Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
blueyes3's Avatar
blueyes3 blueyes3 is offline
Need to love myself first
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: michigan City, Indiana
Posts: 123
Thanks: 99
Thanked 154 Times in 47 Posts
Default If they scam in prison, will they scam when released too?

Someone had posted on the "cell" phone thread that if they are still doing illegal stuff in there, they will do it out here! how true is that?? I just want to know because I broke up with my man. Alot of it had to do with his activities. He had cell phones, sometimes sold them, sold tobacoo, and sometimes weed, (guards brought it in)Says he needed to earn money kinda sounds like he would still be in same mind frame doesnt it? Hes been in twenty years and gets out end of this year
__________________
She flies with her own wings
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueyes3 For This Useful Post:
crazy2010 (05-28-2010)
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM
retired - 666 retired - 666 is offline
BANNED
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beach usa
Posts: 996
Thanks: 1,223
Thanked 1,239 Times in 581 Posts
Default

The things you just said about your ex...My ex was a mirror of that and he was earning all that extra money to support his massive dope habit ,which he hid from me very well till he was released and then I discovered he WAS and IS a heroin addict.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:07 PM
NY-Done NY-Done is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 603
Thanks: 550
Thanked 595 Times in 335 Posts
Default

It's the mindset and oftentimes, that's hard to change. He's a hustler Baby and, that may not be one of the things he leaves in there when he gets out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:16 PM
lovelyme lovelyme is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 387
Thanks: 642
Thanked 344 Times in 204 Posts
Default

i believe is true. because if ur gonna change in any way, u would start by changing once ur in there. the fact that he is risking himself in there, to me would mean he can care less, and he would have no problem doing illegal things on the outside either. i would be so mad if my man would risk it like that. good luck to u honey.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM
KeithsWifeyxOx KeithsWifeyxOx is offline
Banned
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 2,699
Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Ehhh..I don't necessarily agree with that statement. It depends on the extent of what they're doing. As for cell phones and finding a hustle, those aren't horrendous crimes or anything...It's just petty shit. However, if a man is still involved in assaults, theft, drugs, or anything like that in there...THAT'S when I would worry. If a man has a cell phone in there or is finding money to call you or something, that's not total indication that he's going to resort to God awful crimes when he gets out or anything... As far as hard drugs go, if he's doing those in there, I would grow concerned. As for tobacco and marijuana, I would still be angry with him since he'd be ruining his chances at parole, but in reality, if he wrapped up his time and came out, I wouldn't be angry with him at all if he did those things at home. It's the BIG stuff that concerns me. Marijuana and tobacco aren't big to me, but since he's doing them in prison and not respecting the fact it could hurt how long he's in there for, I may be angered by it.

Last edited by KeithsWifeyxOx; 05-19-2010 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM
alwayslovinghim alwayslovinghim is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: on row street
Posts: 538
Thanks: 130
Thanked 372 Times in 254 Posts
Default

I think so, I talk to my husband about this stuff, b/c he says that this time will be different.... I ask how he says that when he went in the first time he never thought about changing, he says I use to do the same thing on the street in there so when I got out it was not a thought of change because I never thought to change...... I think that if they are in there and would be willing to get more time added on/ getting a new street charge, then that is self explaintory- he doesn't fear the trouble and the boundaries that are set for him......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 PM
alwayslovinghim alwayslovinghim is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: on row street
Posts: 538
Thanks: 130
Thanked 372 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsWifeyxOx View Post
Ehhh..I don't necessarily agree with that statement. It depends on the extent of what they're doing. As for cell phones and finding a hustle, those aren't horrendous crimes or anything...It's just petty shit. However, if a man is still involved in assaults, theft, drugs, or anything like that in there...THAT'S when I would worry. If a man has a cell phone in there or is finding money to call you or something, that's not total indication that he's going to resort to God awful crimes when he gets out or anything... As far as hard drugs go, if he's doing those in there, I would grow concerned. As for tobacco and marijuana, I would still be angry with him since he'd be ruining his chances at parole, but in reality, if he wrapped up his time and came out, I wouldn't be angry with him at all if he did those things at home. It's the BIG stuff that concerns me. Marijuana and tobacco aren't big to me, but since he's doing them in prison and not respecting the fact it could hurt how long he's in there for, I may be angered by it.


