Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:35 PM

Default Parole sponsor responsibilities

My boyfriend ran by me that his cellmate asked if I would become his sponsor while on parole. I asked what the responsibilities were and got told that there was none, which I kinda find hard to believe. Can anyone tell me what the basics are and responsibilities, and what to expect?

Some side note on the situation is that
1)I'm an over the road driver
2) I live in Colorado
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2018, 07:51 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,329 Times in 14,850 Posts

I would think that your address would have to be his Home Plan address....which means that he'd be living in your home. That means No Alcohol, No Drugs, No Weapons....and sometimes No Large Dogs (pits especially, but other large dogs too). You'll have to consent to the PO searching your home if / when s/he wants to, Anytime night or day.

Other than that, his parole is his responsibility. Curfew? His curfew. Parole appointment? His appointment & his responsibility to get there. etc.

I will say that, depending on how long he's been incarcerated & his ability to function on his own. he may need a hand getting his social security card, driver's license, and filing for SNAP & insurance....those will need to be done asap. Hopefully he has family that can & will help him.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-27-2018), nimuay (05-26-2018), sidewalker (05-27-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 05:31 AM

Just a personal view, but..... IMO you need to put your BF and yourself first. Opening your life and world up to helping a cellmate would be a noble gesture, but I think it could also be a path to unwanted negative consequences and possible disaster. If the cellmate’s parole goes badly, you might end up getting drawn into whatever the problems were.

On another note--parole requirements usually prohibit parolees from having any contact with “known criminals” (i.e: anybody with any convictions). That might end up being a problem for your BF’s parole if you’re still associated with the cellmate when your BF gets out. It may not be what you or I would call a problem, but it’s the kind of thing a PO would probably classify as a problem and then deal with.

Good luck and be very careful with whatever you do with this situation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Combs For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-28-2018), patchouli (05-28-2018), sidewalker (05-28-2018), xolady (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 08:06 AM
Southern Fried Site Moderator on Leave

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,232 Times in 1,153 Posts

I’m going to be honest - I saw my name as “sponsor” on my husbands parole papers and I have zero duties as far as I can tell. I gave them my parole address and of course I had to comply with checks and whatnot, but I’m in no way required to make sure he follows any of the rules, nor am I required to keep allowing him to live with me if I don’t want him to. I’m guessing “sponsor” in our case just meant he was being released to me rather than to a halfway house.