Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 09-22-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Need Info on Sheridan FPC

Has anyone been, or have a loved there who could shed a little light? Clothing, underwear, shoes, toiletries, books, personal property ie: wedding rings, watch, and what is the food like? Will they give me a "list" or guidebook before I surrender? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2004, 03:08 PM

We have a member there now. Here is a thread on the facility he is in.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...t=FCI+Sheridan

They won't give you a guidebook before you go in.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:07 PM

Thanks for responding. I also found the BOP website (www.bop.gov) to be really helpful. It has lists of what you are allowed to bring in and some of what you can get from the commissary. I just found out yesterday that my sentencing date has been pushed back to the Monday after Thanksgiving. The US Attorney has said he won't object to a self surrender after Christmas. I'm at Level 13, looking at 12 to 15 months, hoping for FPC Sheridan. I appreciate this website a lot, it has taken away most of the fear of the unknown.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:26 AM

That's actually a thread for the FCI (the medium security facility next to the camp) if I'm not mistaken. My husband just surrendered at the Camp this past week, but I haven't gotten to talk to him yet. I've searched everywhere for info on the Camp, but there really isn't anything that I could find. I ended up calling the Camp directly to ask questions before he had to leave. What questions do you have specifically? Hopefully I will talk to him soon. There is also another user here called onherown whose husband is currently at the Camp. She has been SOOOO helpful in answering my questions and providing some comfort, and her husband has been showing mine around the place, which I'm sure has helped enormously. You might try PM'ing her, although I believe she will be gone until next week sometime.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:16 PM

Thanks for replying MMP2004. My wife is aware of this website and I am sure she will want to communicate with you and onherown. I guess my biggest questions have been answered by the BOP website where I was able to download the list of what you can bring in and what you can buy there. My sentencing is two weeks from today, so I will contact you when I know for sure if I get assigned there. If you talk to your husband, ask him what it is like in general, sleeping and bathroom facilities (any privacy?), the food, etc. It seems like from everything I have read on this website everyone there (inmates) are all nice and willing to help new people get settled. Thanks for replying!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:05 AM

Hey, I actually just got to talk to him for the first time tonight. He says that it's okay, but the food there is soooo bad he usually doesn't eat it. You can buy tuna from the store there so he basically just eats that. He said there are two bunkbeds in each room with a desk and a locker for each person. It looks like the rooma are divided by a wall that doesn't quite reach the ceiling (not sure on that, though, he drew me a picture of it in a letter). Also there is privacy (single-person shower stalls, toilets) so I'm sure that's a comfort. We really didn't know what to expect. Feel free to PM me or have your wife if you would like more info. I don't have a lot yet since he just left a week ago. But I'll help out if I can. Definitely let me know if you end up there so Matt (my husband) and Kevin (onherown's) can watch for you. He said it made a huge difference having someone there to help right off.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:06 PM

Thank you so much for the info - I am going to have my attorneys request Sheridan at the sentencing on Dec. 6. I know there is no guarantee, but it is the closest to home. As soon as I know for sure, I will PM you, and thanks again!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:12 AM

Default Sheridan

Hello

I was just reading your thread, and thought I'd say HI. I will be joining you shortly at Sheridan. I'm going to be sentenced Feb 25 in Seattle. My attorney has negotiated Sheridan. I've plead to 1 count of mail fraud. I used to live in Lewiston Idaho until about 2 years ago. Are you being sentenced in Boise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14utoconsider
Thanks for replying MMP2004. My wife is aware of this website and I am sure she will want to communicate with you and onherown. I guess my biggest questions have been answered by the BOP website where I was able to download the list of what you can bring in and what you can buy there. My sentencing is two weeks from today, so I will contact you when I know for sure if I get assigned there. If you talk to your husband, ask him what it is like in general, sleeping and bathroom facilities (any privacy?), the food, etc. It seems like from everything I have read on this website everyone there (inmates) are all nice and willing to help new people get settled. Thanks for replying!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:35 AM

Hey Jetboat racer, hangin in there? My husband was sentenced in Seattle actually. Let me know if you have questions, I will try to answer them the best I can.