well having a cell phone is not considered a petty charge, then can get an institutional writeup that can constitute severe penalties...... to us it is very petty ( I do agree) but they are there to be punished so I would just walk the line to get out.... when hubby gets home I will get a million phones, and a pound of tobacco, lol, hustle away
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2010, 09:37 PM
xgot420issuesx's Avatar
xgot420issuesx xgot420issuesx is offline
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,983
Thanks: 2,178
Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,607 Posts
Default

Rules are rules, it doesn't matter if you agree with them or not. There is a very good reason why cell phones are not allowed in prisons, it is a HUGE security risk. Having a cell phone is in no way a minor thing. As for tobacco and drugs, Smoking is still allowed in PA prisons, so they do sell it on commissary. Marijuana, sorry but whether you are for or against it, it is STILL illegal and carries SEVERE penalties if caught with it. As with any other drug. I understand sometimes they have to do certain things to get by, but there are things they can do that are not as bad. Money, money, money, I hear it so ofter. If a man is still that concerned with having a lot of money in prison, that there is something wrong and it should be a huge red flag. A man can live comfortably on little money, that is a fact. They do not need hundreds of dollars to survive in prison. They do not have bills to pay, other than cable if they choose to have it, they do not pay rent, they do get 3 meals a day even if they are horrible. There are things they do need to buy, but in all honesty, the majority of what a prisoner buys is pretty much not necessity.
In my opinion, if a guy is breaking major rules, and trust me things such as cell phone and tobacco and drugs are major rules, than to me they are just thumbing their nose at the system still. They haven't learned anything. Once again, you can do time without a big huge hustle going on, it is possible and it isn't that hard. But one has to see error in their ways, and obviously if they are breaking major rules, they see no error in their ways. They can hand me all the excuses in the world for their behavior, but that is all it is, excuses and you know the saying, excuses are like a$$holes, everybody has one...........
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have left".

"What a long, strange trip it's been"



Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xgot420issuesx For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (05-20-2010), GipsieTiger (05-19-2010), GoodBI_girl (05-21-2010), justcurious2009 (05-19-2010)
  #9  
Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 PM
KeithsWifeyxOx KeithsWifeyxOx is offline
Banned
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 2,699
Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgot420issuesx View Post
Rules are rules, it doesn't matter if you agree with them or not. There is a very good reason why cell phones are not allowed in prisons, it is a HUGE security risk. Having a cell phone is in no way a minor thing. As for tobacco and drugs, Smoking is still allowed in PA prisons, so they do sell it on commissary. Marijuana, sorry but whether you are for or against it, it is STILL illegal and carries SEVERE penalties if caught with it. As with any other drug. I understand sometimes they have to do certain things to get by, but there are things they can do that are not as bad. Money, money, money, I hear it so ofter. If a man is still that concerned with having a lot of money in prison, that there is something wrong and it should be a huge red flag. A man can live comfortably on little money, that is a fact. They do not need hundreds of dollars to survive in prison. They do not have bills to pay, other than cable if they choose to have it, they do not pay rent, they do get 3 meals a day even if they are horrible. There are things they do need to buy, but in all honesty, the majority of what a prisoner buys is pretty much not necessity.
In my opinion, if a guy is breaking major rules, and trust me things such as cell phone and tobacco and drugs are major rules, than to me they are just thumbing their nose at the system still. They haven't learned anything. Once again, you can do time without a big huge hustle going on, it is possible and it isn't that hard. But one has to see error in their ways, and obviously if they are breaking major rules, they see no error in their ways. They can hand me all the excuses in the world for their behavior, but that is all it is, excuses and you know the saying, excuses are like a$$holes, everybody has one...........
Yeah but the question was if they DO get caught up in those small charges will they continue to do so when they get out...Which I think is a totally different story. Obviously if a loved one compromises his sentence, parole, or their release date by getting involved with things like that, then there's reason to be upset...But I'm highly doubting if a man has a cell phone in there or smokes a joint that he's going to be a hardass criminal when he gets out. I do have different views on Marijuana, and it's actually almost legal in my state, but that's about the only minor thing I would worry about him doing in there because on the outs it can compromise parole. As for everything else...Smoking, cell phones, other hustles...I just cannot buy that little things like that can determine how their lifestyle will play on the outs. I'm definitely one to believe that they don't deserve to be in wonderland since they got THEMSELVES in the position they're in, but I also do recognize how hard things must be.

