Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-17-2004, 09:44 PM

Default Sheridan FCI Info

It's been a while since I've posted, so thought I would chime in with some info of my own on Sheridan FCI. My surrender date is right around the corner now, July 21st to be exact. So I've said goodbye to my friends and family and am now spending my last days of freedom in Salem, OR. Salem is about 30 miles southeast of the prison. I actually got an awesome deal on a Extended Stay America hotel. The whole week i(yes 7 days) is costing me $190 total with tax. That works out to about $25 a day, you CANNOT beat that deal for people wanting to come visit loved ones at the prison. The room isnt big, but has everything you need including stove, microwave, refrigerator, sink, dishes, etc. The drive from Salem to the prison is VERY easy and takes about 30-35 mins. You only have to switch freeways once from 22 west to 18 north, the prison is right off of hwy 18 at Bridge Street.

I decided to drive out to the prison Thursday and actually got some great info from the control officer. For those that dont know, when you get to the prison you have to stop about 25 yards inside the entrance to the prison and pick up a phone before you can proceed any further. I spoke with a very nice officer and asked a lot of questions. This is what he told me:

If you surrender with plain (no visible logos) grey sweatpants/tshirt, they will let you keep the clothes. Same goes for plain white tennis shoes (no high tops) as long as they aren't BK (british knights), or CK (I'm not sure of the actual last brand). Same goes for underclothes (socks, underwear), as long as they are white. You are allowed to keep what you brought in, as WELL as a change of underclothing. He also told me I can bring my own toothbrush, toothpaste, deodarant, and disposable twin trac razor.

This all seemed to good to be true to me, so when I called the following day I was given the same information on top of the officer telling me I can keep my watch. The watch must not be more than $50 in value though and not have a calculator, etc. Just a plain Timex is ok.

I guess I'll find out whether all of this is true on the 21st when I surrender. I am glad I picked Sheridan as well, what others have said is completely true, the surrounding area is gorgeous, rolling hills with lots of farms and wineries. The town of Sheridan itself is so small! The population is listed at 5500 and I would be hard pressed to believe that many people live there. Main street takes about a minute to pass through. The prison sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison with the rest of the surroundings, hehe.

Well I'm making the most of my last days. I drove to the Oregon coast today and walked on the beach. Stopped at Cannon Beach and had lunch, etc. The weather was great and the drive beautiful. I actually like the city of Salem, it's still pretty small but has most things that big cities have. It's hard to believe you can buy a decent sized new home here for under $175k.

Anyway, I'm rambling now so I will end this post now. If anyone wants more info, feel free to inbox me or call me at the hotel. It's area code 503-363-7557 extension 7633 (room 138). Thanks again to everyone for all their help. I would of been in the dark on a lot of things without all the info on Prisontalk...

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Donation Award 

Glad you got to stroll along the coast today. Oegon has a beautiful coastline, full of opportunity to think, relfect or just zone out!!

It rained a bit here around Portland area.

Good luck. You will be in my thoughts.

JJT
Oregon Forum Leader
Old 07-17-2004, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the kind words JJT, I totally agree with you, the Oregon coast is beautiful. I've done a lot of reflecting these last few months as well, I just want to get this part of my life done once and for all and move on.....

Shawn
Old 07-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Donation Award 

Your profile says you found out about PTO from your girlfreind. Is she a member? Will she be able to keep us updated on how you are doing after you check in for your "state sponsored vacation" ?
Old 07-17-2004, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
Your profile says you found out about PTO from your girlfreind. Is she a member? Will she be able to keep us updated on how you are doing after you check in for your "state sponsored vacation" ?
Unfortunately she is a co-defendant in my case, and were not exactly b/f g/f anymore, . Actually she is more guilty by association than anything, which truly stinks if you ask me. She hasn't been sentenced yet, but I did get her a good lawyer when this mess first started and she isnt looking at a whole lot of time. We are still good friends but not much more, which is more than I can ask since I got her into this situation, I'm lucky she doesnt hate my guts. So to answer your question, she may be able to provide info on my status once she is released. I think she is looking at some short time, like less than a year. Something like a Martha Stewart sentence, prison time+house arrest.

Shawn
Old 07-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Donation Award 

I wish her well, and a Martha style sentence. "That's so Martha" now has a different meaning!! LOL

It is nice that you were able to take care of her, as best you could, before the relationship fell apart. Very gentlemanly of you.

11 Arcade Championships!! You HAVE had some time on your hands!!!

JJT
Old 07-19-2004, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
I wish her well, and a Martha style sentence. "That's so Martha" now has a different meaning!! LOL

It is nice that you were able to take care of her, as best you could, before the relationship fell apart. Very gentlemanly of you.

11 Arcade Championships!! You HAVE had some time on your hands!!!

JJT
I'm really hoping she gets that style of sentence as she has no record at all, this is her first time in trouble with the law ever. I feel like crap for putting her into this position. I basically ruined my credit to get her an attorney as it cost me 20k (cash advance on 3 credit cards), but it's worht every penny if it saves her even an extra day of incarceration. Our ex employer lied so much to the FBI it wasnt even funny, basically causing her to get a few bogus adjustments. This is why I dont feel bad for cooperating with the Department of Insurance in their investigation of our previous employer. They are a LOT dirtier than I ever was.

Yeah, I've basically had the last 10 months off so to speak, so lots of free time on my hands. I did have 16 titles at one time, but a few people have come along and knocked me off my throne hehe

Shawn
Old 07-19-2004, 12:50 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkEVO

Yeah, I've basically had the last 10 months off so to speak, so lots of free time on my hands. I did have 16 titles at one time, but a few people have come along and knocked me off my throne hehe

Shawn
Hope you aren't going to spend your last two nights stuck in a motel room playing Arcade Games!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
Hope you aren't going to spend your last two nights stuck in a motel room playing Arcade Games!!!!
Other than maybe catching a movie tomorrow, and MAYBE a trip to the strip club (gonna be a long time before I see a live naked woman, hehe) not much else to do. Sometimes I'm tempted to turn myself in early, but what for? The room is paid for through Wednesday, so why not stay out and watch a little tv and enjoy regular food while I can, right?

This is so hard to turn myself in, but I know if I tried to run away from it all, it would be ten times worse on me in the long run. Better to get it done and move on.....

Shawn
Old 07-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Donation Award 

***waves a fist full of dollar bills in the air***

LMAO!!! Sounds like a plan!

Running at this point is not a wise option. Yep. Get it over with and get it done.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,380 Times in 4,637 Posts

You could walk down to the Capitol building, find yourself a Senator and chat awhile about the injustice of mandatory sentencing. hehe!! I'm glad you're enjoying Oregon's scenery. At Sheridan, you'll see deer, wild turkeys (no - not "Wild Turkey"!!) , hawks, vultures, whole flocks of geese landing on the pond, etc. Not to mention the silver razor wire glinting in the sun ... until the rains start in November. We Oregonians aim to please... You're going to the FCI? You'll probably see my husband there - he's the one with the tatoos. LOL!
Old 07-19-2004, 09:15 PM

Sheridan is set in a beautiful location. On the rare clear days you can see Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and The Sisters. The Willamette Valley is beautiful. You'll have about six weeks before the rainy season starts. All in all Sheridan isn't a bad place to do time.

I tried to give you a call Shawn but just got your machine. Was just going to offer you a few words of encouragement. All you can do is accept your circumstances. Get into a routine that keeps you occupied. Be sure to mind your own business. Before you know it it'll be time to go home. Good luck my friend.