Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Ironwood State Prison (ISP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ironwood State Prison (ISP) - California Topic and discussion specific to Ironwood State Prison located in Blythe, California.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:03 AM

Question Telephone Calls-How does the phone system work in there?

Hey Ladies,

I thought once my husband mainlined to prison he would be able to use the phone any time of the day for at least 45 minutes. Well, I was so wrong. How does the phone system work in there? He finally called me after he was classified and put in the C yard, but he only talked to me for 15 minutes. Can they use the phone everyday if they aren't on lock down? Do they turn the phones off at a certain time? What is the latest time they can make phone calls? Why are the phone calls only 15 minutes? My friend boyfriend has a cell phone in there, how do I purchase a phone for my husband? Thank you

Last edited by blkpina21; 02-22-2009 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: Additional Questions
The Following User Says Thank You to blkpina21 For This Useful Post:
tanyat702 (03-05-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 AM

First, I wouldn't advertise anyone having a cell phone inside. It's a felony to have it in there. The calls are 15 minutes. Ther is a phone list that they have to sign up for calls each day. The guys with work assignment have priorty for sign up. The C.O.s are in control of turning the phones on & allowing phone time so it varies. Day room is usually over at 9:00 pm & the last phone calls are scheduled for 8:45 pm. At ISP everything is subject to change at any time. ISP is inconsistant, but eventually you'll learn the "ropes". Alot depends on which C.C. is working the building, some are real butt heads, others do thier job like they're supposed to. As for buying your man a phone, if I were you, I wouldn't! Good luck & welcome to ISP.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ripskip For This Useful Post:
blkpina21 (02-23-2009), His1nOnlyWife (02-22-2009), o*c wifey (02-23-2009), tanyat702 (03-05-2009)
Old 02-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I Love My Baby!

Wow like hopahale said don't adverstise the cell phones on here or anywhere. Alot of CO's come on here and read what we post. And yeah calls are 15 min. If he doesnt have a job then he is only allowed 1 call per month anywhere from the 1st-10th of every month. The inmates with jobs can use the phone anytime as long as they sign up. I also agree that ISP is not very consistent. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to His1nOnlyWife For This Useful Post:
o*c wifey (02-23-2009), tanyat702 (03-05-2009)
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,029 Times in 7,143 Posts

Possession of a cell phone is, as others have said, a SERIOUS violation- sometimes treated automatically as an escape attempt.... don't even JOKE about it because the consequences are no laughing matter.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
His1nOnlyWife (02-23-2009), monet420 (02-23-2009), tanyat702 (03-05-2009)
Old 02-23-2009, 04:08 PM

Hey Ladies,

Thank you for informing me that the cell phone issue is illegal. My husband is coming home soon so I wouldn't want him to get any extra time. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble but I didn't know that was illegal. I've never been in prison or dealt with anybody in prison so I'm just finding out a lot of stuff. Plus I know when you have money you get better treatment. So other than collect calls, can inmates use prepaid cards? Thank you
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
Donation Award 

No you can not use calling cards either. As far as I know most or all the CDC prison only give you 15 min calls.

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***
The Following User Says Thank You to monet420 For This Useful Post:
blkpina21 (02-23-2009)
Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM
I Love My Baby!

Dont worry girl we understand..it's just that cell phones inside the prison is a . All you have is the collect calls. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkpina21 View Post
Hey Ladies,

Thank you for informing me that the cell phone issue is illegal. My husband is coming home soon so I wouldn't want him to get any extra time. I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble but I didn't know that was illegal. I've never been in prison or dealt with anybody in prison so I'm just finding out a lot of stuff. Plus I know when you have money you get better treatment. So other than collect calls, can inmates use prepaid cards? Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to His1nOnlyWife For This Useful Post:
blkpina21 (04-03-2009)
Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
~*oFFiCiaLLy MiSSiN YoU*~

hahahah soooo got my dates wrong... he was released to main line last week and nothing showed up on my caller id but i guess he has been trying to reach me since then and i didnt know... i called gtl to see if a call attemp was made and try up to set up account and now they are telling me that i need to fax over my phone bill to verify everything... has anyone else had to do this? i mean i had an account with them once before same phone company and i never had to do this... i just wanted to know if anyone else had to do this and if they are good about getting it done fast... i havent heard my mans voice in 6 months and i wanna hear him soon....

sorry wrong thread??

Last edited by chinita_bonita; 03-04-2009 at 11:58 PM..
Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinita_bonita View Post
hahahah soooo got my dates wrong... he was released to main line last week and nothing showed up on my caller id but i guess he has been trying to reach me since then and i didnt know... i called gtl to see if a call attemp was made and try up to set up account and now they are telling me that i need to fax over my phone bill to verify everything... has anyone else had to do this? i mean i had an account with them once before same phone company and i never had to do this... i just wanted to know if anyone else had to do this and if they are good about getting it done fast... i havent heard my mans voice in 6 months and i wanna hear him soon....

sorry wrong thread??
yes thats what they require to set up an account once you fax all that info to them it does not take long for them to set your account up. GTL is pretty easy to use to. My brother in law in at ISP and I just go online 1 time a month and pay my bill. When my husband was there I would pay the bill once a week to make sure they didn't block the phone .. The good thing is if they do block the phone once you go and pay it is only a matter of min for the block to be released and you don't have to call any one to unblock it the block is removed automatically

***My Husband is home and I am loving almost every second of it!!!***
The Following User Says Thank You to monet420 For This Useful Post:
chinita_bonita (03-05-2009)
Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 PM

of course there are ways of getting around the phone situation but trust me its not worth it!! its alot of money and too risky if caught its not that serious but still 30 days extra and they go to the hole so heads up
Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 PM

Smile

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for all the advice. My hubby calls me almost everyday and sometimes twice a day. Yeah the phonce calls are only 15 minutes, but they are worth it. He doesn't have a job yet, so on the weekends I don't always get a phone call. Thanks