Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:28 PM

Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,517 Posts
Default Process for getting passport & traveling out of the country with a minor?

Can a lawyer private message me I need to ask a question and it's very important. Thanks. It's not about prison it's about traveling out of the country with a minor. Thanks

Wasn't sure where to out this post but I'm sure a moderator can move it to the right spot.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:05 PM

Thanked 1,967 Times in 946 Posts

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe you need permission from the other parent. I had to be present for my boys passports and so did their father. I have to sign a notorized letter giving him permission. We have joint legal custody.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 05:35 PM

My question is does she need to have a copy of his ID??? She's asking for it and I don't want to give it to her if she doesn't need it.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM

Thanked 2,897 Times in 944 Posts

I don’t see what a copy of his ID would do for the border patrol. Having someone’s ID doesn’t imply their permission.

You can check each country’s website for their rules. I recently took my 15 year old daughter to Canada and she and I were asked a lot of questions (separately) but ultimately no permission from her father was needed.... good thing because she hasn’t seen him in years. I did bring along a copy of our divorce decree and custody agreement since the website recommended it but no one looked at it. I think the age of the child makes a difference.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 PM

Thanked 1,967 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
My question is does she need to have a copy of his ID??? She's asking for it and I don't want to give it to her if she doesn't need it.
I had to show the post office my I'D as proof to get the passport and so did my ex. I'm not sure if that is why she is asking.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,567 Posts

I just applied for my 3 year old daughter's passport and had to have her father notarize the permission letter. His ID wouldn't do them any good.
Sarianna (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:43 PM

He just filled that out and sent it to her. I checked everywhere online and it says nothing about her needing it for him to go to China. She didn't say she needed it for his passport she said she needed it for him to get in.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:18 PM

You need a passport for a minor to go to China or anywhere out of the country. If not a passport, then a passport card is available and it's less. You just have to make sure which countries allow it.

An ID will not suffice for traveling outside of the country. I have traveled numerous times with my children outside of the country and the country will not let you in if you don't have a passport or card. Further, to go to China you need a Visa or they will not let you in. I've been to China and you have to go to the Chinese Consulate to get the Visa which is a pain in the neck. Since I live in Chicago it's easy enough to do so, but if you don't live where there is a Chinese Consulate, then I think you have to send it in. If I recall correctly, it is also not a same day service type of thing regardless. So even for me, it is not same day service.

Please feel free to pm me if you have questions about the process. It is not cheap to get the visa. Also, since I'm divorced, I never leave the country with my kids without a signed notarized letter from my ex husband giving me permission to travel with them as well as to seek medical care if necessary. While that is not always legally required, I don't want to run into any problems, so better to be safe than sorry.

The ID is not required to get a passport, but she cannot get them passports without him present, and if he cannot be present since he is incarcerated, then it's a lot more complicated. They've changed it now where both parents do not have to be present but the non-present parent has to provide a copy of their driver's license and have their signature notarized in the presence of a notary. In my case, I recently renewed my kids passports and the lady decided to give me a hard time, because my notary was my current husband and she thought it was odd that he was notarizing my ex-husband's signature and I was like, what the hell do you care if my ex-husband doesn't care. I wanted to say it was really none of her business, which it wasn't! Geez.

I would be concerned that she is asking for his ID in order to get a passport, and forging his signature to get it notarized in order to get the passports in the first place. His ID will not do anything to get them into another country and again, to enter China you need a VISA, and all this other crap for reasons why you're entering China, including your itinerary, etc.

Last edited by rockchalk1; 06-14-2018 at 09:21 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-14-2018), MizzyMuffling (06-15-2018), xolady (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:02 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 17,671 Times in 6,480 Posts

Quote:
He just filled that out and sent it to her. I checked everywhere online and it says nothing about her needing it for him to go to China. She didn't say she needed it for his passport she said she needed it for him to get in.
I'm confused...she's trying to get into China, or he is?

