Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the North Carolina Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Default 2021 please help

How long and do inmates become indigent? Where the state will give the inmates stamps? I thought I saw something somewhere about it but I can't find it now.

Any info would be helpful, thank you so much.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Why? When? Who? Where?

Default indigent

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publicati...10Handbook.pdf
Page 24
Inmates who have no money and who are determined indigent will be provided up to 10 stamps per month for one-ounce personal letters. This limit of stamps does not apply to mail relating to legal matters.

Page 56
Can inmates buy personal items?
Yes. All prison facilities operate a cashless canteen for inmates to purchase items such as hygiene items, snack foods, soft drinks, watches, radios, stamps, etc. Inmates are not allowed to have cash or coins on their person but may spend up to $40 each week from their trust fund account for personal use using the cashless canteen. Prisons will provide basic hygiene items for inmates who do not have the monies to purchase them.

I believe all DOC facilities now are cashless, where the Inmate uses his DOC ID as a Debit Card for the canteen. If the computer recognizes him/her as indigent they can get a 'stamp receipt' and take that to the Mail Room to have a stamp put on the letter for mailing. Same with personal hygiene items which he can get every so often as long as he/she remains indigent.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:17 PM

How are they determined to be indigent? I know in the county they have to be without money for a certain time period. How would getting the stamps going to the mailroom to get them work if he's in de seg?

Thanks again for your answers.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Why? When? Who? Where?

Default indigent

For those facilities (as far as I know - all of them, now) that are cashless - the computer calculates and shows if they are indigient or not. Similar to county they have to have below a certain amount in their account and have not had any deposits in their account for a certain amount of time.

As for receiving canteen in D-Seg, I'm not sure - perhaps someone working at a Seg facility could give a more specific answer - They should have a form or request to fill out for canteen or on their letter, where the stamp goes they would write WF - for welfare fund and the mailroom would take appropriate actions. It may be different at different facilities.

Hope this helps a bit