Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:14 PM

Question Hospitalization/Medical Care/Health Insurance

Has anyone had a loved one in need of surgery or cancer treatment?
Were they able to receive the care needed?

Curious to know if the patient can use their own health insurance to pay for services, rather than the Florida Department of Corrections.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,005 Times in 3,134 Posts

I can't speak for Florida, only for Oregon.

In Oregon, if an inmate is admitted to the hospital, DOC has to pay for the admission. The hospital can charge a second health insurance (such as Medicare Part B) for the remainder, but DOC is the primary insurer.

My father was admitted for treatment of cancer. He did receive the care he needed. He was eventually moved to DOC's version of hospice for the last 3 weeks or so of his life. He was not in the hospital for long, however, as DOC insisted on putting 2 guards on him 24/7, so they try to get people out of the hospital as fast as possible due to the overtime expense on the guards.

In his case, he had a type of cancer that was not treatable. It was 6 weeks from diagnosis to death. DOC was not terrible for his end of life care, but they had their limitations as their formulary does not include all the drugs available on the outside. They at least managed his pain well.

I hope you can get some answers specific to Florida.

I'm very sorry to hear you asking these questions. DOC is stressful enough. DOC with your loved one going through these kinds of medical issues can be emotionally harsh.

You may want to call the prison in advance and find out if you can visit your loved one in the hospital - just find out what the procedure is.

My heart goes out to you.