Say there was a 50 year old man in there, no family that can help out, no friends, no money, not shit. No way to get cantine, no way to get anything but a dollar job a week...Would you blame that man for finding an under-the-table hustle and providing for him and those in need? I sure as hell wouldn't. Getting involved in nasty and violent behavior is one thing, and even consistent disregard of small rules can grow cause for concern, but if a man is trying to find a way to feed himself some decent food instead of the raunchy crap they serve, and talk to his kids or wife once in awhile by getting a hustle, more power to him.

Also, I never send Keith money and he DOES live on little, BUT you cannot comfortably live on little money in most prisons. They charge RIDICULOUS amounts for deodorant, packaged food, and other necessities. Not to mention things we take for granted like a television set that still has a turn dial on there is about 300$ and a simple walkman is 30$. Those aren't things you NEED, but you do need some form of entertainment to live comfortably. Maybe it's just more expensive in Mass, who knows, but I know when I've gotten the list for my brother in the past (from the prison themselves) everything is EXTREMELY expensive including food. Prison life is not cheap by any means, even dismissing the phone charges and things they don't need.

Last edited by KeithsWifeyxOx; 05-19-2010 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
xgot420issuesx's Avatar
xgot420issuesx xgot420issuesx is offline
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,983
Thanks: 2,178
Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,607 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsWifeyxOx View Post
Yeah but the question was if they DO get caught up in those small charges will they continue to do so when they get out...Which I think is a totally different story. Obviously if a loved one compromises his sentence, parole, or their release date by getting involved with things like that, then there's reason to be upset...But I'm highly doubting if a man has a cell phone in there or smokes a joint that he's going to be a hardass criminal when he gets out. I do have different views on Marijuana, and it's actually almost legal in my state, but that's about the only minor thing I would worry about him doing in there because on the outs it can compromise parole. As for everything else...Smoking, cell phones, other hustles...I just cannot buy that little things like that can determine how their lifestyle will play on the outs. I'm definitely one to believe that they don't deserve to be in wonderland since they got THEMSELVES in the position they're in, but I also do recognize how hard things must be.

Say there was a 50 year old man in there, no family that can help out, no friends, no money, not shit. No way to get cantine, no way to get anything but a dollar job a week...Would you blame that man for finding an under-the-table hustle and providing for him and those in need? I sure as hell wouldn't. Getting involved in nasty and violent behavior is one thing, and even consistent disregard of small rules can grow cause for concern, but if a man is trying to find a way to feed himself some decent food instead of the raunchy crap they serve, and talk to his kids or wife once in awhile by getting a hustle, more power to him.

Also, I never send Keith money and he DOES live on little, BUT you cannot comfortably live on little money in most prisons. They charge RIDICULOUS amounts for deodorant, packaged food, and other necessities. Not to mention things we take for granted like a television set that still has a turn dial on there is about 300$ and a simple walkman is 30$. Those aren't things you NEED, but you do need some form of entertainment to live comfortably. Maybe it's just more expensive in Mass, who knows, but I know when I've gotten the list for my brother in the past (from the prison themselves) everything is EXTREMELY expensive including food. Prison life is not cheap by any means, even dismissing the phone charges and things they don't need.
Yes, I do see it as an indication of future behavior. If the only thing a guy knows is to hustle, odds are, that habit isn't going to change UNLESS they want to. But habits are very hard to break and if a guy is still hustling in prison, you can bet the habit isn't going to die easy once he is released. It has become his first instinct, to do what he must to survive or maintain a lifestyle they are accustomed to.

