Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 06-13-2018, 03:19 PM

Thanked 1,308 Times in 724 Posts
Default Florida bans Prison Legal News

https://thecrimereport.org/2018/06/1...on-legal-news/

Quote:
Last month, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, which covers Alabama, Georgia and Florida, upheld the state’s decision to ban Prison Legal News (PLN), on the grounds that it carries ads for services that are prohibited in Florida correctional facilities.

Those services include three-way calling, pen pal services, and selling postage stamps for cash.
choclgs (06-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,160 Times in 2,258 Posts

I want to believe this has less to do with the advertisements and so forth, and more to do with having access to legal resources.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,748 Times in 1,586 Posts

The ONLY thing I see that should be legit is the 3-way calling, as they can pull the 'security' card. The rest is crap. Inmates should be able to have any type of Pen-Pal services they want. As for postage stamp currency.. Common..
choclgs (06-17-2018), WeepingWillow (06-15-2018), xolady (06-17-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanked 2,897 Times in 944 Posts

Ok now I’m super curious about an advert for selling postage stamps for cash. That’s a service someone is offering to an inmate? How does that benefit an inmate, why would he/she want to do that? They wouldn’t be able to receive cash at the prison. Clearly I’m missing something.

The only thing I can think of is if the inmate amasses a large quantity of postage stamps from other inmates and then sends those postage stamps home to family who would then exchange for cash... but would they even be able to mail them home?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
I want to believe this has less to do with the advertisements and so forth, and more to do with having access to legal resources.
I am also curious why you feel a prison would object to inmates having access to whatever limited legal resources they could possibly get from a newsletter. Most prisons have a law library. Here they are even given access to our state judicial websites where they can download forms and case histories and law information.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 PM

Thanked 1,308 Times in 724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
I am also curious why you feel a prison would object to inmates having access to whatever limited legal resources they could possibly get from a newsletter. Most prisons have a law library. Here they are even given access to our state judicial websites where they can download forms and case histories and law information.
That is better than some other places. At USP Atlanta Michael Santos watched someone sent to the SHU and transferred across the country from his family because he asked for a necessary law book to be ordered for the law library.

It took a Supreme Court decision to force prisons to have law libraries at all.
Anyone who wants to nerd out on the history of that, see http://www.seorf.ohiou.edu/~xx132/iflacorr.htm
Quote:
"The fundamental constitutional right of access to the courts requires prison authorities to assist inmates in the preparation and filing of meaningful legal papers by providing prisoners with adequate law libraries or adequate assistance from persons trained in the law."

This quote is taken from Bounds v. Smith (430 U.S. 817), the 1977 landmark Supreme Court decision, which led to the establishment of law libraries in most major U.S. prisons. Bounds was the culmination of thirty-six years of significant federal court decisions...
choclgs (06-17-2018), nimuay (06-17-2018), xolady (06-17-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
That is better than some other places. At USP Atlanta Michael Santos watched someone sent to the SHU and transferred across the country from his family because he asked for a necessary law book to be ordered for the law library.

It took a Supreme Court decision to force prisons to have law libraries at all.
Anyone who wants to nerd out on the history of that, see http://www.seorf.ohiou.edu/~xx132/iflacorr.htm
So... was there really that much available in the way of “legal resources” in this publication to warrant its rejection?
Old 06-17-2018, 08:03 AM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,160 Times in 2,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
Because for many in SC prisons, they can't leave their dorm to get to the law library. As for downloadable forms, family members are not allowed to mail forms to be completed by an offender. If they don't get those items from an outside source like Prison Legal News, our hands are tied. I recently spoke with someone who stated that their relative told them they're at the point of choosing food to purchase over mailing materials because things have gotten that desperate here.

I realize many here have access to tablets and so forth but we're very archaic in comparison. For example, the kiosk were installed a few years back to allow email access, long after many others had had them. Every penal system is different, and just as in the outside world, South Carolina has a long way to get to where many other state prisons are.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:51 AM

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,830 Posts

Florida is so far behind the times it is sickening!!!