Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Donation Award 

Default When the phones are finally installed in TDCJ prisons, will there be limits?

When and if the Texas Department of Criminal Justice installs phones in the prisons, will there be limits on which offenders can use them? I thought I had read somewhere that they were trying to limit the use to only non violent offenders. Does anyone know if this is true? I think everyone should have the chance to call home and I think it is so wrong because most of the wrongfully convicted are in b/c of violent crimes or crimes that would keep them from phone use and they are likely the ones facing the longer sentences. I think that tdc should be ashamed of themselves for the way they almost push people away from their loved ones inside, its almost as if they want us to abandon them and leave them to rot all alone in that place.
The Following User Says Thank You to elbw2 For This Useful Post:
WifejailedinAZ (06-01-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2008, 05:09 PM
AZ Husband of a TX inmate

Great question and great post, to further expand on the confusion, since not much on the Topic is really available out there, I have yet another question. Are they going to limit it to collect calls only or will they institute a calling card system like most counties have now
"Husbands, take good care of your wives. They are weaker than you. So treat them with respect. Honor them as those who will share with you the gracious gift of life. Then nothing will stand in the way of your prayers."

Old 06-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Gollum, the evil one &TDC

Global Tel Link has just taken over all the units that MCI was running. In Bowie County Jail where Marc is being held (NOT Bowie Correctional Center) because of the TDCJ unit not having room. Bowie County Jail has just gone to GTL. I can tell you a site and how GTL works. But I don't know if they have the contract on all or any of the TDCJ units. I hope that makes sense.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Whoever handles it, it'll be interesting to see how they're going to manage it.
I would guess that confirmed gangmembers will not have access, but how are the units going to keep them from using non-members to pass any info.
I would imagine, just like in county, they'll be monitored/recorded calls.
And I'm sure TDCJ wants to not only allot for collect calls, but establish phone cards as well. I would wager it's going to be expensive too...after all, this isn't about "providing a service" for the inmates. This is about the almighty dollar, and TDCJ plans to make out like bandits on this.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM

At this point it doesn't matter who handles it. Just as long as our loved ones can call us and let us know that that they are ok. What the leaders of TDC need to realize is that alot of the offenders incarcerated cannot properly get rehabilitated because of the limited contact they have with there families. They should be happy to provide phone service as this may make there jobs alot easier. If the offenders are content than they can have easier shifts.

When you isolate them and cut them off from there support system then you force them to rebel. Sometimes the opportunity to hear your husband,wife,mother,father or siblings voice can go along way.

So whatever there plan is they need to implement it as soon as possible.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

found this....

http://gritsforbreakfast.blogspot.co...e-service.html

quote from the article:

Following the bill's passage, Gov. Rick Perry said he had misgivings the measure would allow pedophiles and violent offenders among the state's some 155,000 inmates to have phone access, but he chose not to veto it because he believed prison officials could set up appropriate rules governing phone use. The measure had passed unanimously in the Senate and cleared the House by a vote of 142-1. ...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 PM
AZ Husband of a TX inmate

I know that while Deb was at Denton County they had transitioned from one company to another, but they maintained using the calling cards. She got 3, 15 minute calls per card and they cost her $9.00 each.
"Husbands, take good care of your wives. They are weaker than you. So treat them with respect. Honor them as those who will share with you the gracious gift of life. Then nothing will stand in the way of your prayers."

Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Gollum, the evil one &TDC

The contract must be awarded by TDCJ no later than September 1, 2008. (TDCJ) to award a contract to a single private vendor to install, provide installation, operation, and maintenance of the phone service.

Well you should no soon. I have some pages that give into on where the profits go (victims families etc.) and that 80% of inmates can use them. Didnt see who was NOT able to use them just what percent could. Want the links
Old 06-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,745 Posts

I posted the TDCJ phone policy here sometime ago: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=322393

Maybe one of the moderators will make it a sticky.

elb-Agg. offenders will be allowed to use the phones as long as they meet the other eligibility requirements.

When I asked Mr. Livingston at the PACT conference about the cost of the phones he told me that it would be equivalent to whatever the county jail (in the county where each TDCJ unit is) is charging and won't be allowed to be more than that.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!

Last edited by ReggiesLady; 06-02-2008 at 04:30 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
David (01-20-2009), elbw2 (06-02-2008), jps1stlady (06-02-2008), lormur (06-02-2008), WifejailedinAZ (06-02-2008)
Old 06-02-2008, 11:40 PM

Does anyone know how long it will take the phones to be installed when Sept gets here?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:37 AM

Do a google search on S. B. 1580
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Judged For This Useful Post:
Live2luvhim (06-03-2008)
Old 06-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,179 Times in 2,585 Posts

There is no set time limit on when the phones must be installed. The contract is to be let by a certain date as posted above but I don't think TDC will be in any hurry to get them installed. Just my 2 cents.

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,745 Posts

Once the contract is issued there will be a "completion date" but of course we all know how much those can change. It will be interesting to see if they even pick a contract by September. I won't hold my breath.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!