Michael can hustle the best of them, one thing Michael is good at is the scam or the hustle. He lived extremely well when he was in county. But when he got sent upstate, he even told me, if he didn't stop, he was never going to get out, and if he didn't change his ways and live honest, he would be in and out of prison for the rest of his life. I know he can make it through prison without any help from me, the thing is, he doesn't have to and he doesn't want to. He realized his times of scamming and hustling are OVER, State time is NO joke and he wanted to better himself so he doesn't become just another recidivism statistic.
I know we don't like to think any of our guys are going to come out and do anything bad, but the sad fact of the matter is, MOST guys will and it all has to do with how they have been conditioned to survive, and once it is a habit, once it is in them, this is most likely the way they will continue to live their lives. It is another sad part of being institutionalized. Do I think Michael will do his best, I sure do, but do I also think odds are he will end up back in prison, I must. I must respect the fact that practically his whole adult life has been spent in and out of jail and prison, that is all he knows, so the odds are stacked against him because of it. But I also take into consideration how he has chosen to do this time, and it has been good. So that is what gives me hope and why I have so much faith in him, because of his actions.

I am a firm believer, you can tell what one will be like when they come home by how they do their time.

One other thing, I also believe Marijuana should be legalized, I do not smoke it, but I am a supporter of legalizing it. But as long as it is against the law, that is the way it is, and it can bring a whole new charge to an inmate, so they have a lot more to lose than a person on the street getting caught smoking a joint does.
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have left".

"What a long, strange trip it's been"




Last edited by xgot420issuesx; 05-19-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xgot420issuesx For This Useful Post:
boflipflops36 (05-19-2010), KeithsWifeyxOx (05-19-2010)
  #11  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM
alwayslovinghim alwayslovinghim is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: on row street
Posts: 538
Thanks: 130
Thanked 372 Times in 254 Posts
Default

get a copy of there commissary list, they don't get fresh veggies, lean meat, whole grain, multi-vitamins, etc. etc. so what they eat of the commisary list is equavalent to the food they already cook, the difference is one will allow them the luxury of not having to go to the chow hall but the food is not better..... the 50 year old man needs to hustle for nothing.... I am sorry there was period where I couldn't send hubby any money but he survived and he is diabetic.... he still saw te dr. and got medicine with no money, food to eat, they actually have to feed him better food because of his diabetes, but if he were able to go see a specailist, get organic food, a private room with phone it, then I would say hustle away, but the qualtiy of living is still the same with or with out money.... and yes if he breaks small less trivial rules, then he will break big ones.. it is a clear indicator of how he will be when he gets home... think about like this.... think of the worst palce on earth to you, now imagine being there for a period of time not by your free will, but you were told that if you follow x y and z rules you could get out but if not you could run the risk of staying longer.... believe its a no brainer, i am following all the rules.... I got a family to get back to... people who don't feel that why in prison, imo, are immature and irresponsible running from adulthood.. they like being told what to do. and the last but VERY important thing is my man is straight and has to be surrounded by men 24/7, now if he is running the risk of spending even another second with them then what he has too and is not trying to get home to this lovin would make be wonder..... I know things happen about getting in trouble, but he if gets in to trouble for something other defending his self then I am through, I don't have time to waste because he thinks he likes in there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 AM
BlueEyedEllie BlueEyedEllie is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: pa., usa
Posts: 11,670
Thanks: 33,135
Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Default