When I got my passport, which now seems like a lifetime ago so things may have changed, I had to have my parents information like birthplace and dates, maiden or other names used. But not their ID.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post

When I got my passport, which now seems like a lifetime ago so things may have changed, I had to have my parents information like birthplace and dates, maiden or other names used. But not their ID.
See what I said above re what a minor needs for a passport re their parents. Getting his ID doesn’t help her unless her plan is to have someone sign the passport application as the father and have the signature notarized. However to have the sugabtaure notarized, the notary is supposed to verify that the father signed the passport application Ning Front of the notary so if the father is not the one actually signing the passport application (which he wouldn’t be in this case since he’s in Prison), someone is committing fraud here, and in this case, two people. The person signing the father’s name and the notary! Immortal saying that’s what they want the ID for, but that is only one of the two ways to get a passport for a minor. The other way is to actually be present. She could’ve had the passport application notarized in prison so not sure what that is about.

As for the China part, here is what that entails “Applicants under the age of 18 must provide their original birth certificate, plus their parents original passports if the parents are not applying for visas at the same time as the minor. If a parent does not have a passport they must provide a copy of a notarized ID and a signed notarized letter of parental consent, if only one parent is applying for a visa then there must be a copy of the parents passport or a notarized ID, plus a letter of parental consent”. Again, OP mentioned China and only “giving” the ID to the child’s parent. Nothing about it notarized or a letter of consent. Not kosher if you ask me!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post

She's taking their minor child to China. She sent him paperwork asking for permission and he signed it and sent it back. She sent me a text message yesterday saying that she needs a copy of his ID in order for their son to get into China. I looked all over the internet I cannot find anything that says that she needs his other parents ID. I spoke to my husband this morning and he told me do not send a copy of his ID. She's always up to something so I have no idea why she thinks she needs it but I'm not sending it.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:52 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
She's taking their minor child to China. She sent him paperwork asking for permission and he signed it and sent it back. She sent me a text message yesterday saying that she needs a copy of his ID in order for their son to get into China. I looked all over the internet I cannot find anything that says that she needs his other parents ID. I spoke to my husband this morning and he told me do not send a copy of his ID. She's always up to something so I have no idea why she thinks she needs it but I'm not sending it.
Ahh, ok. I thought the "she" was the minor child. Got it.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
See what I said above re what a minor needs for a passport re their parents. Getting his ID doesn’t help her unless her plan is to have someone sign the passport application as the father and have the signature notarized.
Yeah, I misunderstood the players.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Ok so she was texting me yesterday and telling me that I'm stopping her son from going and that I'll be the one to blame etc etc....she then give me the number to the Visa place so I called. The lady tells me that she does not need a copy of my husband's ID as long as her son has one and he does. So I take down her name and operator number and text it to his ex and she starts calling me names and talking bad about my husband etc. She's Crazy. She tells me she will deal with the prison and make him give her a copy lmao I said good luck because I have the ID in my possession and your not getting a copy. She did call the prison and my husband called me and I told him I talked to the visa place and she don't need it he said well then end of story she's not getting it. She then tells me she will go visit my husband. Good luck with that to your not on his list and he would deny the visit anyway. She's seriously CRAZY.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Ok so she was texting me yesterday and telling me that I'm stopping her son from going and that I'll be the one to blame etc etc....she then give me the number to the Visa place so I called. The lady tells me that she does not need a copy of my husband's ID as long as her son has one and he does. So I take down her name and operator number and text it to his ex and she starts calling me names and talking bad about my husband etc. She's Crazy. She tells me she will deal with the prison and make him give her a copy lmao I said good luck because I have the ID in my possession and your not getting a copy. She did call the prison and my husband called me and I told him I talked to the visa place and she don't need it he said well then end of story she's not getting it. She then tells me she will go visit my husband. Good luck with that to your not on his list and he would deny the visit anyway. She's seriously CRAZY.
Read this if she tries to take the child out of the country without his permission https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tion-faqs.html

I would not allow her to take the minor child out under any circumstances, and 100% do not give his ID. Whether it is for the child or not, you have no idea what the real purpose is and he is incarcerated, so if she is using it for a passport, it is illegal, because as I mentioned previously, she could very well be using it to have someone sign for him and then have that (not his) signature notarized. For what reason would she have to take his minor child to China anyway?

