Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Parole, Probation, Halfway House, Community Service, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service, electronic monitoring, etc. in New Jersey should be posted here.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 PM

Default Medical marijuana and parole?

Does anyone have any info about if medical marijuana is okay on parole? You need a prescription so it should be fine but ya know the war on drugs and all that. Would ask my p.o. but he isn't helpful and just makes things up to suit him. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronikenergy View Post
Does anyone have any info about if medical marijuana is okay on parole? You need a prescription so it should be fine but ya know the war on drugs and all that. Would ask my p.o. but he isn't helpful and just makes things up to suit him. Thanks
It is Federally Illegal, so I would say no you can’t legally use that drug
Old 02-03-2018, 11:57 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

Yeah, a prescription doesn't negate the fact that pot is illegal. You're not going to be able to use while on parole of any kind, federal or state since one of your conditions will be to not violate laws. Use of pot, no matter what the excuse, is still illegal.

Btw, I'd get any drug cleared with my PO if it had an intoxicating effect. This means opioids and benzos. They will then use more sophisticated tests to make sure that you're using the prescribed opiate at the prescribed dosage, if they allow you to use it at all. Yes, they can interfere with some of this if a reasonable medical alternative exists. They are more apt to interfere when the underlying crime involves drugs. So, if you were caught selling your Aderoll prescription, then you will have problems convincing your PO that you really need that Aderoll to function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
nimuay (02-04-2018), xolady (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:08 AM

Thanked 5,959 Times in 3,104 Posts

My x-husband was on probation for a pain pill that was found under the seat of my car. I had scripts and he was still arrested and put on drug court wasn't allowed any opiates and had several leg surgeries and he could only get non-opiate pain meds.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:44 PM

quick update

just so yall know it is possible to get a medical marijuana card while on parole in NJ. They will lie to you and say it isnt possible but by writing the right people ie congressman senators etc. they basically said that was bullshit and there is nothing to prevent a parolee from getting the card. I wanted to get this info out because if people experience what i did, ptsd is a very serious issue affecting those who it doesnt strike until they are out of that type of environment.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
quick update

just so yall know it is possible to get a medical marijuana card while on parole in NJ. They will lie to you and say it isnt possible but by writing the right people ie congressman senators etc. they basically said that was bullshit and there is nothing to prevent a parolee from getting the card. I wanted to get this info out because if people experience what i did, ptsd is a very serious issue affecting those who it doesnt strike until they are out of that type of environment.
They still pee test you?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:11 PM

yes you still go for urine tests. the only difference is that as long as you have a medical marijuana card and they(parole) have it on file there is nothing they can do. And before nay sayers who think they know what they are talking about that is from a lieutenant and attorney general
Old 05-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
yes you still go for urine tests. the only difference is that as long as you have a medical marijuana card and they(parole) have it on file there is nothing they can do. And before nay sayers who think they know what they are talking about that is from a lieutenant and attorney general
I don't believe this is the same for every state. You may want to check with your PO. Or maybe some of the attorneys on PTO can chime in. Getting the card is not the problem. It's dropping a hot UA that is the problem. It's the same as if you take medical marijuana on to prison grounds. Even though you have a medical marijuana card. It is still illegal federally. You are advised of that as soon as you step on Prison property in Colorado where marijuana is legal.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,472 Times in 7,511 Posts

Quote:
I am a nay sayer. I'm also a licensed attorney, though not in your state.

Marijuana law is a highly volatile area, and that's just whether or not you can get a criminal charge for using the substance whether or not it's medical.

Probation and parole are not the same as whether or not you will actually get charged with something. Probation and parole can dictate what you can and cannot do, and that includes medical marijuana. If your PO says, "no" and you use anyway, you violate your probation or parole. They can then take you to court and you can wind up in jail or prison doing time on the underlying charge.

Look, it's pot. Like any other substance, whether prescribed or not, it can be restricted. Opioid addicts are not allowed to find a doctor to give them a script for their chronic pain. Cocaine has medical uses and that's not going to fly. benzos and other addictive substances can and will be restricted as a condition of probation or parole. Just like you're not going to be able to blaze in prison, you're not going to be able to smoke pot, eat pot, vape pot, or otherwise use in most situations, whether you have a script or not.

I really don't care who you've talked to - if your PO says no, you face violation for a dirty UA. Since the a PV has a lower threshold for proof, and the proof is whether or not you adhered to the conditions of your parole or probation.

And pot is still federally illegal. Medical marijuana is still illegal federally. Will you do time because of it? Probably not. Unless you are on probation or parole - then a dirty UA is evidence of violating federal law, and an easy PV.

But, you'll do what you want to do. You are what we call, "job security" in criminal defense work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (05-31-2018), nancyginnm (05-31-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
I'm also a licensed attorney, though not in your state.
I would like to verify your claim that you are a licensed attorney. In what state(s) are you licensed to practice law? What is your name?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:35 AM

Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Hippie View Post
I would like to verify your claim that you are a licensed attorney. In what state(s) are you licensed to practice law? What is your name?
Pretty sure no one is under any obligation to “prove” anything to you about their occupation or identity. The attorneys on this forum provide practical advice based on their experience... for free and asking nothing in return. If you don’t believe them, feel free to disregard their advice and go smoke pot on probation. No one cares. But don’t come in here trying to be Internet Tough Guy and annoying people.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
Pretty sure no one is under any obligation to “prove” anything to you about their occupation or identity. The attorneys on this forum provide practical advice based on their experience... for free and asking nothing in return. If you don’t believe them, feel free to disregard their advice and go smoke pot on probation. No one cares. But don’t come in here trying to be Internet Tough Guy and annoying people.
I agree with all this, but in addition if you don’t like reading somebody’s comments add them to your “blocked” list.

Can you imagine if a lawyer gave out their information how swamped there’d be by people asking for legal advice.

But back to the smoking pot? If the P.O. says NO, I suggest you not smoke. If you are on parole you are, in a sense, still in prison. The P.O. calls the shots.
fbopnomore (11-17-2018), Itshardtowait (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 12:14 PM

This reminds me of discussions I’ve had with my son over the years. He reads stuff about how police “can’t” do this and that and was convinced that he could drive around smoking pot with no risk. All that went out the window a couple of years ago when he was pulled over for nothing more than having a temporary tag on his car. Nonetheless, his eyes were red, the officer smelled pot, and off to jail he went! Keep in mind, even in states with recreational or medical marijuana laws, you can still get a DUI for being under the influence!

If someone released on probation doesn’t put avoiding a PV above all else, the prospects aren’t good. Also, it helps to be very strategic about special requests to a PO, especially early on.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:11 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,192 Times in 15,226 Posts

First off, if any member wishes to remain anonymous, so be it. Second, this thread is not about verifying others credentials....its about obtaining a medical pot card, smoking pot and being on parole. Let's stay on topic to the OP. Anything otherwise can be taken up in pm's (personal questions) or a new thread (non-personal questions). Thanks!

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Itshardtowait (11-17-2018), LifeTraveler (11-17-2018), Sarianna (11-17-2018)