you can't teach a pig to sing in a day,if ever,and some of the inmates,hustling is so deeply entrenched,unless they put forth HUGE efforts,chances are they will keep on doing what they're doing.If they are selling drugs inside,or using drugs inside to me the chances of them staying clean in society are VERY VERY slim.To me,the harder they work to change themselves while IN prison,the better chance they have of making it out here.and yes,i agree with xx,cellphones ARE a huge security risk!!It slightly puzzles me how some think,well acknowledge their loved ones are acting like complete idiots inside,but fully expect them to fly straight when they come out.change is HARD.believe me,I KNOW,and i've never spent one minute in prison.Like the saying goes,"to do the same thing over and over yet expect a different result is a form of insanity.."(not exactly how that saying goes,i forget the exact wording...)there is also the saying,"If nothing changes,nothing changes..."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 AM
pisces317's Avatar
pisces317 pisces317 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 2,361
Thanks: 4,486
Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,131 Posts
Default

HEY IF THEY WERE HUSTLERS OUTSIDE changing cuz they went to jail sounds insane,some guys who get tired of going in and out of jail might work harder on themselves not to be doing illegal things other's say to themselves WELL ONLY WHILE I'M HERE FOR SURVIVAL REASONS ,OTHER'S DON'T HAVE SUPPORT SO THIS IS THEIR MEANS TO GET BY,i'm not saying it's right i'm just saying it happens more often than none.my brother went to jail for drugs and came home and started working,so it shows they can change if they want to
__________________
:\i'm still here pto
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pisces317 For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (05-20-2010)
  #14  
Old 05-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Wobabi Wobabi is offline
Account Closed
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: He's Home
Posts: 11,993
Thanks: 9,269
Thanked 12,841 Times in 4,101 Posts
Default

If anyone thinks their man is not breaking rules in prison they are sadly mistaken. Even if its as small as taking fruit out the chow hall
I don't think we have room to judge anyone's man if our own men are breaking rules, getting box time or even getting more time added to their sentence,,,,really no room at all
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-20-2010, 03:05 PM
NoOne1994 NoOne1994 is offline
Banned
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ///////////////
Posts: 2,908
Thanks: 2,843
Thanked 3,761 Times in 1,601 Posts
Default

Its a case by case situation and it depends on the individual really.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-20-2010, 03:40 PM
secondtimer secondtimer is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 608
Thanks: 126
Thanked 417 Times in 260 Posts
Default

There is one thing to have a good hustle such as cutting hair, writing poems, drawing for others to help get some extra cash. But it plays into a whole other ball game when one decides to do illegal things while incarcerated. Not only do they jeopardize their own freedom but the people they are selling to also, Never mind both families feeling the angst of the consequences. They found a way to do it inside they probably will when they get out.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondtimer For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (05-21-2010)
  #17  
Old 05-20-2010, 03:48 PM
chelseagreg1427 chelseagreg1427 is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: usa
Posts: 2,833
Thanks: 2,960
Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,717 Posts
Default

if he cant stop doing that stuff when hes in a place that serves him food and gives him a bed, then why the hell would he stop when he has even more responsibilities?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
KeithsWifeyxOx KeithsWifeyxOx is offline
Banned
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: .
Posts: 2,417
Thanks: 2,699
Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,236 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobabi View Post
If anyone thinks their man is not breaking rules in prison they are sadly mistaken. Even if its as small as taking fruit out the chow hall
I don't think we have room to judge anyone's man if our own men are breaking rules, getting box time or even getting more time added to their sentence,,,,really no room at all

So true!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM
PTO-97580 PTO-97580 is offline
-----------------
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,570
Thanks: 1,292
Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts
Default

I spent 3 years in a Fed FCI and I can tell you it mirrors society on the outside. As Wobabi mentioned, Everyone and I mean everyone I saw, broke some kind of rule. Something as little as stealing fruit from the chow Hall all the way up to having sex with Female CO's and hustling dope. It is what it is, those that take the biggest chances get the biggest punisnment and it's no different when they get outside. It's the same out here.

