence.

For offenses committed on or after September 01, 1996, the Board of Pardons and Paroles must vote that the combined credits on an eligible offender are an accurate portrayal that the release does not pose a threat to the community. There has also been a court decision that has held that an offender must have a decision recorded by the PRD or it is presumed that they are to be released (this is why Durst was processed for release).

85% of the sentence has no bearing on Texas sentences. I believe that FL uses 85% as the release key as is also the presumptive date I have seen associated with federal cases.

As noted, parole and mandatory supervision conditions are identical as are the responsibilities. The difference is the language of law that allowed the release to occur.

Hope that helps...
Old 10-18-2004, 06:13 AM
David Collingsworth

Cool Thank you CenTexLyn

I really like your comments. 85% has nothing to do in Texas. The laws are constantly changing as well as Parole policies. Mandatory supervision is supposed to be when good time, work time and flat time equal 100%, that's what used to be called discharge. Today most inmates in Texas aren't eligible for parole until they have served 50% of their time flat. Parole also has the tendency to take away the mandatory discharge date to keep an inmate incarcerated to meet this 50%. A projected release date is just an educated guess by TDCJ-ID, not parole. I fell in a crack when convicted in 1990 of a non-agg 3(g) 2nd degree Robbery. Non-agg 3(g) cases are not eligible for mandatory Supervision, but must make parole or serve all the time flat. The laws can be hinky, and the only thing that can be counted on is if the inmate follows the rules to the best of his/her ability, and participates in rehabilitive programs (i.e. Substance Abuse, anger management, stress management, Changes, faith based classes that give certificates such as MasterLife, etc.) as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn
There is lots of misinformation in this thread, so let me see if I can clear things up...

First off, mandatory supervision eligibility is based upon the laws in effect on the date that the offense was committed. Before 1977, there was no such thing as mandatory supervision. When flat time and good time equaled the sentence of record, you were released by discharge.

Between 1977 and August 31, 1987, everything was eligible for release to mandatory supervision when the total time credits equaled the sentence of record. This date is known as the projected minimum release date, also known as the short-way date and shown on some of the computer screens as the PRD.

Beginning in September 1987 and continuing through almost every legislative session, there has been a series of restrictions on eligible offenses. The release is the same as pre-1987 in terms of it being keyed to a combination of time credits that equals 100% of the sentence.

For offenses committed on or after September 01, 1996, the Board of Pardons and Paroles must vote that the combined credits on an eligible offender are an accurate portrayal that the release does not pose a threat to the community. There has also been a court decision that has held that an offender must have a decision recorded by the PRD or it is presumed that they are to be released (this is why Durst was processed for release).

85% of the sentence has no bearing on Texas sentences. I believe that FL uses 85% as the release key as is also the presumptive date I have seen associated with federal cases.

As noted, parole and mandatory supervision conditions are identical as are the responsibilities. The difference is the language of law that allowed the release to occur.

Hope that helps...
cell - 903-360-4697
davidcollingsworth@yahoo.com
The Following User Says Thank You to txcwby95 For This Useful Post:
sugarsmom (04-06-2015)