Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 08-01-2004, 01:00 PM

Location: Originally Maine, then MA, NY and now back in New Englad area

Nuro's Wife,

I ABSOLUTELY understand your feelings about delays due to paperwork. Let me explain why I think these things happen (in every state I suspect). When your talking about State or even Federal Corrections, money and budgets are always an issue. The fact is, in almost every state in the US Community Corrections (Probation and Parole) are under staffed and the PO's have way more clients than any 1 person could handle. Often a delay is simply because the PO in the field has a full plate and there are human issues that delay things, such as trying to reach a potential sponsor at home (unannounced as it should be) or getting the paperwork (police reports, court documents, criminal history) in some states just criminal history can take a month. Then there is the LAZY PO or other DOC government worker that simply see's your loved one as a BAD person and they see no urgency in even meeting a deadline. I am sorry those people exsist. I reccommend you read the Newly Approved Interstate Compact and use it to your mans advantage. Good Luck

http://www.adultcompact.org

Last edited by Searcher; 08-01-2004 at 01:22 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2004, 01:17 PM

Doe,

From what you wrote, it sounds to me that your states legislators will have to consider this issue if a client can't be determined as having Parole granted more than a month out. The wording of the new compact is "120 days prior to the offender's PLANNED prison release date". Then it says, referring to notification to recieving state ""or if recommendation for parole of the offender has been withdrawn or denied".
So, for example, every state that signed into the compact (all but MASS) should have planned for this issue if they did not have a release plan 120 days prior to actual parole date.
I'd reccomend your loved one discuss this with his he Parole Board contact within the prison. http://www.adultcompact.org

Last edited by Searcher; 08-01-2004 at 01:23 PM..
Old 08-01-2004, 08:57 PM

Thank you Searcher I appreciate it so much. You are very kind to do this research for us.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:24 AM

Searcher, I sure wish you was here in Texas, I would love to have you be my sons PO.!Its a shame that you have to applogize for some of the very lazy, nasty ones out there. I am afraid I am dealing with one of them right now with my son. Thank goodness we do have a few nice ones like you out there. I have always been a law abiding person,why I don't even have a parking ticket against me. Thats why this whole thing just makes me so crazy I guess. Oregon seems to be dragging their feet. When Texas gets his paper work I have no idea as to what will happen there either. Just sitting in limbo is unnerving. I did get an email from a Don blackburn, executive director it said he was. He stated that my sons case should be of mandatory acceptance. But thats if they send his paper work out. So here we go, one person is standing between my sons getting home. I was as nice as pie to this guy when he called me. But he insisted on trying to berate me and my son in this conversation. I feel he is being unfair about all this, but I also know there is nothing that can be done at this point, except wait. I think I am going to try to go to my state rep. with all my paper work, I have copies of everything, names dates, the whole nine yards. I even sat down and typed out the conversation this guy had with me. Something needs to be done about these lazy uncaring counslers that is in the system. They are there to help these guys not go back to prison. Then they wonder why there are so many of them going back, they have either a bad po or a bad counsler. The sysytem is very broken! whew had to get that off my chest. thank you again for all your info
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 AM

Hang in there!!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Joey's Angel

I was just wondering if there is any way to find out who my husbands PO might be when he is released. how are they assigned? Does it matter how long we have been married before he puts in the compact paper work? Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Carebear1; 08-02-2004 at 12:58 PM..
Old 08-02-2004, 03:21 PM

No, the compact does not set a standard for length of marriage. PO are normally assigned by geographics, i.e. cities, counties, and last names. For example, 1 PO supervises clients who's last name begin with S (Smith) that reside in a certain geography. There may be a few other methods but this is the one I see the most frequent.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:53 AM

Greetings from Nebraska

My husband is in NC...he goes up for parole Sept. 7, 2004 [he was sentenced under "Fair Sentencing", so goes up every year in September] He/we intend for him to be transferred to NE where our daughter and i reside, work and own our home. I have talked to Interstate Compact here in NE and they said that since this is our home they see no problems with him transferring to Ne. So now for the questions...
1] Does he go ahead and request Interstate Compact now...before we know if he will get paroled?