BTW Cell phones are a huge risk inside. New charges with long sentences in many jusisdictions
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-20-2010, 07:49 PM
ladyelise's Avatar
ladyelise ladyelise is offline
Registered Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sicily, Italy
Posts: 788
Thanks: 1
Thanked 700 Times in 331 Posts
Default

I think that's an excellent question, considering NOT following some kind of rules is what got them sent to prison in the first place. Why be worried about money, they are not paying rent, food, or even medical? It's folks homeless, hungry and work everyday that can't afford any medical. I would think if you wanted out of prison as fast as possible why run the risk of staying there longer. So yes, I do believe that "how" they serve their time is indicative of how they will behave once they are released.
Good thred Blue!
Ciao,
Lady E
__________________
Never Make Someone a Priority in Your Life,
When to them all you are is an OPTION!:love:
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ladyelise For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (05-21-2010)
  #21  
Old 05-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Rox73's Avatar
Rox73 Rox73 is offline
...
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,113
Thanks: 659
Thanked 1,357 Times in 379 Posts
Default

My husband had a few hustles going on when he was in, plus he had a job in there.

When he got out he tried finding legal hustles (like on the internet) but he hasn't done anything illegal since he's been out. He was in prison for 13 years and MOST of that time he had some kind of hustle going on (a store, poker tables and such) because he didn't have any financial support from the outside..... I wasn't in a position to help him much.

So in my experience - no. Being a hustler on the inside doesn't mean he's going to do the same when he gets out.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rox73 For This Useful Post:
Wobabi (05-21-2010), xgot420issuesx (05-21-2010)
  #22  
Old 05-21-2010, 05:42 AM
xgot420issuesx's Avatar
xgot420issuesx xgot420issuesx is offline
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,983
Thanks: 2,178
Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,607 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZsWife View Post
My husband had a few hustles going on when he was in, plus he had a job in there.

When he got out he tried finding legal hustles (like on the internet) but he hasn't done anything illegal since he's been out. He was in prison for 13 years and MOST of that time he had some kind of hustle going on (a store, poker tables and such) because he didn't have any financial support from the outside..... I wasn't in a position to help him much.

So in my experience - no. Being a hustler on the inside doesn't mean he's going to do the same when he gets out.
I would like to ask you a question. You hit on something I pointed out in my earlier post. So you are the perfect person to ask.
My question is, do you find these types of hustles to be different that lets say selling dope?
As I pointed out earlier, there are some husltes, that honestly, if they aren't going to get mor etime added on, that is one thing. But it is the guys who are STILL in there doing bad things, selling dope, having cell phones and such. These are the types of behaviors that if they aren't changing in prison, they aren't going to change when released.

There are plenty of less shall we say illegal ways to hustle money in prison. Drawing things, cutting hair, I know of a guy who does laundry for inmates and makes money that way. I do not see these behaviors as being criminal. I see them as being behaviors that are just well ...... human. Nothing bad about them.

Do you think the bad ones like drugs are different behavior?

__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have left".

"What a long, strange trip it's been"



Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xgot420issuesx For This Useful Post:
  #23  
Old 05-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Rox73's Avatar
Rox73 Rox73 is offline
...
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,113
Thanks: 659
Thanked 1,357 Times in 379 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgot420issuesx View Post
I would like to ask you a question. You hit on something I pointed out in my earlier post. So you are the perfect person to ask.
My question is, do you find these types of hustles to be different that lets say selling dope?
As I pointed out earlier, there are some husltes, that honestly, if they aren't going to get mor etime added on, that is one thing. But it is the guys who are STILL in there doing bad things, selling dope, having cell phones and such. These are the types of behaviors that if they aren't changing in prison, they aren't going to change when released.

There are plenty of less shall we say illegal ways to hustle money in prison. Drawing things, cutting hair, I know of a guy who does laundry for inmates and makes money that way. I do not see these behaviors as being criminal. I see them as being behaviors that are just well ...... human. Nothing bad about them.

Do you think the bad ones like drugs are different behavior?

