Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Kentucky that do not fit into any other Kentucky sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:54 PM

Default Medical Care & Treatments - Rights & Options

Hello all -

I have a friend in prison that has some unknown health issue going on. He has had to have blood work repeated now for the 6th time. This all stemmed from his annual check up in July. Only it's taken them months to even tell him that something wasn't right. And from there, it's just been one unanswered question after the next.

At this point, we're on round 6 of blood work and 3, maybe 4 EKGs. He has suffered from a near-death car accident in the years before his arrest. He also has a genetic disorder that led to the removal of his spleen as a kid. So he's already at a disadvantage.

They don't tel him much. Only now that he's actually engaging with a doctor has he started to get any information. Before now, he was left almost 3 weeks knowing something was really wrong, but the nurse wouldn't even hint at what. So, as you can imagine, it's wearing on his nerves and has him pretty worried.

I'm just wondering what options inmates have in this regard. Does he remain at the mercy of whatever medical services the prison offers? Is there any opportunity to involve your own family practitioner? And I'd assume at his family's cost, of course. I just don't know what recourse there even is. I just know that they don't know his history, or don't seem to care. He has other health issues going on that they don't seem to be paying any attention to. And I suspect these things are actually related.

The genetic disorder is an auto-immune disorder, so it's very risky to play around, in his case. A simple infection for someone else can quickly become life threatening for him.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2017, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,265 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOI2016 View Post
Hello all -

I have a friend in prison that has some unknown health issue going on. He has had to have blood work repeated now for the 6th time. This all stemmed from his annual check up in July. Only it's taken them months to even tell him that something wasn't right. And from there, it's just been one unanswered question after the next.

At this point, we're on round 6 of blood work and 3, maybe 4 EKGs. He has suffered from a near-death car accident in the years before his arrest. He also has a genetic disorder that led to the removal of his spleen as a kid. So he's already at a disadvantage.

They don't tel him much. Only now that he's actually engaging with a doctor has he started to get any information. Before now, he was left almost 3 weeks knowing something was really wrong, but the nurse wouldn't even hint at what. So, as you can imagine, it's wearing on his nerves and has him pretty worried.

I'm just wondering what options inmates have in this regard. Does he remain at the mercy of whatever medical services the prison offers? Is there any opportunity to involve your own family practitioner? And I'd assume at his family's cost, of course. I just don't know what recourse there even is. I just know that they don't know his history, or don't seem to care. He has other health issues going on that they don't seem to be paying any attention to. And I suspect these things are actually related.

The genetic disorder is an auto-immune disorder, so it's very risky to play around, in his case. A simple infection for someone else can quickly become life threatening for him.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sounds about right. I'm not an inmate, never have been. But I recently had to wait 30 days to get test results from one of the University of Kentucky hospitals. My doctor and I both called and faxed numerous times to finally get the results. Finally got them but now have to wait another 90 days for a 'consult' before the procedure. Ridiculous. I have insurance and am a state employee.

Nothing in prison happens quickly. There's a lot of hoops to jump through for things to get approved. It's not just the people in the facility where he is that approves and decides things. Usually the medical people at the prison are only licensed practical nurses. A doctor may stop by once a month or so. An LPN can't really do much. Any test or request for a procedure must go through the medical department at DOC and must be medically necessary. Then they have to go through even more hoops to find a doctor/hospital willing to accept their security procedures to treat an inmate.

As far as an outside doctor stepping in...No. His own or a family's doctor cannot. Doctors aren't on staff in Kentucky. DOC uses an outside group, and there could be 1 doctor that travels to all prisons.

Here's a link to DOCs corrections policies and procedures (CPPs) for medical.

One guy broke his hand in county as a state inmate. He had surgery to put pins in his hand. The surgeon wanted the pins out in 7 days. The guy was transferred the day after his surgery to prison in another part of the state and had to get new approval from DOC to see a doctor in that area for follow up. He had to wait 30 days, yes 30 days for those pins to get taken out of his hand. The doctor had recommended 7, not 30. Needless to say those pins were difficult to remove after having been there for way too long.

Any prison or jail, state or federal, medical care sucks and is the lowest of the low.