Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 10-24-2018, 07:10 PM

Question Books from publishers only? Amazon & Books-A-Million not accepted - Indiana

Well my son has found himself back in county, probably headed back to prison. He would like some books to read but the facility will only allow paperback books directly from the publisher. I've been looking and looking and can not find publishers that mail books themselves.

Does anyone know of any publishers that mail paperback books?

Hubby's home 12/23/2013.
“I believe that everything happens for a reason. ...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” ― Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hislilpumpkin View Post
Well my son has found himself back in county, probably headed back to prison. He would like some books to read but the facility will only allow paperback books directly from the publisher. I've been looking and looking and can not find publishers that mail books themselves.

Does anyone know of any publishers that mail paperback books?
Amazon that's where I get my husband western and his puzzle books. You order them and pay for it and it will be shipped to him where ever he is in prison. I'm sorry that happened to him again and you to.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsetspouse View Post
Amazon that's where I get my husband western and his puzzle books. You order them and pay for it and it will be shipped to him where ever he is in prison. I'm sorry that happened to him again and you to.
Believe it or not, the county will NOT allow books from Amazon or Books-A-Million, only directly from the publisher. I sent one from Harper-Collins' website, turns out they just send it through one of several other places like Amazon, BAM, Walmart and Target, the jail sent it back Undeliverable.

I'm still Googling every which way I can and I found a company last night, www.sureshotbooks.com. It says Publishing in their name so maybe that will work, I am going to try to send one from there.

Thanks, it sucks. He's stuck in another state, our state keeps finding loopholes so he can't get transferred here. They make it so impossible to survive once you get out of the system and of course, being up there alone makes it easy to get into situations you shouldn't which led him to going back. He thinks he is going to try to do most of the time left inside, so he doesn't end up leaving on paper. We shall see.

Hubby's home 12/23/2013.
“I believe that everything happens for a reason. ...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” ― Marilyn Monroe
Old 10-25-2018, 08:51 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,190 Times in 15,226 Posts

"Directly from the publisher" usually does mean outlets like Amazon, Barns & Noble, etc Would the jail not provide an example of what they mean by "publisher," a specific company name Anything to make it harder than than it need be

hislilpumpkin, is he in a county jail or a state prison? In what state?

EDIT: From looking at your previous posts, he is in Texas. I'll move your thread to the Texas forum

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 10-25-2018 at 08:53 AM..
Old 10-25-2018, 07:50 PM

Find a small bookstore and see if they can send books direct to home from their distibutor. If so, they should be able to send books to the prison. I have done this to several different jails.
patchouli (10-25-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:04 AM

Thanks y'all.

Patchouli, I sent a book from Harper Collins and it turns out they send it from Amazon, and it was rejected by the facility. No, the facility wasn't helpful when I asked.

ThopterMom, thanks, hadn't thought of that. I did find that Sureshotbooks.com did reach him, so I guess that site works.

Hubby's home 12/23/2013.
The Following User Says Thank You to hislilpumpkin For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 12:55 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,190 Times in 15,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
"Directly from the publisher" usually does mean outlets like Amazon, Barns & Noble, etc Would the jail not provide an example of what they mean by "publisher," a specific company name Anything to make it harder than than it need be

hislilpumpkin, is he in a county jail or a state prison? In what state?

EDIT: From looking at your previous posts, he is in Texas. I'll move your thread to the Texas forum

Correction: Sorry about that .....he is in Indiana

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 11-05-2018, 06:57 PM

Yesterday I found a website, thriftbooks.com, and it’s very affordable. It was also free shipping with $10.00 and over purchase. I placed an order today so fingers crossed it goes through.

The Following User Says Thank You to Beachymom For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (11-06-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 02:09 AM

Thanked 1,060 Times in 510 Posts

If you are shipping to someone in an Indiana prison you do need to be careful. I ordered through Amazon but check who ships. If it says ships by Mass Marketing don't order. It looks like it could come from a private individual and they wont deliver. You can't send used books and you can't send hard backs (caveat to that- I sent a hard back and they would deliver if he allowed them to tear off the hard back covers).