2] if so...who does he contact? His caseworker there at the prison? Parole case analyst? Parole commissioners?

[in the state of NC the inmate does not meet with anyone...the commisioners just go by what is in the file]

3] Since he intends to transfer to NE can he request to fill out the information in advance so everything is documented and ready?

4] i am not understanding this 120 days? Can you please explain this?

Thanks!
Rebecca
Old 08-03-2004, 05:14 AM

Answer:
1. He should start the proccess as soon as NC allows him to.
2. Speak to his case manager or simliar person, I'm sure they can explain the process to him.
3. That depends on how NC handles Parolee's wishing to transfer out of state.
4. The compact simply states they want no less than 120 days to investigate. In some cases, inmates will have to sit in prison while the investigation is being completed if their states Parole system doesn't have a projected release date 120 days out.

Your husband can get the first 3 questions can by asking the officials in the NC prison. I can assure you he isn't the first inmate wanting to be released to another state. Read the Compact rules on this site as it may help. http://www.adultcompact.org
Old 08-06-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Is this just for people up for parole?

Hi
This is the first time I have heard of the interstate compact. My friend in IL has a little over a year left and wants to get moved to NC. I think he thinks he can switch to a North Carolina prison to finish his sentence. He asked me to research the interstate compact for him. If this is just for parole I don't think it will do him any good right this moment. Who in his prison should he contact to get the necessary infomation? And if the interstate compact won't get him to NC where his family is, is there another program that anyone knows of that will allow interstate transfer? I want to help him as best I can. He is stuck up in IL with no family support. Thanks for any help y'all can offer.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:05 PM

Interstate compact are rules every state but MA follows for Parole or Probation once they are in the community and want to locate to another state. As for wanting to move from one state prison to another, I never heard of any state allowing inmates to move at will. I know they trade 1 for 1 for security or other reasons. Read the above Interstate Compact link in my above post.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Yoeys Mom

Default Son paroled in KY

My son was paroled in Kentucky 62 days ago, he is requesting to be paroled to Mississippi (where his entire family is). Mississippi just adopted the Compact law on Aug 1,2004. Will my son fall under this new law, or is it only for inmates paroled after Aug.1,2004?
Old 08-10-2004, 06:42 PM

It is retro, if effects anyone on Probation or Parole status period. Keep in mind as the compact rules state (address is in several above post) it is up to his state to allow him to transfer, no probationer or parolee has any legal right to transfer. FYI. This is a rule in the compact, I supose there could be a state that has it's own legislation stating they do have this right but that would be exlusive to the state.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:44 PM

Searcher: Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to say THANK YOU for answering my questions about transferring my brother-in-law from CA to UT. I thought they had built an awfully big 'loophole' into the agreement by allowing states to accept transfer requests even if they don't meet all of the qualifications. It will be interesting to see how the state of UT interprets the new compact agreement.

In your last post, you stated that it's up to the transferring state to decide whether or not to allow the transfer. Can you give me any examples why a state would deny a transfer out? Especially CA!!

How do we go about starting the transfer request process? Is it through the PO? Or some other CA Corrections office? If it is the PO's duty to process the transfer requests..... I really feel for them (you!) I've seen the list of documentation required and it must be ALOT of work to put it all together. Hmmmm.... maybe that would be one reason to deny a request; they just simply don't have time to process all the paperwork! After reading about the parole/probation stats here in CA, I could certainly understand.

Thanks again for your time.....
Old 08-11-2004, 05:54 AM

sdkatz,

Your welcome,

I can't speak for California directly but a few reason to not allow someone to transfer out of state even if they meet the qualifications are the following:

1. A past history of failed community supervision whether it be Probation or Parole, thus the high risk of having to go pick up the client who transferred (and it's at the sending states cost).
2. A high restitution or court cost due as many clients will "forget" about this when thier gone and because the sending state is responsible for collection many times the recieving state doesn't put enough pressure to pay.
3. The sentencing judge ordered a state specific treatment program that isn't offered in other states.
4. The Probationer or Parolee are high risk and have a past abscodance on thier record.
5. This one pay not sound fair but, the Probation or Parole Officer supervising the client has a history with the client and simply feels he/she wants to have jurisdiction over the client because they feel the client is high risk and they are knowledgable history that enables the PO to catch the client messing up. Or to put it in another way, the PO thinks the client is a dirt bag and wants the chance to violate them. This is unproffesional to me, but try to convince the PO's boss of this. The PO will simply explaine why he/she is better informed and familiar with the client to better supervise them.

