Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Transfers have begun.....

80 California prisoners shipped out from Meadows Field

The Bakersfield Californian | Friday, Nov 3 2006 4:16 PM

Last Updated: Friday, Nov 3 2006 4:16 PM
Eighty California state prison inmates hopped a plane at Meadows Field in Bakersfield Friday morning for a flight to their new home at the private West Tennessee Detention Facility near Memphis.

The prisoners, who volunteered for the transfer, were the first batch of 2,260 state prisoners that will be transferred to out-of-state prisons under two contracts approved by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last month.
The combined $51 million contracts, with the GEO Group, Inc. and the Corrections Corporation of America, were made in an effort to relieve overcrowding in state prisons.
None of the prisoners were from prisons in Kern County, said Bill Sessa, press secretary for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
Sessa said prisoners who volunteered to be transferred were temporarily housed at a prison near Bakersfield before being flown to Tennessee.
He would not say if Kern County prisons, or Meadows Field, will be used as transfer points for other groups of prisoners in the future.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,999 Times in 801 Posts

I also saw in the Sacramento Bee that the judge will not allow any further transfers until they re evalutate the mental evaluations files done on the guys. They are making sure that no one with mental illness gets transferred.

Morris1
Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned

I wonder why they choose to be transferred. Does anyone know? I mean those private prisons are supposed to be horrible, not that all prisons aren't. Are they giving them anything in return?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:36 PM

Good question. I would bet there is a underlining to all of this. It smells to me of POLITICS. Hey Guys, Isnt there an election in the forseeable future? (LOL)
Old 11-04-2006, 01:01 AM

A friend of mine is in that first group...he volunteered, but really had no idea what he was getting himself into. Had I known he did that silly survey, I would have filled him in on all I've learned on PTO! When they met w/ him & did an evaluation they told him he qualified & 2 days later, he transfered. He didn't even know how he qualified! He called just before they left & I told him what the criteria was...he fit in the "no family ties to Ca" category.

Anyway, no...he didn't know what he was getting himself into. And really...I didn't have the heart to tell him @ that point.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Hi Ladies,
I am registered with the Sac Bee, but im unable to open their emails for some reason. I know today they sent out an email (news article) today, can anyone tell me what was on it. I know it had something to do with the first inmates being move.
The first few batches of inmates being moved are the ones who volunteer. The ones who said they would transfer to the states that where on the list on that survey. Thereafter, they would get the ones who "Fit" their criteria of no family ties, etc.
Me personally, after hearing everything about the transfers that are taking place, I must admit that I was totally against it at first; but as I read and hear more about it, its not that bad really. I think it might be a good thing. BUT BUT BUT I still think they should give some kind of insentive to them for going. Such as reducing there time, money insentives; most of all I truely believe they need to re-evaluate the laws in Cali and start releasing people.

Last edited by Mocksie; 11-04-2006 at 10:50 AM..
Old 11-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Joined at the heart!

What people don't understand is these private prisons are sooo bad! They don't have a program for these guys and they feed them very little. In the summer they don't run the air conditioner to save money. That's bad when it's 100 degrees outside and you pack a room with 80 guys and no air!

Dusty’s Lady

HE'S HOME!!
As of July 25, 2007!!
And I am STILL loving it!!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:47 AM

They are modern day concentration camps. Thats my opinion..
Old 11-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Donation Award 

I just saw the broadcast concerning the transfers. I will keep the inmates in my prayers. is this in the best interest of the inmates? I honestly do not know much about CA. laws. if it is anything like Texas then I am sure it is only in the interest of the state not the inmates. Jeannie
Old 11-04-2006, 12:01 PM

Why don't they tranfer all the "new" ones to these places. As soon as they are gone there will be inmates to take there places. Makes no sense to me.?

Old 11-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Joined at the heart!

I think they need to just do early releases on ANY inmate that has less than a year to do if they have already done at least 1/2 time. Even the 2nd strikers! Of course, that would bring my husband home, but I think they will save so much more money AND release quite a bit of bed space for the new inmates!

Dusty’s Lady

HE'S HOME!!
As of July 25, 2007!!
And I am STILL loving it!!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:55 PM

Mocksie - You're right, & I didn't clarify...he volunteered, therefore, off he goes! It didn't matter if he qualified in any other category...
Old 11-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,026 Posts

I just posted a similar thread on News and Event Forum.

The flight was delayed for more than four hours as a federal judge in Sacramento considered whether mentally ill or suicidal inmates were properly screened out of the first group of volunteers. He eventually ordered more screening once the inmates arrive at the West Tennessee Detention Facility operated by Correctional Corporation of America. They transfered 80 Inmates. Once the Volunteer pool is exhausted that's when they are going to start moving Inmates involuntarily. They only will move them involuntarily if they meet a certain criteria which is:

1.) Inmates who: (a) have been previously deported by the federal government and are criminal aliens subject to immediate deportation; or (b) have committed an aggravated felony as defined by federal statue and are subject to deportation.

2.) Inmates who are paroling outside of California.

3.) Inmates who have limited or no family or supportive ties in California based on visitation records and/or other information deemed relevant and appropriate by the CDCR Secretary.

4.) Inmates who have family or supportive ties in transfer state.

5.) Other inmates as deemed appropriate by the CDCR Secretary.

B. No person under commitment to Division of Juvenile Justice may be considered for such transfer.