Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 06-13-2018, 10:08 PM

Default IDOC: Do they actually search your vehicle at visitation in Illinois?

Not that I would bring in contraband or anything to or inside of a prison, but do they actually search your vehicle as well? I know it says subject to search but Id like to make sure. My guess is only if they find something on you. So yeah this is about visiting and the search of vehicles. Thankssss.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2018, 06:05 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,385 Times in 14,500 Posts

They most certainly will if they even suspect there's drugs / contraband in it, whether you intended to take any inside the prison with you or not. Some (most) facilities have / have access to drug sniffing dogs. Having any type contraband anywhere on the prison's property can lead to outside charges, loss of visitation, etc.

Think about it, you could lose visits over having a roach in the back of an ashtray or a piece of stem / seed under one of the seats. Now....go vacuum out that car

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (06-14-2018), miamac (06-14-2018), Nickel Timer (06-14-2018), xolady (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:47 AM

Thanked 1,967 Times in 946 Posts

Not in Illinois, but I won't even leave my son's baseball bat in my car for fear it be looked as a weapon. Anything that could be viewed questionably, clear it out.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:54 AM

I've been to Menard's the Max there and i my vehicle wasn't searched. I guess if they catch you with something they could come out and do it or maybe during visits they walk dogs through the lots sometimes. I didn't see it but it's possible.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:55 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,385 Times in 14,500 Posts

Quote:
Contraband

Bringing contraband into a IDOC facility is a criminal offense as specified in the Illinois Criminal Code of 1961.

"Contraband" means items which are prohibited by criminal law, departmental or facility rules or posted notices. They are items which an offender has no authority to possess; or property which is in excess of that which is authorized by the facility.
All persons, vehicles and items brought onto State property are subject to search.

Failure to submit to a search will result in denial, suspension or restriction of visiting privileges.

Any visitor who is in possession of contraband, such as weapons, drugs, etc., will be prohibited from visiting. The individual will be reported to the State Police and criminal charges may be filed. Offenders are not allowed to receive any items, such as clothing, jewelry, books, magazines, paperwork, etc., from visitors and shall not be allowed to take any items back to their housing units.
Illinois Department of Corrections Visitation Rules & Information

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
xolady (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 11:25 AM

It depends on where you are at. Lawrence they didn't but vienna they do

The Following User Says Thank You to Andy&Me For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (06-16-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy&Me View Post
It depends on where you are at. Lawrence they didn't but vienna they do

Gracia, Quite interesting and great to know since i am tight with mi especiale amigo, en IL ahora...(for six months and growing)so now I know more, and learning more about all this, when i visit, before he come home. Good to know.
adios.
thank you, PTO'ers...
Without action, it's just not real. Don't settle. Live Well. Be happy,
because life is too short not to be."
Old 06-16-2018, 08:37 AM

Thanked 2,897 Times in 944 Posts

At the prison here, they will randomly trot the K-9 unit through the visitor parking lot. There’s a sign as you enter the parking lot indicating this possibility. I don’t know how common it is, but it is an example of your car being searched even if nothing about you personally aroused suspicion during the visiting process.

For what it’s worth, there are amnesty boxes at three different spots along the journey from parking lot to the visiting room. It blows me away when they get emptied!