Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Default So my journey in Federal prison begun...

So my hubby was transferred 2 days ago to Federal prison. It sucks becasue he's 250 miles away in Oxford, Wisconsin and I'm in Minnesota. I felt sad, but at the same time happy because I'llfinally be able to see him in person and hold his hand for the first time in almost 7 months!! This whole deal is new and confusing, I can't put money in his account cause they say his register # is wrong, but if you type it in the BOP he does come up. I feel frustrated and wanna go visit him this weekend but there's some list I have to be on and GRRRRRRRRR. Hate this crap!! Oh and if anyone has any info on Oxford please share, I need all and any advice I can get. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Donation Award 

So cool that you will be able to see him soon!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,178 Times in 2,585 Posts

Here is a link that you might find helpful. FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM
Someone there can probably help you with visitation info etc.

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 03-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Check it out, you gotta fill out his visiting application. You can get these from the BOP website for each facility.

http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/oxf/index.jsp

^----This one would be for Oxford. It will give you the information on writing and such. Do you know if he is going to the camp or to the FCI?

http://www.bop.gov/inmate_locator/who.jsp

^---The above link has information as to who can visit and general information.

http://www.bop.gov/inmate_locator/background.jsp

^----The above link will give you the link for the visitation application. Click on Visitor Information Form In order to get a copy of the form. Fill it out and make sure you attach a copy of your drivers license and I believe your social security card. Once you are approved they will let the inmate know, not you. It is up to him to let you know if you have been approved. This can take up to a month to be processed but it normally done in about half of that.

As for sending him money, it may not be setup in the system yet. I am unsure how long that takes because I was on his end but I was able to get money within two days. If they have questions about it, print out the bop.gov sheet and take it to them to show them. Maybe they are doing something wrong. Are you clear as to how to send money via Western Union?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:35 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

As his wife you automatically should go no his visiting list. Call the prison and check.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 AM

Regardless if she is his wife or not, she still has to go through the background process. The only thing that helps her situation, is that it will mention in his PSI that he is married to her. Which will allow them to overlook most criminal charges on a background check. But she still has to fill out a visitor's application.

I know this due to the fact that my wife wasn't automatically added.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Account Closed

Smile wish you the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulinswife View Post
So my hubby was transferred 2 days ago to Federal prison. It sucks becasue he's 250 miles away in Oxford, Wisconsin and I'm in Minnesota. I felt sad, but at the same time happy because I'llfinally be able to see him in person and hold his hand for the first time in almost 7 months!! This whole deal is new and confusing, I can't put money in his account cause they say his register # is wrong, but if you type it in the BOP he does come up. I feel frustrated and wanna go visit him this weekend but there's some list I have to be on and GRRRRRRRRR. Hate this crap!! Oh and if anyone has any info on Oxford please share, I need all and any advice I can get. Thanks for reading.
Hello I am new to this, and getting to know the site.
my loved one is in the feds also and is in beaumont. I am still awaiting an okay to get on his list to visit him and its been three years now. I had to fill out this letter of approval and I am not sure what has happened to it but maybe in the future i can figure this whole thing out. I would love to see him. I wish you all the best and hope that you get to see your loved one soon...
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyrose0528 View Post
Hello I am new to this, and getting to know the site.
my loved one is in the feds also and is in beaumont. I am still awaiting an okay to get on his list to visit him and its been three years now. I had to fill out this letter of approval and I am not sure what has happened to it but maybe in the future i can figure this whole thing out. I would love to see him. I wish you all the best and hope that you get to see your loved one soon...
The Staff and Beaumont is HORRID. It is so hard to track down case managers and everything else. You never even know when their open house is or anything along that line.

Anyways, what he needs to do is go to the Case Manager in his unit and ask them why you ahven't been approved. Or if they evengot your stuff. he should know if there was a denial or approval. He would have gotten a print out of his 'inmate visitor list'. So ask him and if he enver got it, you may need to send another one in.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 PM

My husband's counselor approved me to visit before I even turned in my visitation form. As his spouse for the first 30 days you should be allowed to visit, after that you have to be approved because they have to do their background check and what not.

Have your husband talk to his counselor so that you can be allowed to visit as soon as you are able.