As for who the client submits it to, this could be different from state to state. All request go through each states Compact Officer but normally start through the PO or if incarserated then a IPO in the jail or other admin person. It will be a PO who investigates the proposes transfer but perhaps not make the unltimate decision (depends on state). The Compact Administrator may decide after reading the PO's investigation.

The time it takes to process is certainly not a reason to deny or discourage someone from submitting one, its part of the job responsibilties. But, I'm sure there are lazy PO's out there as I know a few. Speaking of that, I'm late for work..gotta go, hope I answered your question. Perhaps someone else has something to add.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:02 PM

I have a question on how long an out of state transfer should take from Texas to Louisiana? The parole officer has had the paperwork on his desk for over 2 weeks now and says he is to busy to get to them. However, he keeps driving by our house and has time to do that...We want to move for 2 reasons. Actually 3. My husbands family is in Louisiana, he has had a good job offer that would get our family off of government help, and we already have a house there. The parole officer is telling us it could take 6 months. The compact office says 6-8 weeks total, and the Louisiana parole office says that it should take 4-6 weeks. I am about ready to scream. I have sold the house my grandma left to me, and at the same time I was putting pen to paper, the parole officer was telling my husband 6 months. I do not know what to do, but I know if you want to be talked to like dirt, just call the parole office. They say the house thing is our problem, and we should have reported this 6 months ago. 6 months ago we had no plans of moving! His parole packet says to give 30 days for a change of residence, which is what he did, and now they say he should have known better. He is up to date on all his fees, never failed a UA, is at work everyday even when he is sick, and is home every night with his family. I have 3 kids from my first marriage, my ex signed his rights over, and the same judge that sent my husband to prison, gave him the rights as their legal father in our adoption hearing just last month. The judge does that and then the parole officer tells me that Louisiana might not want a felon in there state. I do not understand. He is giving my husband 1 travel permit this weekend so we can get most of our stuff up there, but he said once yall get back there will be no more travel permits untill Louisiana says yes you can go. Does the officer have full run on how long he has to get my husbands papers to Austin to get the ball rolling, or can he just continue to take his time in this to make sure it does take 6 months so that job my husband can go to work for now, will be filled by the time he gets there? Prison reform??? I do not see it from where I sit, and as far as what I have read in here a lot of other people feel the same way. How can you do better if you are not allowed?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:45 AM

Unfortunately, you're at his mercy. What I normally suggest to people when dealing with difficult people is to put in a written request explaining exactly what you wrote here. Send the written request to the P.O. and cc his immediate supervisor. So that it doesn't appear as though you are going over his head, cause you definitely don't want to make him mad, put it in the form that you are confirming the telephone call, and sending a copy of the letter to his supervisor also makes someone else aware of what's going on, if this guy is not on the up and up. Plus, it creates a paper trail. And as I stated in other threads, folk hate paper trails.

Thank you for meeting with us on _______ concerning the out of state transfer. As discussed, we were informed that it could possibly take 6 months to complete the paperwork. I spoke with both the compact office and LA Parole and was told that the process normally takes 6 to 8 weeks, and I'd like to know if there is any way possible to shorten the 6 months in order to expedite the transfer. My husband has a good job offer, which I'm afraid may no longer be available if he has to wait 6 months. Having stable employment, plus the strong family support in Louisiana would greatly increase my husband's chances of a successful parole, and remove my family from government assistance.

[Now play the damsel in distress]
"If there is anything you or Mr. Supervisor can do to assist us in expediting the transfer, I'd greatly appreciate it."

By incorporating the supervisor's assistance, this makes it look as though that's why you cc'd him, rather than making it look as though you were telling on him, which is what you're doing. LOL! Find out who the supervising parole agent is by calling the main # and ask for the name of the supervising P.O.