Good luck!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:25 AM

I am new to this site. My husband voluntarily went to Sheridan Camp 2 weeks ago only to find that he is now at the maximum security. What a nightmare. They say he has to wait for an opening. The hard thing is finding out info. How are all you ladies coping with all this?
Old 07-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

Christmas - You mean he's at the Sheridan Detention Center? Or out of state at a maximum security place? Shouldn't be too long before an opening comes up, hopefully. For those of you not sentenced yet - just know that, even though the attorney "negotiates" for Sheridan and the Judge recommends Sheridan, the ultimate decision is up to the BOP. Good chance you would get Sheridan but it's not 100 per cent guaranteed. Z.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:03 PM
silenced

I just looked at the population report for Sheridan Camp - 485. I've seen it as high as 511...
Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 PM

The problem is they probably stuck him in the hole to wait and they take their sweet time getting people out of there.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks to all of you who responded. My husband has luckily now been moved to the camp. Hard reality is that the spouses and kids are really the ones that are punished. He mentioned that there is also another camp where they can actually golf! Thought that would be some guys dream. They must think they have died and gone to Heaven! I do not know how this will turn out but I know that I am soooo tired of trying to keep us afloat. Sure is hard on the kids. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

Haven't heard of a federal camp where there is golf - so wondering if this is true...
Old 12-23-2007, 08:18 PM

Here are some general information about Sheridan camp. Anybody has any specific questions send me a note.

Do you have any questions about particular things at Sheridan camp, if so I'd be happy to answer them. Daily work: The best jobs you can get are usually in the maintenance department's across the road, like the garage where I worked, electrical, plumbing things like that. That way you're not directly under the nose of the guards and staff. The particular foremen in those departments are more like inmates than guards. So find yourself a job you like and try and form a working relationship with your foreman. Because your boss has “juice” with the prison if it ever comes that you do something you should not do. I have seen many foremen keep some of their workers from going to the hole just based on their word. You might look up an inmate friend of mine when you get there and he would help you settle in. His name is Steve Green and he works in the chapel as a clerk. Tell him Uncle Martin sent you. I didn't self surrender, I came to Sheridan from Terminal Island Prison near Los Angeles by Conair, that was an experience. They took us to the jail which is across the road from the camp. We call it the jail, the cops call it a federal detention center. It is a high security all locked down for the bad boys. They held us in a holding cell a few hours and gave us a sack lunch. Then we who were designated to the camp were allowed to just simply walk across the road to the camp. Pretty easy. Unless they take you handcuffed from the courtroom and don’t allow yourself to self surrender then I would think the easiest for you to do is just turn yourself in to the camp. Walk through the entrance doors, to the right is the visiting room and to the left is the offices. Go in the offices and say here I am. They will probably take you across the street to the jail for processing then returned to the camp. Commissary: As far as the commissary goes depending on your assigned prison number will determine the day that you go to the commissary. They give you a checklist you fill it out, you pick out the items like ice cream but you have to eat all of it that night as you don’t have a freezer to cans of tuna, for which you will store in your locker. Then you will turn it in to the window at the commissary and just hang out and wait till they call your name. And if you have a nylon sack which you should have by that time, then as they shove the stuff down a chute you grab it and throw it in your sack, sign for what you bought which will come off of your money you have in your account again very simple. The cost of items is about what they are on the street, even though they probably buy them cheaper in bulk they'll never give you a deal. Sleeping: The sleeping arrangements are this; there are two buildings unit five and unit six. Unit six is primarily used for people in the RDAP program Each building consists of eight wings, and each wing holds approximately 16 bunk beds with a divider wall every two bunks and a common hallway in the center. It is semi private and clean, but if people that snore bother you then you might think about getting the Walkman and listen to music as you fall asleep and all night long. Educational programs: there are a few but not many when I left in 2003 they probably had more than they do now. They had a computer class and a couple others, but mostly what you get is other inmates asking to use an educational room to give a class on whatever it is that they know. I started to take a real estate class from an inmate before I found out that he was in prison for real estate fraud. Daily Routine: Your daily routine will consist mainly of going to work. After your eight hours of work, then you will find something to do like working out, walking track, exercising, practicing your faith, taking whatever classes available, playing cards or dominoes, reading, or studying for a possible new career. Overcrowding: I suppose it is, people are never going to stop making mistakes and getting thrown in prison. I mentioned before when you get to the camp go to the chapel ask for Steve Green and tell him uncle Martin sent you. He will take very good care of you and guide you in the right direction for the best jobs as well as breaking you in as far as the regulations go. Good luck if I don't talk to you before you leave. Spend your time wisely, keep your head down, mind your own business, and don't worry the camp is so laid back it really is a good place to do time. In the nine years I spent at Sheridan Camp I think I only saw three actual fights between inmates, there wasn’t any homosexual activity, at least not where anyone can notice. And maybe 11 escape attempts some were successful. don't forget that they count you every four hours. Some while you are at work, Some while you are sleeping, And some are standup counts. More on that later,