Read about the exit and entrance procedures for the United States. They often don't check your passport when you leave, but when you enter another country. So that could also be problematic as the child may not be able to enter another country and will be put right back on a plane back to the US, or sent to an embassy which you also want to avoid. China is also not a place you would want to have a minor child stuck in. I believe the US has no extradition treaty with the US so they may not be so friendly if she enters illegally and gets stuck there. So, again, don't give her jack and do not cave in no matter what!
Old 06-17-2018, 04:37 AM

Oh believe me I'm not caving I'm not giving her a copy of his ID there's no need for it. He already gave her permission to go he signed a paper and had it notarized in his counselors office. Her sister lives there for work so they paid for her and her son to go. I wouldn't want to go to China not that there's anything wrong with it but.... That's just me. It's a scary place I think especially for someone who doesn't live there. His son looks like an adult he's 6-5 and weighs 250 lb and he's 17 years old so I don't think there's going to be a problem with him being abducted.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanked 2,575 Times in 904 Posts

Applicants under the age of 18 must provide their original birth certificate, plus their parents original passports if the parents are not applying for visas at the same time as the minor. If a parent does not have a passport they must provide a copy of a notarized ID and a signed notarized letter of parental consent, if only one parent is applying for a visa then there must be a copy of the parents passport or a notarized ID, plus a letter of parental consent.

https://www.traveldocs.com/blog/New-...ina-blogpost33

All minors under the age of 18 traveling to China must: ... Provide a copy of both parents' driver's licenses or state IDs (if the minor does not have a state ID) Provide a copy of both parents' passports. Provide a copy of the parents' proof of U.S. residency status (if not U.S. citizens)

https://china.travisa.com/

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyS For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (06-19-2018), Sarianna (06-17-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 02:21 PM

[quote=AndyS;7727517]Applicants under the age of 18 must provide their original birth certificate, plus their parents original passports if the parents are not applying for visas at the same time as the minor. If a parent does not have a passport they must provide a copy of a notarized ID and a signed notarized letter of parental consent, if only one parent is applying for a visa then there must be a copy of the parents passport or a notarized ID, plus a letter of parental consent.

https://www.traveldocs.com/blog/New-...ina-blogpost33

All minors under the age of 18 traveling to China must: ... Provide a copy of both parents' driver's licenses or state IDs (if the minor does not have a state ID) Provide a copy of both parents' passports. Provide a copy of the parents' proof of U.S. residency status (if not U.S. citizens)

https://china.travisa.com/[/QUOTE
That’s why I keep directing her to these sites. You can’t just leave with a minor without IF or proper parental permission/authority.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Oh believe me I'm not caving I'm not giving her a copy of his ID there's no need for it. He already gave her permission to go he signed a paper and had it notarized in his counselors office. Her sister lives there for work so they paid for her and her son to go. I wouldn't want to go to China not that there's anything wrong with it but.... That's just me. It's a scary place I think especially for someone who doesn't live there. His son looks like an adult he's 6-5 and weighs 250 lb and he's 17 years old so I don't think there's going to be a problem with him being abducted.
There’s absolutely nothing scary about going to China. There’s just a ton of traffic and everyone and their brother smokes!! The language barrier is an issue so you need to have taxi drivers don’t even know their way around even to high end hotels but there are some amazing sites to see. Some things are dirt cheap and it’s pretty safe. When my husband was meeting with clients, I did a lot of tours by myself. Rural areas may be different but the bigger cities are fine. Hong Kong as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-19-2018), gvalliant (06-19-2018), Sarianna (06-18-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
There’s absolutely nothing scary about going to China. There’s just a ton of traffic and everyone and their brother smokes!! The language barrier is an issue so you need to have taxi drivers don’t even know their way around even to high end hotels but there are some amazing sites to see. Some things are dirt cheap and it’s pretty safe. When my husband was meeting with clients, I did a lot of tours by myself. Rural areas may be different but the bigger cities are fine. Hong Kong as well.
Oh that's cool. I would probably never go though I'm more than likely rather go to Italy that's where my husband's family is from originally. Seems more romantic anyway laugh out loud I'm sure they will have fun.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:49 PM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Just out of curiosity: How close is he to his 18th birthday? Wouldn't that cut out a lot of hassle?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:16 PM

Not close. But he doesn't need my husband's ID