Basically, you have to put yourself at his mercy. Make him think the ball is in his court, which it actually is. My motto..... a roaring lion will purr like a kitten if you stroke him the right way. So make him think you "need" him. Yes... I know it's a humbling experience, but hey.... Louisiana is waiting!

Good Luck!

Last edited by NuBeginning; 08-19-2004 at 02:17 AM..
Old 08-19-2004, 07:22 AM

Thank you so much for your reply NuBeginning! This whole thing has been a hair pulling experience for all of us. I had pretty much let everything get to me last night when I posted the last thread, but you are right..Louisiana is waiting.
I wanted to let you know that I did contact his supervisor, but it was not in letter form..(did I really mess up?) She was not a very nice person, which I do relieze that rome was not built in a day, and this might take some time, but we just needed a general time period with so many stories floating around. I had also asked my husbands PO if there was anything I could do to make any of this go faster, and of course Mr smarty pants told me no, not unless you become a parole officer. I am just scared, because he seems to be the kind of person that does not do well at all with a little power behind him.
Should I go ahead a send the letters since it has already been said either on the phone or in person? I will wait to hear before I send....Ty very much for the outline too!
I have to agree with what someone said in another thread, I know they are busy, but would getting this done not free him up a little to get one case out of his way lol.
This has been very stressful not only us and the kids, but his parents as well. Knowing their are people out here that understand is a huge comfort!
Old 08-19-2004, 12:14 PM

I'd have to say NuBeginning pretty much covered it, in that, "your at his/her mercy" unless a State DOC has a policy that covers a time frame a request must be acted on (I doubt many if any do) then you can only wait. Apparently speaking to the supervisor was not fruitful. If you feel the dam has been opened already by speaking to the supervisor I write a letter simliar to what NuBeginning posted and send it the the REGIONAL SUPERVISOR (check your states corrections web site for who is listed as the top supervisor for your region/county or whatever and send it to that person). The person you spoke to might not have been anything more than a field supervisor (perhaps the same person the PO has lunch with). Also, I have to tell you I have 196 clients and that is twice the national average (Nat average being 90 client per officer) and when a client comes to me with a good plan and meets the transfer requirements I move on the process ASAP. My god, as of 8-1-2004 we all use the same forms and it takes like 20 min to fill out, then you get a copy of the police report and criminal history ( and all that takes is perhaps a little memo to the agency with the records). That's about it, unless the client has a mental health record then you need to attach that also. If getting a criminal history record is slowing things down (as it does in many states)I just tell the client what we are waiting for. Man that gets me hot to think a PO is lazy when it comes to doing thier job. The only other issue here could be something your not aware of about the situtaion. I've found there are usual 2 very different versions to every dispute. Good Luck! Texas is a tough play to be on Probation or Parole and my impression of the 2 PO's I spoke to a month ago over a client they sent me is that they are sloooow and disinterested.

Last edited by Searcher; 08-19-2004 at 12:16 PM..
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 PM

Searcher...My only wish at this point is that you were here, or we were there, and you were the P.O. we were dealing with! To all the families you have on your caseload(with the parolee comes the family) I want to just say thank you for not only doing your job, but helping as many as you can along the way.
You are very right about some of the ones here in TX being lazy. My husband has had only a couple of good officers, who would have been on top of our situation, but they are no longer even in this county. All the good people leave be it doctors, lawyers, and yes even Parole officers! That should tell you another reason we need to move on. The officers here do this same thing to many families on a very regular basis. Everyone who is on parole in this county knows the ones who love to find any reason to yank your parole, even if you were at work and were just running late getting to the parole office. Yes that has happened to one family I know.
Anyway, at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak....I bet most that have you as a P.O dont take it for granted...Thanks again
Old 08-19-2004, 11:58 PM

Jax... at this point the letter to the Regional Supervisor, as Searcher has suggested, would be more appropriate. Written requests are sometimes more effective, because it gives the person a chance to go over the request several times. Written requests can be referred back to, or set aside to be read during a more appropriate time. For example, if a person calls after a P.O. has just been tee'd off, more than likely you are going to receive the backlash and he'll go off on you or deny your request just because he's pissed about something else. I normally read my mail when I'm in a more relaxed and unhurried mood, which means I can give more thought to the request and execute it without having to make a decision right then and there because the person is on the phone. Have you heard the saying, "In one ear, and out the other" Well, that's what normally happens with verbal communication, especially if that person is in a bad mood. That's why I always suggest to follow-up phone calls with a written confirmation of that phone call. Written communication, can always be referred back to and given more thought.