I can only go by what my husband tells me about prison and what he's been like after he got out - I know he did some of the worse rule-breaking in there too, although I prefer not to list those activities on a public forum. Since *he* did this in there and doesn't out here I have formed the opinion that rule-breaking in prison doesn't mean anything when it comes to outside behavior and I seriously doubt he's much different from your regular ex-con. I chose not to tell him how he should do his time because I trusted him to do what he chose to do in there and ALSO out here - and he has not betrayed that trust so far.

What HE says is this (in his words, see quotation marks):

"If people think that their man never breaks any rules in prison they're either delusional and/or they're being lied to. And it's not an indicator of what he will do once released - after parole was up I have been in contact with some of my former bunkies/people I was cool with (he doesn't call many people "friends"), who have successfully completed parole and are leading normal lives with legit jobs, and they ALL broke the rules in some form or another back then, both serious ones and minor ones. What matters the MOST - and this I learned early on - is if you're respectful to staff. If you take the stance that you "hate the cops" you're going to get write-ups/hole-time no matter how much you try to follow the rules. If you get along with staff you will get away with running a store, smoking in your room or whatever. So someone having a lot of tickets/hole-time doesn't mean much either - he may or may not be breaking more rules than the next inmate. And btw. you don't do laundry for other inmates unless you want to be labelled a punk/bitch/sissy - not an easy label to live with in prison.

For the people who say you can live on little or no money in prison: toothpaste, soap, deodorant, stamps to write home.... all these things cost money. If you don't have help from the outside you hustle. Period. If you think you can survive year after year after year on food your dog wouldn't eat.... well, then you have no idea what you're talking about."

(My words now):
*My* opinion is that there are other reasons for high recidivism rates.

Last edited by Rox73; 05-21-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rox73 For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (05-21-2010), xgot420issuesx (05-21-2010)
  #24  
Old 05-21-2010, 07:04 AM
BlueEyedEllie BlueEyedEllie is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: pa., usa
Posts: 11,670
Thanks: 33,135
Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZsWife View Post
I can only go by what my husband tells me about prison and what he's been like after he got out - I know he did some of the worse rule-breaking in there too, although I prefer not to list those activities on a public forum. Since *he* did this in there and doesn't out here I have formed the opinion that rule-breaking in prison doesn't mean anything when it comes to outside behavior and I seriously doubt he's much different from your regular ex-con. I chose not to tell him how he should do his time because I trusted him to do what he chose to do in there and ALSO out here - and he has not betrayed that trust so far.

What HE says is this (in his words, see quotation marks):

"If people think that their man never breaks any rules in prison they're either delusional and/or they're being lied to. And it's not an indicator of what he will do once released - after parole was up I have been in contact with some of my former bunkies/people I was cool with (he doesn't call many people "friends"), who have successfully completed parole and are leading normal lives with legit jobs, and they ALL broke the rules in some form or another back then, both serious ones and minor ones. What matters the MOST - and this I learned early on - is if you're respectful to staff. If you take the stance that you "hate the cops" you're going to get write-ups/hole-time no matter how much you try to follow the rules. If you get along with staff you will get away with running a store, smoking in your room or whatever. So someone having a lot of tickets/hole-time doesn't mean much either - he may or may not be breaking more rules than the next inmate. And btw. you don't do laundry for other inmates unless you want to be labelled a punk/bitch/sissy - not an easy label to live with in prison.

For the people who say you can live on little or no money in prison: toothpaste, soap, deodorant, stamps to write home.... all these things cost money. If you don't have help from the outside you hustle. Period. If you think you can survive year after year after year on food your dog wouldn't eat.... well, then you have no idea what you're talking about."

(My words now):
*My* opinion is that there are other reasons for high recidivism rates.
girl,seriously,i think you need to write a book!!!!sometimes you REALLY make me think.Now my man cut hair and traded chicken for things he needed.so i guess that is hustling,too.Thanks for helping to take a step back and really think about this.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-21-2010, 07:24 AM
xgot420issuesx's Avatar
xgot420issuesx xgot420issuesx is offline
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,983
Thanks: 2,178
Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,607 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZsWife View Post
I can only go by what my husband tells me about prison and what he's been like after he got out - I know he did some of the worse rule-breaking in there too, although I prefer not to list those activities on a public forum. Since *he* did this in there and doesn't out here I have formed the opinion that rule-breaking in prison doesn't mean anything when it comes to outside behavior and I seriously doubt he's much different from your regular ex-con. I chose not to tell him how he should do his time because I trusted him to do what he chose to do in there and ALSO out here - and he has not betrayed that trust so far.

