Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM

Default How do they calculate good time??

I was wondering if anyone knew how TDCJ ccalculates good time? My man got 1 yr so 80% of 1 yr is 9.6months. He has been locked up since Oct 29th. So Im thinking his 80% will be up around 3rd week in Aug? Im just wondering if im calculating correct. Also was wondering if what I heard was true about good time. I was told that TDCJ sends a computer generated email with the inmates progress report to the court 30 days after the inmate reaches his 80%. I was questioning that because they posted a letter in the dorm in the prison says all this should take place when the inmate reaches 70%.Can anyone shed light on this. Oh and thanks for taking the time to respond. Have a blessed day!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Thanked 11,113 Times in 6,009 Posts

Is this a State Jail offense committed on or after September 01, 2011? The offense date is critical to the determination of whether anyone is even eligible for diligent participation credits...

The question went unanswered in the OP's other thread.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,974 Posts

80% of 365 days is 292 days. Counting the day he was locked up plus each day of each month after that and the day he hits the mark I figure that his 292nd day will be August 16. That's 3 days in October (2012) plus 3 months with 30 days, 5 months with 31 days, one month with 28 days and 16 days of the remaining month.

And, to underscore what CenTexLyn is asking, you had asked in another thread why nothing had been done about awarding him good time on his sentence. If he committed his offense prior to 9/1/2011 then he is not eligible to receive the credit and that would be the answer your question.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 08-12-2013 at 11:52 AM..