When you write the Regional Supervisor, just make sure to keep it short and simple, and do state that you have made several attempts to expedite the transfer, and then go on to state why the transfer needs to be expedited. Use the sample letter as above, just adjust the introduction.

I know you are not dealing with a lot of time here, so I would wait 5 working days after mailing the letter, and follow-up with a phone call to the RS, stating that you are following up on a request mailed on ______ requesting his/her assistance regarding expediting the interstate transfer.

Off the topic..... I remember when I wanted a job transfer, and the office I wanted to transfer to was dragging their feet and I'd already secured another apartment and given a 30 day notice on my old apartment in anticipation of being accepted for the position I interviewed for. Well, after getting no responses to the many phone calls and emails on the status of the job offer, I decided to email the head, and I mean tippy, tippy top of human resources and explained my dilemma and requested that they look into the matter. Well.... in 1 hour everybody and their mama was calling me to tell me to report to the new office. That was 2 years ago, and I just recently found out that the office I was transferring to was "told" by HR that I would be reporting to their office and they had no say in the matter. LOL So, this is why I'm such an advocate of following protocol and documenting requests and phone calls when dealing with difficult people.

Keep us posted on the outcome!
Old 08-21-2004, 12:32 PM

I would also like to know if there is a website where the new interstate compact agreement can be viewed. My fiance and I were told that he could be transferred to another prison from where he is now. We just want to know the process of getting everything started.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:55 PM

Hello Searcher, I can't begin to tell you how much your help is appreciated. Getting answers to some of these questions are like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I have a few questions. My fiancee is in Yuma Arizona and has four years left. He is in protective custody at this point and has been since the first of May. Corrections has considered moving him to two different locations within the state however "word is out" that if he show up to any other location he will pay. Bottom line is his life is in danger. He has been a model inmate and is just looking to be as positive as he can until his time is up. What I would like to know is, is it possible to get him moved to ORegon for safety reasons. He would have a job waiting for him when he is released, he went to grade school and high school in Oregon and if need be we are prepared to marry while he is in instead of waiting until he is out if need be. What are the steps that need to be taken from his end in Arizona and who should we talk to. Also what can I do on the Oregon end of things? Thank you so much for your help.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:19 AM

I'm not very informed on prison system procedure as I work in community corrections. Other than my 2 years as a state corrections officer I have no experience in this arena. I Interstate Compact refered to here only addresses tranfer of corrections cleints while supervised by state community corrections, i.e. Probation and Parole. All I do know is that states soemtimes transfer inmates one for one for security reasons, such as a case that was very high media or to seperate co defedants. Normaly the exchange would be between 2 geographically close prisons. I'm not aware of inmates being transfered at thier request, I think it's soley for the needs of prison. If you post this in the Arizona Forum someone thier may be more help.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher
I'm not very informed on prison system procedure as I work in community corrections. Other than my 2 years as a state corrections officer I have no experience in this arena. I Interstate Compact refered to here only addresses tranfer of corrections cleints while supervised by state community corrections, i.e. Probation and Parole. All I do know is that states soemtimes transfer inmates one for one for security reasons, such as a case that was very high media or to seperate co defedants. Normaly the exchange would be between 2 geographically close prisons. I'm not aware of inmates being transfered at thier request, I think it's soley for the needs of prison. If you post this in the Arizona Forum someone thier may be more help.
Thank you so much for the info. Searcher. I have posted the question on the Arizona and Oregon forums and haven't had any luck. Someone on Oregon was kind enough to tell me about you. I will continue to look for some answers. Thanks again.