What HE says is this (in his words, see quotation marks):

"If people think that their man never breaks any rules in prison they're either delusional and/or they're being lied to. And it's not an indicator of what he will do once released - after parole was up I have been in contact with some of my former bunkies/people I was cool with (he doesn't call many people "friends"), who have successfully completed parole and are leading normal lives with legit jobs, and they ALL broke the rules in some form or another back then, both serious ones and minor ones. What matters the MOST - and this I learned early on - is if you're respectful to staff. If you take the stance that you "hate the cops" you're going to get write-ups/hole-time no matter how much you try to follow the rules. If you get along with staff you will get away with running a store, smoking in your room or whatever. So someone having a lot of tickets/hole-time doesn't mean much either - he may or may not be breaking more rules than the next inmate. And btw. you don't do laundry for other inmates unless you want to be labelled a punk/bitch/sissy - not an easy label to live with in prison.

For the people who say you can live on little or no money in prison: toothpaste, soap, deodorant, stamps to write home.... all these things cost money. If you don't have help from the outside you hustle. Period. If you think you can survive year after year after year on food your dog wouldn't eat.... well, then you have no idea what you're talking about."

(My words now):
*My* opinion is that there are other reasons for high recidivism rates.

I guess we can both go by what our husbands tell us. I also like to go by statistics also though. I know damn well my husband has had a few hustles going on, in my opinion, minor stuff. But in both our opinions there is a line that can be crossed as to what is acceptable and what isn't. He chose to do his state time minus the hustling. Yes, I took care of him well, but even when times got too hard to take care of him, he borrowed money from someone outside of prison to get him through for a few months. There is a good reason why I chose to take care of him instead of having him hustle his way through prison, and that was to help him, to help him do his time, to help him straighten his head out and his life. I would go broke again in a heartbeat to help him. And it did help him, he didn't have to worry eveyday how he was going to live, where he was going to get basic necessities. If he were always worrying about that, when would he have time to work on what was most important, himself.

As for the laundry thing, I could care less what they refer to the guy as, my husband has nice clean clothes to wear, that is all I care about. I don't personally know the guy, I only know OF him because my husband has mentioned the guy who does his laundry. So yeah, the guy may have a label, but he makes A LOT of money doing it. Michael has never spoken bad about the guy so it really makes no difference to me. Where he is, it is a good side job to have. Against the rules yes, but illegal, no.

As I said, I am only talking about the totally illegal things that bring added time and new charges. Lets say a guy is in prison for dealing drugs, he goes to prison and he is still dealing drugs, honestly, what lesson was really learned? In my opinion, NONE.

Once again, a guy can go to prison and do just fine without committing new crimes to get by. That is, if they want to. As a society, we are so used to living outside our means, it is no different in prison.
I was living on $600.00 a month, with 3 kids for quite a while. Did I start selling drugs or doing other illegal activities to get by, hell no. My kids had everything they needed, most of the stuff they wanted and are happy children. We don't live in a mansion, but we do however live in a nice little apartment. We get by, and it has taught them well. We do not live outside our means, so there is no need to break the law. Did I plan on our life ending up that way, no, but it did so we made the best of it. Did Michael plan on going to prison, no, but he made the best of it without resulting to criminal activity.

Of course there are people who can do time and get out and never go back. Of course there are people who can come out and live a good life. But there is also statistics that tell you, the majority of the time, this isn't true. There will always be exceptions to the rule. If all you have ever known is being a criminal, the odds are not on your side.
__________________
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have left".

"What a long, strange trip it's been"



Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xgot420issuesx For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics